    Does PVLAN require some extra license to enable?

    --
    Will

    Will, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Private VLAN Catalyst Switch Support Matrix
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_tech_note09186a0080094830.shtml

    Private VLAN edge support :
    Cisco IOS Release 12.0(5)XU

    The PVLAN edge (protected port) is a feature that has only local
    significance to the switch (unlike Private Vlans), and there is no isolation
    provided between two protected ports located on different switches. A
    protected port does not forward any traffic (unicast, multicast, or
    broadcast) to any other port that is also a protected port in the same
    switch. Traffic cannot be forwarded between protected ports at L2, all
    traffic passing between protected ports must be forwarded through a Layer 3
    (L3) device.

    PVLANs provide layer 2 isolation between ports within the same broadcast
    domain. There are three types of PVLAN ports:
    Promiscuous- A promiscuous port can communicate with all interfaces,
    including the isolated and community ports within a PVLAN.
    Isolated- An isolated port has complete Layer 2 separation from the other
    ports within the same PVLAN, but not from the promiscuous ports. PVLANs
    block all traffic to isolated ports except traffic from promiscuous ports.
    Traffic from isolated port is forwarded only to promiscuous ports.
    Community- Community ports communicate among themselves and with their
    promiscuous ports. These interfaces are separated at Layer 2 from all other
    interfaces in other communities or isolated ports within their PVLAN.

    Note: Some switches (as specified in the Private VLAN Catalyst Switch
    Support Matrix ) currently support only the PVLAN Edge feature. The term
    "protected ports" also refers to this feature. PVLAN Edge ports have a
    restriction that prevents communication with other protected ports on the
    same switch. Protected ports on separate switches, however, can communicate
    with each other. Do not confuse this feature with the normal PVLAN
    configurations that this document shows. For more information on protected
    ports, refer to the Configuring Port Security section of the document
    Configuring Port-Based Traffic Control.

    Configuring Protected Ports

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...n_guide_chapter09186a00803fb0d1.html#xtocid10

    www.ipnetworks.it, Oct 4, 2006