3550-3750 Not trunking

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Ned, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Trunking on two switches: 3550 and 3750; 3all 550 vtp counters all
    zero; any ideas what's wrong here ? TIA,Ned

    3550
    vtp mode transparent
    vtp domain TEST1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet1/0/49
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    Cat3550#
    6d03h: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consoleshow int g0/1
    trunk
    Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
    Gi0/1 on 802.1q trunking 1
    Port Vlans allowed on trunk
    Gi0/1 1-4094
    Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
    Gi0/1 1,18,21,172
    Port Vlans in spanning tree forwarding state and not pruned
    Gi0/1 1,18,21,172
    Cat3550#show vtp count
    VTP statistics:
    Summary advertisements received : 0
    Subset advertisements received : 0
    Request advertisements received : 0
    Summary advertisements transmitted : 0
    Subset advertisements transmitted : 0
    Request advertisements transmitted : 0
    Number of config revision errors : 0
    Number of config digest errors : 0
    Number of V1 summary errors : 0
    VTP pruning statistics:
    Trunk Join Transmitted Join Received Summary advts
    received from
    non-pruning-capable
    device
    ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
    ---------------------------
    Gi0/1 0 0 0
    ***********************

    3750
    vtp domain TEST1
    vtp mode transparent
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
    no ip address
    3750#show vtp count
    VTP statistics:
    Summary advertisements received : 1137
    Subset advertisements received : 1
    Request advertisements received : 0
    Summary advertisements transmitted : 1085
    Subset advertisements transmitted : 2
    Request advertisements transmitted : 1
    Number of config revision errors : 0
    Number of config digest errors : 0
    Number of V1 summary errors : 0
    VTP pruning statistics:
    Trunk Join Transmitted Join Received Summary advts
    received from
    non-pruning-capable
    device
    ---------------- ---------------- ----------------
    ---------------------------
    Gi1/0/49 0 0 0
    3750#show int g1/0/49 trunk
    Port Mode Encapsulation Status Native vlan
    Gi1/0/49 on 802.1q trunking 1
    Port Vlans allowed on trunk
    Gi1/0/49 1-4094
    Port Vlans allowed and active in management domain
    Gi1/0/49 1-2,21,96-97,172,921,926

    Ned, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Ned

    thrill5 Guest

    You have VTP turned off... VTP transparent, means to ignore VTP packets and
    to pass them from one trunk port to all other trunk ports as if they were
    broadcast packets. VTP disabled, the switch also ignores VTP packets but
    does not propagated out to other trunk ports. Setting the VTP domain has no
    effect when VTP is disabled or in transparent mode. The 3570 must count the
    packets even though VTP is not turned on.

    Scott

    thrill5, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Ned

    Trouble Guest

    You need to turn off auto neg on both sides or make one side auto and
    the other hardcode

    Trouble, Mar 28, 2006
  4. Ned

    Merv Guest