    Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
    near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner for
    about $80?

    Insoo, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Insoo

    mcheu Guest

    On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 17:42:54 GMT, "Insoo" <>
    wrote::

    >Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
    >near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner for
    >about $80?

    I presume you're talking about an OEM LG 52x24x52 burner. Those are
    quite good, and I heartily recommend them. The only thing you won't
    get vs the retail version are:

    1. Mounting screws. Gotta find small pc screws yourself. Most shops
    carry them. They used to give them to you free with a drive, but
    these days, you usually have to buy them. Most of the local stores
    charge a nickel a piece for the screws -- so add .20 to the price.

    2. No internal audio cable. You can use digital audio extraction to
    play your CDs if you wish, but if you want to play the CDs via an
    analog connection, you'll probably want one of these. The alternative
    is to use the audio plug up front, but that looks horrible. Add $4 to
    the price.

    3. A bit of confusion on the warranty situation. LG seems to have
    shifted their terms a bit when it comes to the warranty on the bare
    drives. They used to call them OEM, and back then, the warranty was
    with the store. With the my last couple of LG drives, the store
    called them "bulk" drives, and informed me that the warranty was
    through LG. Any problems beyond the 14 day exchange period with the
    store, and I had to RMA it myself with LG (same as the retail drive).
    Not nearly as convenient, but I get a bit longer warranty. The days
    of walking to the corner store and walking home with a replacement the
    same day are apparently over.

    You *DO* get software with it. Nero 5.5 or 6.0 with newer manufacture
    drives, and EasyCD5 with older drives. You can usually see the CD
    under the drive in the plastic, and can clearly make out which
    software you're getting. The newer drives with Nero don't come with a
    full printed manual. The older drives with EasyCD 5 do, but the trade
    off is that EasyCD5 is crippled in the older bundle.

    Assuming the drive's new and not a refurb, there's really no reason
    not to get it.
    Thanks,
    MCheu

    mcheu, Jan 19, 2004

  3. Insoo

    Guest

    Insoo wrote:

    > Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in the
    > near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed burner for
    > about $80?

    I agree with MCheu, LG are great burners. I have two and I have
    recommended them to others. All have worked just great.

    , Jan 19, 2004
  4. Insoo

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Insoo" <> wrote in

    > Would a $35, LG 52x24x52 burner not work properly or go out on me in
    > the near future after I use it? Would it be better to buy a retailed
    > burner for about $80?

    If you wanted to get a cheap burner, I would go with a LiteOn 52x24x52 for
    around $45. Comes with all the mounting stuff, Nero, CD Audio cable,
    everything you need.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Insoo

    Hank Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > "Insoo" <> wrote in
    >
    > If you wanted to get a cheap burner, I would go with a LiteOn 52x24x52 for
    > around $45. Comes with all the mounting stuff, Nero, CD Audio cable,
    > everything you need.
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    Yep LiteOn would be my choice too, NewEgg has the 52X32X52 for 36 bucks OEM
    or 38 bucks retail and free shipping to boot. http://tinyurl.com/33gmc
    I have two of them and couldn't be happier.

    Hank

    Hank, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Insoo

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Hank" <> wrote in news:V%_Ob.32100$P%1.25565562
    @newssvr28.news.prodigy.com:

    > I have two of them and couldn't be happier.

    I have 2, and having installed a half dozen or so in the past year for
    clients. Never had a complaint before, except one customer complained that
    the damned thing burned so fast they felt a need to replace their 32x
    blanks with 52x ones, just to get the extra speed.

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Insoo

    Insoo Guest

    thanks for all the advice guys, I could just use the mounting screws and
    audio cable from my existing 8x burner. I'm also looking at an LG DVD/CD RW
    combo, for about $70. What good or useful would a DVD burner be?

    Insoo, Jan 20, 2004
  8. Insoo

    olfart Guest

    bet you could burn DVD's as well as CDR's

    olfart, Jan 20, 2004
  9. Insoo

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Insoo" <> wrote in

    > thanks for all the advice guys, I could just use the mounting screws
    > and audio cable from my existing 8x burner. I'm also looking at an LG
    > DVD/CD RW combo, for about $70. What good or useful would a DVD
    > burner be?

    It would be good for burning DVDs, but the drive you are looking at is not
    a DVD burner. It is a DVD/CDRW combo. That means it can:
    Read:
    CD
    DVD
    Burn
    CDR
    CDRW

    DeMoN LaG, Jan 20, 2004
  10. I have had 2 liteon drive and burn them both, on the third one now.

    Why you will ask, because they are really good price and work very well I
    might just have been unlucky twice I guess.....

    Arnaud

    Arno and Triny, Jan 20, 2004
  11. Insoo

    mcheu Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 05:24:49 GMT, "Insoo" <>
    wrote::

    >thanks for all the advice guys, I could just use the mounting screws and
    >audio cable from my existing 8x burner. I'm also looking at an LG DVD/CD RW
    >combo, for about $70. What good or useful would a DVD burner be?

    I presume by *combo* that you mean a DVD reader with CD-RW burning
    capability. Those aren't the same as DVD burners.

    The biggest drawback to going with a combo drive is the speed. They
    tend to have slower CD read speeds (even if the specs say otherwise)
    than a CD-RW drive. If you want to watch DVD movies on your computer,
    fine, but if you don't, I'm not sure the speed trade off is worth it
    for DVD read capability.

    As for DVD burners? With a DVD decoder card or software decoder,
    you'll be able to watch DVD movies. You'll also be able to burn data
    onto DVD writeable discs, and with the right software, design your own
    DVD video discs. As far as data discs go, the currently available
    single layer DVD-R/W, +R/W, discs can hold up to 4.7Gigabytes, which
    is a fair bit. You'll still be able to burn CDRs and CDRWs, but
    again, burn speed for the CD formats will generally be slower than
    achievable on the faster CDRW drives.

    If you do go for a DVD burner, I'd suggest looking at the LG 481S or
    the NEC 4x DVD+/- burner that's been making the rounds (not sure of
    the model number). I'd avoid the LG 4040B. I bought one of those,
    and while it doesn't seem to have any trouble burning DVDs or CDs, it
    *does* have some trouble burning DVDs at its top advertised speed --
    at least in North America. I've never been able to burn any faster
    than 2x with any media, and I've tried a wide selection from what's
    available locally (TY, TDK, EMTEC, HP, Ritek, Princo, etc -- all 4x,
    both - and + variants, as well as RW discs from EMTEC and HP). Oddly,
    if you live in Europe, you may have better luck getting full speed out
    of the drive. Hopefully a future firmware update will fix it, but
    until then, consider it a 2x DVD burner. It seems to burn CDs at its
    rated speed without problems (but it's rated speed is a pokey 24x
    though).

    Thanks,
    MCheu

    mcheu, Jan 20, 2004