35 Megapixel screen - future LCD technology

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Gadgets, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Gadgets

    Gadgets Guest

    Something interesting from New Scientist, maybe overkill for existing video
    frame sizes, but certainly nice for stills...

    New display 'as clear as a glossy magazine'
    The prototype still-image display unveiled at London's National Gallery this
    week looked far from ready for the high street, but Hewlett-Packard is
    confident that the revolutionary liquid-crystal display technology it has
    developed will ultimately lead to ultra high-resolution flat screens ranging
    in size from a magazine page to an advertising billboard. What is more, they
    will use far less power than ordinary LCD screens, and can be made using
    cheap printing technology.
    Giant TV screens that hang on the wall have already escaped from the lab,
    and electronic displays have appeared as small e-book screens, but they
    cannot match the resolution of the colour printing process used in magazines
    and books.
    Conventional computer screens can only manage 1600 by 1200 pixels, and even
    high-definition TV displays create their images with an array of 1920 by
    1080 pixels at best. Now, HP reckons it can make an A4-sized screen with
    7000 by 5000 pixels - matching the quality of a glossy magazine. HP says it
    will be able to replicate this quality on screens all the way up to large
    electronic posters and billboards.
    In a standard LCD cell, layers of liquid crystals are sandwiched between two
    polarising filters. Normally, successive layers of liquid crystals are
    twisted in a way that rotates the polarised light passing through by 90
    degrees.
    But apply an electric field across the cell and the crystals line up so that
    they no longer rotate the light, and the cell switches on. To keep the pixel
    on or off, a transistor has to supply a "refresh" current 50 or 60 times per
    second. This transistor is costly, and the refreshing process consumes
    power.
    Polymer posts
    HP's new screen is different. It relies on a curious discovery made by its
    engineers. When liquid crystals are put in contact with polymer "posts"
    smaller than a micrometre across (see graphic), the rod-like liquid crystals
    naturally align around the post in one of two directions: horizontally, or
    tilted upward in a spiral around the post.
    Applying an electric field switches their position from horizontal (a dark
    pixel) to tilted (a lit pixel). Crucially, both states are stable, so when
    the field is removed the liquid crystals stay where they are. This means the
    screen draws no power once an image is displayed.
    HP calls the new system a post aligned bistable nematic (PABN) LCD. To make
    it, a printing plate covered with an array of sub-micrometre pits is smeared
    with a clear polymer ink and stamped onto a transparent sheet of
    polycarbonate plastic, creating a forest of polymer posts.
    The sheet is overprinted with red, green and blue filters and thin metal
    electrodes. A second transparent sheet is printed with electrodes, and a
    liquid-crystal material is sandwiched between the two.
    The crystals cling to the posts and the electrodes supply the electric field
    that flips the crystals. Several thousand posts fit in the area of a
    traditional LCD pixel, giving the display its very high resolution.
    At this week's London launch, HP showed two 4 by 3-centimetre prototypes.
    One was continually refreshed with new colour images to show how the display
    can be changed about once a second, as would be expected when turning the
    pages of an e-magazine. The other display had power only to supply the
    backlight. The last image it had received was frozen on screen with no power
    needed to maintain it.
    The images on the prototypes were undeniably coarse, with visible blemishes
    and faulty pixels. But HP stressed that PABN will not be ready for market
    any time soon. Rather, the demonstration is proof that the technology works.
    Adrian Geisow, manager of display research at HP's labs in Bristol, UK, says
    screens the size of an open magazine spread should be possible within five
    years.
    "Power consumption will depend on how quickly you 'turn' the pages," he
    says. Geisow estimates that the cost of making the PABN-based screens will
    be one-fifth that of today's LCD flat screens. The speed at which the posts
    change state is expected to improve, so a video-capable version has not been
    ruled out.

    Cheers, Jason (remove ... to reply)
    Video & Gaming: http://gadgetaus.com

    Gadgets, Oct 21, 2004

  2. Gadgets

    bmoag Guest

    I think there is some confusion here between the number of printed dots per
    inch in a glossy magazine page and the actual dpi of that cmyk image in
    terms of data density.

    bmoag, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Gadgets

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>, Gadgets says...
    > Something interesting from New Scientist, maybe overkill for existing video
    > frame sizes, but certainly nice for stills...
    >
    > New display 'as clear as a glossy magazine'
    > The prototype still-image display unveiled at London's National Gallery this
    > week looked far from ready for the high street, but Hewlett-Packard is
    > confident that the revolutionary liquid-crystal display technology it has
    > developed will ultimately lead to ultra high-resolution flat screens ranging
    > in size from a magazine page to an advertising billboard. What is more, they
    > will use far less power than ordinary LCD screens, and can be made using
    > cheap printing technology.
    > Giant TV screens that hang on the wall have already escaped from the lab,
    > and electronic displays have appeared as small e-book screens, but they
    > cannot match the resolution of the colour printing process used in magazines
    > and books.
    > Conventional computer screens can only manage 1600 by 1200 pixels, and even
    > high-definition TV displays create their images with an array of 1920 by
    > 1080 pixels at best. Now, HP reckons it can make an A4-sized screen with
    > 7000 by 5000 pixels - matching the quality of a glossy magazine. HP says it
    > will be able to replicate this quality on screens all the way up to large
    > electronic posters and billboards.
    > In a standard LCD cell, layers of liquid crystals are sandwiched between two
    > polarising filters. Normally, successive layers of liquid crystals are
    > twisted in a way that rotates the polarised light passing through by 90
    > degrees.
    > But apply an electric field across the cell and the crystals line up so that
    > they no longer rotate the light, and the cell switches on. To keep the pixel
    > on or off, a transistor has to supply a "refresh" current 50 or 60 times per
    > second. This transistor is costly, and the refreshing process consumes
    > power.
    > Polymer posts
    > HP's new screen is different. It relies on a curious discovery made by its
    > engineers. When liquid crystals are put in contact with polymer "posts"
    > smaller than a micrometre across (see graphic), the rod-like liquid crystals
    > naturally align around the post in one of two directions: horizontally, or
    > tilted upward in a spiral around the post.
    > Applying an electric field switches their position from horizontal (a dark
    > pixel) to tilted (a lit pixel). Crucially, both states are stable, so when
    > the field is removed the liquid crystals stay where they are. This means the
    > screen draws no power once an image is displayed.
    > HP calls the new system a post aligned bistable nematic (PABN) LCD.

    Not sure if I understand - does this display only have two states, dark
    and bright ? No way to represent shades of grey ?
    --

    Alfred Molon

    Alfred Molon, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Gadgets

    Owamanga Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:58:32 +0200, Alfred Molon
    <> wrote:

    >> Applying an electric field switches their position from horizontal (a dark
    >> pixel) to tilted (a lit pixel). Crucially, both states are stable, so when
    >> the field is removed the liquid crystals stay where they are. This means the
    >> screen draws no power once an image is displayed.
    >> HP calls the new system a post aligned bistable nematic (PABN) LCD.

    >Not sure if I understand - does this display only have two states, dark
    >and bright ? No way to represent shades of grey ?

    Hmm, I this is similar to the mirror-chip used in some rear-projection
    TVs. The key is to oscillate the binary-state mirror fast enough to
    simply change the mark-space ratio in order to affect the observed
    brightness of the pixel. Obviously being power-efficient in a static
    state doesn't help *that* much, other than to simplify addressing
    circuitry so it only needs to communicate with a pixel when it's state
    needs to change.

    The other approach is to bunch these incredibly tiny binary pixels
    together into groups of 256 for example to give an 8 bit capable
    pixel. A color image would require at least 3 times that amount and
    for decent color depth you'd be looking at tens of thousands of
    sub-pixels per logical pixel. But if these are small enough, who cares
    how many you need?

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Gadgets

    Guest

    , Oct 22, 2004
  6. Gadgets

    C J Campbell Guest

    "Gadgets" <info@gadgetaus....com> wrote in message
    > Something interesting from New Scientist, maybe overkill for existing

    video
    > frame sizes, but certainly nice for stills...

    The technology has been around for some time. Look at the May 26, 2000 press
    release from Southampton University:
    http://www.soton.ac.uk/~pubaffrs/0068.htm

    It is good to see that HP and others are moving the technology forward. It
    will be interesting to see what IBM and Dow Corning are developing with it.

    C J Campbell, Oct 22, 2004
  7. Gadgets

    Gadgets Guest

    I guess an 8x12 pic at 300 dpi is 2400x3600 which is what they're comparing
    to a magazine cover, disregarding that it would be printed with a 150lpi
    screen... but still the monitor has to be better than the 1.3 megapixel
    screen I'm looking at now eh?

    The dark and bright states - with current LCD aren't all pixels at 100%
    brightness, colour and intensity only controlled by how many are turned on
    in an area?

    Gadgets, Oct 23, 2004
  8. Gadgets

    Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Gadgets" <info@gadgetaus....com> stated that:

    >I guess an 8x12 pic at 300 dpi is 2400x3600 which is what they're comparing
    >to a magazine cover, disregarding that it would be printed with a 150lpi
    >screen... but still the monitor has to be better than the 1.3 megapixel
    >screen I'm looking at now eh?

    Indeed.

    >The dark and bright states - with current LCD aren't all pixels at 100%
    >brightness, colour and intensity only controlled by how many are turned on
    >in an area?

    No, they're not that bad. OTOH, the intensity of any single LCD pixel
    can't (currently, at least) be controlled as finely as that of a CRT.

    , Oct 23, 2004