    Now I am not sure if 32bit windows will run or if 64Bit Vista is more stable
    than 64Bit XP.

    Your thoughts please?
    Wild Packet, Nov 26, 2006

  2. Yes. 32-bit Windows XP will run just fine on an x64 processor, and that's
    generally the best solution for the average consumer. For more details about
    x64, and making a choice of 64-bit or 32-bit, see:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 26, 2006

  3. Wild Packet

    Wild Packet Guest

    Thanks Charlie. I ended up running Vista x64 RC1 and have installed all of
    my apps without a hitch. Hopefully they run as smoothly as they installed. I
    guess what I take from this as experience is that XP x64 is just CRAP. And
    thats hard for me to say as I am known as Mr. Microsoft around town, the
    office and throughout my family members. Hey, 2 products in 10 years is not
    bad. (the other was Exchange 5.5)

    Thanks again.
    Alex

    Wild Packet, Nov 26, 2006
  4. No, XP Pro x64 is not crap. There was something wrong with your setup. You
    may have needed updated hard drive controller drivers.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 26, 2006
  5. Believe me, XP x64 isn't crap, it's a rock solid OS that I used every day
    for 18 months. (and Exchange 5.5? Loved it. Exchange 2k, OTOH, really was
    crap!)

    That being said, I'm glad you're running well on Vista x64.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 26, 2006
  6. Wild Packet

    mikeyhsd Guest

    the problem stems from the PLUG INS. they DO NOT install in 64 bit IE.
    its a simple process to copy the address, run the 32 bit IE, paste the address in and install the plug in from there,

    works all the time for me.

    mikeyhsd, Nov 26, 2006
  7. Wild Packet

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Yep, me too. Been runnign XP x64 here for over a year and I love it, rock
    solid and fast.

    I'm putting off going to Vista x64 until there's more drivers available and
    I need DirectX 10, Or until MS release something that only runs on Vista
    that I want

    BTW I like Exchange 2003, I hope 2007 is even better :)

    At the moment I'm taking 5 times as long to do anything in Office 2007 as I
    did in Office 2003, but I expect I'll get used to it

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Nov 27, 2006
  8. I don't expect to get used to Office 2007. I expect to stay on Office 2k3
    for as long as I can. Frankly, I think Office 2k7 is an unmitigated
    disaster.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 27, 2006
  9. Strangely enough, I have the exact opposite problem... x64 runs like a
    dream, 64 bit Vista RTM does nothing but ask for non existant drivers. Oh
    well, c'est la vie. 32 bit Vista is fine.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    http://www.coribright.com/windows

    Cari \(MS-MVP\), Nov 28, 2006