    future, so advice on a printer would not go amiss.

    Thanks in Advance

    KM
    Kev, Jan 30, 2006

  2. > I am mainly interested in
    > 2 kinds of photography, Landscape(as I live in Ireland) and Sport.
    > I have to take into consideration Budget, which is really tight,

    Those subjects are poles apart. You need wide for landscapes, and long
    tele for sports. You should assume 2 lenses. A single lens that claims
    to do both is likely to be seriously compromised.

    An indication of your actual budget would help. Jessops do a 350D +
    17-85mm IS + 70-300mm IS combo for 1540GBP. That would be suitable for
    what you need and provide good quality images. You could doubtless get
    that kit a bit cheaper, Jessops aren't the cheapest.

    If that's way over your budget you'll need to compromise. Either start
    with one lens, buy cheaper lenses, buy used, import from the US. It's
    hard to know what to suggest without knowing what you want to spend or
    where you are happy to compromise to find your "happy medium".
    Derek Fountain, Jan 30, 2006

  3. Kev

    ice70 Guest

    One of the nice things about the nikon system is that the lens work
    pretty much throughout the range, so you can quite easily pick up a
    cheaper (older lens) on ebay that meets your requirements, but perhaps
    does not allow all the features on the camera - I am quite happily
    using the standard 50mm f1.8 AF lens that came with my F801s all those
    years ago (15?) on my D70, with minimal function impact - although
    when I start using the lenses that came with the F2AS built in the
    70's i do loose quite a lot of features, but I can still take
    pictures.

    ice70, Jan 30, 2006
  4. Kev

    SMS Guest

    Derek Fountain wrote:
    > > I am mainly interested in
    >> 2 kinds of photography, Landscape(as I live in Ireland) and Sport.
    >> I have to take into consideration Budget, which is really tight,

    > Those subjects are poles apart. You need wide for landscapes, and long
    > tele for sports. You should assume 2 lenses. A single lens that claims
    > to do both is likely to be seriously compromised.
    >
    > An indication of your actual budget would help. Jessops do a 350D +
    > 17-85mm IS + 70-300mm IS combo for 1540GBP. That would be suitable for
    > what you need and provide good quality images. You could doubtless get
    > that kit a bit cheaper, Jessops aren't the cheapest.
    >
    > If that's way over your budget you'll need to compromise. Either start
    > with one lens, buy cheaper lenses, buy used, import from the US. It's
    > hard to know what to suggest without knowing what you want to spend or
    > where you are happy to compromise to find your "happy medium".

    One the good things about Canon, is that all of the EOS lenses will work
    on the digital bodies. You can buy used EOS lenses for less than new
    ones, though they tend to hold their value pretty well.

    With Nikon, there are all sorts of limitations as to which older lenses
    will work, and how well. You can see a compatibility list at
    "http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/other/compatibility.html"

    Still, the Nikon D50 is $250 less than the Canon EOS-350D (which is more
    of a competitor to the D70s than the D50). Canon has no entry-level
    D-SLR like the Nikon D50.
    SMS, Jan 30, 2006
  5. Kev

    RustY© Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in message
    > HI all:
    > I need your expertise advice here.

    But you are asking the wrong question. Decide on the lenses that you want /
    need / can afford first. That will answer this question for you.
    RustY©, Jan 30, 2006
  6. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Hi all:
    Thanks for the replies
    I should have told you that my Budget is £1000, about £700 now and £300 in
    about 1 month.
    I do appreciate that that my interests are poles apart.
    What would I expect to pay for a 350D with an 18-55mm, and 70-300mm, second
    hand in good condition..
    Once again thanks.
    Kev, Jan 30, 2006
  7. "Kev" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    > Thanks for the replies
    > I should have told you that my Budget is £1000, about £700 now and £300 in
    > about 1 month.
    > I do appreciate that that my interests are poles apart.
    > What would I expect to pay for a 350D with an 18-55mm, and 70-300mm,
    > second hand in good condition..
    > Once again thanks.

    Keep in mind, that if you buy the Nikon, all the lenses that are made for it
    will fit, because Nikon uses on the F mount. Cannon has more than one
    lenses mount, so if you purchase that camera, you need to make sure any
    follow on Canon camera will take the lenses you have purchased.

    Nikon film cameras are great values and any lenses you get in a film version
    would work on a digital later. Nikon is closing out all their 35mm film
    cameras except the top of the line and one on the bottom, so you could get a
    great deal on film now, learn how to use it, then keep the lenses, and move
    to digital later when you budget and the prices are closer together.

    The D50 is a good camera, I suspect the D70s will come down in price over
    the next 6 months because of the D200 being released. If you can wait, you
    can get a better deal later.

    However, the previous information, know how it will be used, what lenses
    will do those things for you, then you will know which camera to purchase.

    Old Man River
    Old Man River, Jan 31, 2006
  8. Kev

    Pete D Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in message
    > HI all:
    > I need your expertise advice here.
    > At present I have a Fuji s7000, which in fairness takes some great pics
    > for me, but I now want to break into the DSLR market. I am mainly
    > interested in 2 kinds of photography, Landscape(as I live in Ireland) and
    > Sport.
    > I have to take into consideration Budget, which is really tight, and the
    > price of lenses. I know usually the more you spend the better the lens,
    > but I need a happy medium.
    >
    > I have also mulled over the possibility of Children portraits in the near
    > future, so advice on a printer would not go amiss.
    >
    > Thanks in Advance
    >
    > KM

    Kev,

    Both cameras will meet your needs, both have a good range of lenses and
    accessories, buy the one that you like to use, you may find the D70 too
    large, you might find the 350D too small, try the handling and ergonomics of
    both before you choose.
    Pete D, Jan 31, 2006
  9. Kev

    alex Guest

    "Kev" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all:
    > Thanks for the replies
    > I should have told you that my Budget is £1000, about £700 now and £300 in
    > about 1 month.
    > I do appreciate that that my interests are poles apart.
    > What would I expect to pay for a 350D with an 18-55mm, and 70-300mm,
    > second hand in good condition..
    > Once again thanks.

    Jessops will price match a .co.uk site. Got my 350D for £70 cheaper.

    You should be able to get it now for around £525 body only with easy
    headroom for the other lenses mentioned above.

    I bought the kit which has a 18-55mm which is great but not the best
    obviously...

    Good thing with Jessops is that you can walk in and try out any perspective
    buys.

    Have fun !!

    Alex
    alex, Jan 31, 2006
  10. Kev

    Guest

    Kev wrote:
    > I now want to break into the DSLR market. I am mainly interested in
    > 2 kinds of photography, Landscape

    20/2.8

    > (as I live in Ireland) and Sport.

    200/2.8

    > I have to take into consideration Budget, which is really tight, and the
    > price of lenses. I know usually the more you spend the better the lens, but
    > I need a happy medium.
    >
    > I have also mulled over the possibility of Children portraits

    50/1.8
    or
    50/1.4

    Minolta 5D: Anti-Shake