    3550 12G. I am thinking of using this switch as the access point for all
    the uplinks in the MFD.
    thanks

    John, Oct 25, 2003

  2. John

    Chris Thomas Guest

    In article <Qiwmb.3597$>, tchia60
    @hotmail.com says...
    > I have a site with access switchs(3550) uplink to the MFD and is not more
    > than 100 meter. No server on this site, all users will access services at
    > the corporate.
    >
    > Quest 1. If I want to use gig for uplink, Should I use fiber or copper. What
    > is the pro and cons.
    >
    > Quest 2. Does any know what is the price diffrent between 3550 12T and
    > 3550 12G. I am thinking of using this switch as the access point for all
    > the uplinks in the MFD.

    I suggest you also look at the 3750. You get 24 gig ports for half
    as much as the 3550. It's a superior value, and a newer (and
    superior) product.

    Chris Thomas, Oct 25, 2003

  3. John

    shope Guest

    "John" <> wrote in message
    > I have a site with access switchs(3550) uplink to the MFD and is not more
    > than 100 meter. No server on this site, all users will access services at
    > the corporate.

    So - why Gigabit if al the traffic traverses a WAN? Anyway - the Q:

    > Quest 1. If I want to use gig for uplink, Should I use fiber or copper.

    What
    > is the pro and cons.

    Depends on the conditions.

    Fibre for distance, electrical isolation, or elec interference issues on the
    routes.

    Note that just because the switches are close together doesnt mean there is
    an easy cabling route - or it may need to go outside - which implies some
    risk from lightning.

    Generally speaking if 2 buildings are involved you should use fibre unless
    the grounds of the 2 buildings are bonded together, have the same electric
    feed and you have a well protected route between them.

    > Quest 2. Does any know what is the price diffrent between 3550 12T and
    > 3550 12G. I am thinking of using this switch as the access point for all
    > the uplinks in the MFD.

    They are the same price ($10k each) - but fibre will cost more to install,
    and you would need GBICs, and fibre patch leads.

    --
    Regards

    shope, Oct 26, 2003