3524 XL to basic switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by John Olinger, Sep 3, 2004.

  1. John Olinger

    John Olinger Guest

    I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
    switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
    devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
    wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
    that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
    previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.

    Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
    mode?

    Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
    root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
    switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
    fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
    fiber modules or have to buy new switches).

    I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
    I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.

    Please respond to
    John Olinger, Sep 3, 2004

  2. John Olinger

    Guest

    On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (John Olinger) wrote:

    >I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
    >switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
    >devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
    >wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
    >that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
    >previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
    >
    >Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
    >mode?
    >
    >Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
    >root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
    >switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
    >fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
    >fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
    >
    >I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
    >I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
    >
    >Please respond to

    It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
    Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
    performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
    on the switch.

    If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
    "password recovery 3524".

    -Chris
    , Sep 3, 2004

  3. John Olinger

    John Olinger Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (John Olinger) wrote:
    >
    > >I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
    > >switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
    > >devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
    > >wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
    > >that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
    > >previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
    > >
    > >Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
    > >mode?
    > >
    > >Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
    > >root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
    > >switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
    > >fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
    > >fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
    > >
    > >I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
    > >I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
    > >
    > >Please respond to

    > It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
    > Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
    > performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
    > on the switch.
    >
    > If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
    > "password recovery 3524".
    >
    > -Chris

    This is good information. I have the password. Too bad I don't know
    anything about how to configure the switch. The web based config tool
    and CLI/telnet is confusing when you don't understand the commands.
    Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me out? I can give
    remote access to it. I've got a case started with Cisco. How is
    their support? Do they give much hands on assistance?
    John Olinger, Sep 3, 2004
  4. John Olinger

    PES Guest

    "John Olinger" <> wrote in message
    > wrote in message
    >> On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (John Olinger) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
    >> >switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
    >> >devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
    >> >wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
    >> >that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
    >> >previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
    >> >
    >> >Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
    >> >mode?
    >> >
    >> >Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
    >> >root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
    >> >switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
    >> >fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
    >> >fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
    >> >
    >> >I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
    >> >I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
    >> >
    >> >Please respond to

    >> It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
    >> Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
    >> performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
    >> on the switch.
    >>
    >> If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
    >> "password recovery 3524".
    >>
    >> -Chris

    > This is good information. I have the password. Too bad I don't know
    > anything about how to configure the switch. The web based config tool
    > and CLI/telnet is confusing when you don't understand the commands.
    > Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me out? I can give
    > remote access to it. I've got a case started with Cisco. How is
    > their support? Do they give much hands on assistance?

    Cisco support is usually pretty good. They will help with this. If you
    simply want to make sure that speed and duplex is auto, you can do the
    following.

    Telnet to the switch:

    enable
    show run

    on the screen look for "speed x" or "duplex x"

    If there are any settings, note each interface number (fastethernet 0/x)

    go to config mode by typing

    "conf t"

    modify the interfaces that you noted

    "interface 0/x"
    "no speed"
    "no duplex"
    "exit"

    do the next int

    exit global config

    "exit"

    at the prompt that is switchname#

    type the following to save the config
    write mem

    Also, in the config you will probably want to make sure spanning tree is
    disabled, or that there is a command under each interfaces that enables
    "spanning-tree portfast".
    PES, Sep 4, 2004
  5. John Olinger

    Guest

    On 3 Sep 2004 13:19:55 -0700, (John Olinger) wrote:

    > wrote in message news:<>...
    >> On 2 Sep 2004 18:07:50 -0700, (John Olinger) wrote:
    >>
    >> >I'm new to Cisco switches. I've inherited a network with two 3524 XL
    >> >switches that were previously configured. I've plugged in some
    >> >devices into ports that were configured to other devices, and I'm
    >> >wondering if this could be causing some network issues. The issues
    >> >that I'm having are slow response from new devices plugged into the
    >> >previously configured ports. Also, browsing issues.
    >> >
    >> >Is it possible to set the switch into a reset / autodetect / basic
    >> >mode?
    >> >
    >> >Essentially, I want to determine if the switch configuration is the
    >> >root of the problem. To test, I thought of popping in an unmanaged
    >> >switch (the network is 9 PCs) to see if that would help, but I have a
    >> >fiber run that connects to manufacturing (thus I need the Ciscos with
    >> >fiber modules or have to buy new switches).
    >> >
    >> >I'm happy to learn more about Cisco and reconfigure, but of course,
    >> >I'm under time constraints to get a solution fast.
    >> >
    >> >Please respond to

    >> It's possible those ports were hard-configured to full duplex.
    >> Plugging in something that expects to negotiate will cause very poor
    >> performance. If you've got the passwords, try looking at the config
    >> on the switch.
    >>
    >> If you don't have the passwords, then search the cisco site for
    >> "password recovery 3524".
    >>
    >> -Chris

    >This is good information. I have the password. Too bad I don't know
    >anything about how to configure the switch. The web based config tool
    >and CLI/telnet is confusing when you don't understand the commands.
    >Do you know anyone who would be willing to help me out? I can give
    >remote access to it. I've got a case started with Cisco. How is
    >their support? Do they give much hands on assistance?

    Not sure I'd trust a stranger to setup my switch.

    Anyway, if you want more specific help, you'll probably need to post
    the configuration. Here's some quick steps.

    1. Telnet to the switch, using the password.
    2. Enter "enable" and give it the password again
    3. Enter "show run" (short for show running-config)
    4. Copy and post the config file. For security reasons, you should
    edit out any passwords (even encrypted ones) or publicly accessible ip
    address.

    Looking at the config you'll see sections call interface fastethernet
    0/1. Within those sections, you'll commands that configure that
    particular port. If you see "duplex full" then the port has been set
    to full duplex, etc.

    To change the config, from the enabled cli type "config t".
    Then enter "interface fa 0/1" for port 1, etc
    Then enter whatever setting. For example no duplex (meaning no fixed
    setting). I recommend "spanning-tree portfast" for ports connected to
    PCs and the normal spanning tree routine can cause problems getting
    dhcp reservations. Type exit to get out of the config mode.

    When you're done and happy with the running config, you can save it by
    "copy run start". You can also copy the config to a tftp server with
    "copy run tftp".

    A very helpful hint is that you can hit tab anytime to get a list of
    possible commands or to auto complete the line.
    , Sep 4, 2004
  6. John Olinger

    John Olinger Guest

    Your posts have been helpful. Yet, I'm still so new at Cisco cli and
    the terminology. From time to time, I've subcontracted consultants to
    assist me with unfamiliar technology. Do you know of any Cisco
    consultants/orgs that may be able to help? Obviously, I want a legit
    consultant and/or company. I've worked with Cisco support to
    establish a case, but our support contract is no longer valid. And to
    be honest, I don't care to know Cisco. I'm more of an software
    AD/DNS/Exchange/Sharepoint/VeritasBE/AV guy.
    John Olinger, Sep 10, 2004
  7. John Olinger

    DL Guest

    Hi..

    If you still need help on this issue or looking for a Cisco expert for
    contracted support, I will be able to help. I'm a Sr. Network
    Engineer who has been working with routers/switches for 7 yrs. I
    provide my service for reasonable fee. Please contact me at
    "" for further info.

    Thanks.
    DL, Sep 22, 2004