    don't know the F/ratio or if it was IS.

    Thanks

    Mark

    mark.worthington, Mar 17, 2005

  2. mark.worthington

    g n p Guest

    It's an L series lens, apparently "very good" optically and mechanically.
    Should be expensive.

    g n p, Mar 17, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    says...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Could anyone tell me if they would recommend this rather useful looking
    > lens. I read a useful looking article in a photo mag, written by a press
    > photographer, who said he had worn it out because it was so useful, i
    > don't know the F/ratio or if it was IS.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mark

    It's a f/3.5-5.6 lens. 28-300mm, image stabilized.

    Probably is only OK optically, considering the range covered.

    You could probably do better by getting a 28-70 and a 70-200 with a
    teleconveter, but if you've only got room for one lens, it should do all
    right.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Mar 17, 2005
  4. mark.worthington

    Jim Townsend Guest

    g n p wrote:

    > It's an L series lens, apparently "very good" optically and mechanically.
    > Should be expensive.

    About $1500.00 US

    Jim Townsend, Mar 17, 2005
  5. mark.worthington

    g n p Guest

    Yup, that's expensive (for me, at least...).

    g n p, Mar 17, 2005
  6. mark.worthington

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    Brian C. Baird <> wrote:

    > says...
    >> Could anyone tell me if they would recommend this rather useful looking
    >> lens. I read a useful looking article in a photo mag, written by a press
    >> photographer, who said he had worn it out because it was so useful, i
    >> don't know the F/ratio or if it was IS.

    > It's a f/3.5-5.6 lens. 28-300mm, image stabilized.
    > Probably is only OK optically, considering the range covered.
    > You could probably do better by getting a 28-70 and a 70-200 with a
    > teleconveter, but if you've only got room for one lens, it should
    > do all right.

    Good advice, but the 35-350/3.5-5.6 L is an old lens without image
    stabilization, whereas the 28-300/3.5-5.6 L is a newer model with IS.

    Given the price and weight of these lenses, you have to ask why not buy
    a Tamron 28-300/3.5-6.3 and a long Canon telephoto with IS, which would
    give great results.

    Bill Tuthill, Mar 17, 2005