350D or D50 or good P&S

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Per Ting, Sep 17, 2005.

  1. Per Ting

    Per Ting Guest

    Hi;

    After ahving Fujifilm 2800 for 4 years, and being frustrated by its low
    light performance, speed, flash, and lack of controls I have decided to
    move one step up. My usage is general indoor and outdoor, some nature,
    mainly family occasion (indoor, with and without flash) and some portrait.
    The low noise and speed od DSLRs is attarctive to me but if I choose a DSLR
    I will use it with a single zoom lens, I will not be carrying multiple
    lenses around.

    I cannot choose between Canon 350D and Nikon D50 (or a good P&S). From the
    reviews it seems D50 has better noise characteristics but 350D has higer
    resolution and is sharper. The kit lens of D50 seems better than that of
    350D. If I go with d50 probably I will go with the 18-70 zoom that is
    standatd on D70.

    I would appreciate sharing your experience and thoughts. My case agains
    most P&S's is their high noise level and speed, but if there are good
    candidates, I will consider them.

    Thanks

    Far
    Per Ting, Sep 17, 2005

  2. "Per Ting" wrote...
    > Hi;
    >
    > After ahving Fujifilm 2800 for 4 years, and being frustrated by its low
    > light performance, speed, flash, and lack of controls
    ><some snipped for easy reply>
    > I cannot choose between Canon 350D and Nikon D50 (or a good P&S). From the
    > reviews it seems D50 has better noise characteristics but 350D has higer
    > resolution and is sharper. The kit lens of D50 seems better than that of
    > 350D. If I go with d50 probably I will go with the 18-70 zoom that is
    > standatd on D70.

    Since low light performance, speed and flash are big issues with your type
    of photography (whatever that is) you need to go dSLR in my opinion. No P&S
    is very good in low light, and fast, and has a hotshoe. dSLRs though are,
    though to differing degrees of course.

    I think any of the dSLRs you've identified are good to fix the problems
    you've had with P&S. I'm not up on Nikon much, but isn't the D50 a lesser
    (more entry level) than the D70? Even though the D50 came out after the D70.
    Personally I'd go with the Canon 350D only because you'll have a wider of
    selection of lenses. Both Canon and Nikon tend to be good quality (every
    company has a lemon or two, only these two have fewer lemons on average in
    the industry). I also find the Canon's come in a little cheaper (a $100 or
    so for equal model) and that little bit can be applied toward accessories
    like extra batteries, more cards etc...

    Whatever you go with I think all the dSLRs you mentioned are good choices.

    Take care,
    Linda
    Linda Nieuwenstein, Sep 17, 2005

  3. Per Ting

    Bill Guest

    Per Ting wrote:

    >I cannot choose between Canon 350D and Nikon D50 (or a good P&S). From the
    >reviews it seems D50 has better noise characteristics but 350D has higer
    >resolution and is sharper.

    The noise levels, resolution, sharpness are all negligible between the
    two. More important things are features and controls.

    > The kit lens of D50 seems better than that of
    >350D. If I go with d50 probably I will go with the 18-70 zoom that is
    >standatd on D70.

    Either DSLR model would be a good choice. Just remember that the lense
    is usually much more important than the body. Both 18-55 "kit" lenses
    are of mediocre quality. The Nikon 18-70 is decent, as is the Canon
    17-85.

    DSLR gives you lots of options and lense choices that you just don't get
    with a P&S. But if you only want one lense and have no need for the
    performance of a DSLR, it might be more practical to go with a good P&S
    camera.
    Bill, Sep 17, 2005
  4. Per Ting

    Pete D Guest

    "Per Ting" <> wrote in message
    > Hi;
    >
    > After ahving Fujifilm 2800 for 4 years, and being frustrated by its low
    > light performance, speed, flash, and lack of controls I have decided to
    > move one step up. My usage is general indoor and outdoor, some nature,
    > mainly family occasion (indoor, with and without flash) and some portrait.
    > The low noise and speed od DSLRs is attarctive to me but if I choose a
    > DSLR
    > I will use it with a single zoom lens, I will not be carrying multiple
    > lenses around.
    >
    > I cannot choose between Canon 350D and Nikon D50 (or a good P&S). From the
    > reviews it seems D50 has better noise characteristics but 350D has higer
    > resolution and is sharper. The kit lens of D50 seems better than that of
    > 350D. If I go with d50 probably I will go with the 18-70 zoom that is
    > standatd on D70.
    >
    > I would appreciate sharing your experience and thoughts. My case agains
    > most P&S's is their high noise level and speed, but if there are good
    > candidates, I will consider them.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Far

    Perhaps then you should look at a Pentax Ds or DL and a Sigma 18-200mm lens,
    will do everything you want and a whole lot more.
    Pete D, Sep 17, 2005
  5. On Sat, 17 Sep 2005 13:12:06 +0000, Per Ting wrote:

    > Hi;
    >
    > After ahving Fujifilm 2800 for 4 years, and being frustrated by its low
    > light performance, speed, flash, and lack of controls I have decided to
    > move one step up. My usage is general indoor and outdoor, some nature,
    > mainly family occasion (indoor, with and without flash) and some portrait.
    > The low noise and speed od DSLRs is attarctive to me but if I choose a
    > DSLR I will use it with a single zoom lens, I will not be carrying
    > multiple lenses around.
    >
    > I cannot choose between Canon 350D and Nikon D50 (or a good P&S). From the
    > reviews it seems D50 has better noise characteristics but 350D has higer
    > resolution and is sharper. The kit lens of D50 seems better than that of
    > 350D. If I go with d50 probably I will go with the 18-70 zoom that is
    > standatd on D70.
    >
    > I would appreciate sharing your experience and thoughts. My case agains
    > most P&S's is their high noise level and speed, but if there are good
    > candidates, I will consider them.

    Don't weight your decision on getting the 350D over the D50 too much on
    sensor resolution. The 350D's 3456 x 2304 pixels is not all that much
    more than the 3008 x 2000 of the D50. In an 8x10, you'll never notice the
    difference between the two.

    What I'm mainly wondering is why you picked the 350D and the D50? Since
    your main criteria are low light performance, low noise, speed (I assume
    speed of operation and not ISO values), overall versatility, I would
    recommend that you look at getting a used (or new, if you can find one)
    Canon 10D. Yes, it won't take the new EF-S lenses, but I consider that of
    little consequence. What I do consider of consequence is the 10D has
    lower noise at all ISOs than either the 350 or D50. Particularly, at the
    two highest settings. At its max speed of 3200, the 10D has about the same
    noise the others have at 1600. And at 1600, it has about HALF! No small
    feat. And less noise makes for sharper looking prints. Overall, the 10D
    should meet, exceed more than likely, any of your photo requirements.

    Now, as to a lens. The 10D won't take those Canon EF-S lenses, but no
    matter. There are a lot of other lenses, both Canon and independent
    makers, zooms and primes, that will work just fine. Just pick one
    you like. After all, it's only a 6MP sensor. And we're talking lenses
    designed for film, which needs lenses of considerably more resolving power
    than a 6MP sensor. However, since you want ONE, do-it-all zoom lens, I
    myself am quite satisfied with the Sigma 18-50 f3.5/5.6 D I use on my
    Canon D30. I've tested it on a friend's 10D against his Canon EF 20-35 and
    with 8x10 prints, both "real" ones done at a lab and inkjets output on
    the same printer, and I can't see any difference with the naked eye. With
    an 8X loupe? Yes, I can see differences, but we're talking the equivalent
    of a 64 x 80 inch print!

    Stefan
    Stefan Patric, Sep 17, 2005
  6. Per Ting

    alex Guest

    Caught in same dilema last weekend, bought a 350D two days ago, based on all
    the reviews put the 350D ahead of the D50 in terms of exposure levels and
    wash out in some tests, but everyone rates diffferently.... The D50 doesn't
    do ISO 100 either.

    Been shoiting with the Canon today in London and got some fab shots.

    IF you do go for the D50, Jessops are doing it with the stock 18-55 lens
    plus a 55-200 all for £650 which is not a bad starter for ten.

    WHICH Digital Camera this month do a comparison test of the starter DSLRs
    (Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Plympus) and both these are in it...10 mins reading
    (Page 24)

    Alex

    alex, Sep 17, 2005
  7. Per Ting

    Tony Guest

    "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > should meet, exceed more than likely, any of your photo requirements.
    >
    > Now, as to a lens. The 10D won't take those Canon EF-S lenses, but no
    > matter. There are a lot of other lenses, both Canon and independent
    > makers, zooms and primes, that will work just fine. Just pick one
    > you like. After all, it's only a 6MP sensor. And we're talking lenses
    > designed for film, which needs lenses of considerably more resolving power
    > than a 6MP sensor. However, since you want ONE, do-it-all zoom lens, I
    > myself am quite satisfied with the Sigma 18-50 f3.5/5.6 D I use on my
    > Canon D30. I've tested it on a friend's 10D against his Canon EF 20-35 and
    > with 8x10 prints, both "real" ones done at a lab and inkjets output on
    > the same printer, and I can't see any difference with the naked eye. With
    > an 8X loupe? Yes, I can see differences, but we're talking the equivalent

    Interestingly the price of a new 10D right now is about the same as a 20D.
    Tony, Sep 20, 2005