    from nero, office, visio, ethereal, packet sniffing stuff, vmware e.t.c.
    Just wondering if I'll be better off using the 32 bit version rather than 64
    bit for app compatability ????
    =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEdlZQ==?=, Nov 16, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEdlZQ==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I personally had many programs that would not install or run properly on
    64-bit. Some because of drivers others just wouldn't install or run.

    John Barnes, Nov 16, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEdlZQ==?=

    mikeyhsd Guest

    way to many programs that do not run on vista at this time.
    for max use best to use 32 bit xp pro.
    64 bit xp pro still has driver issues more than program compatibility ones

    mikeyhsd, Nov 16, 2006
  4. Please read:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl..._XP_Professional_x64_Edition_Right_for_Me.doc

    It was written for XP x64, but many of the same issues are still true and
    will be for the early days of Vista.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 16, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?Um9iIEdlZQ==?=

    Jud Hendrix Guest

    On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 02:06:02 -0800, Rob Gee <Rob
    > wrote:

    >Hi, Just after a bit of advice,
    >Recently took delivery of a new 64bit HP laptop, which I'll be using to run
    >Vista. I do a lot of onsite IT consultancy work and use a wide range of apps
    >from nero, office, visio, ethereal, packet sniffing stuff, vmware e.t.c.
    >Just wondering if I'll be better off using the 32 bit version rather than 64
    >bit for app compatability ????

    The applications you have don't look as if they will really benefit from
    running on 64-bit. Besides it will probably be difficult to get them to run
    on 64-bits. I would just stick to 32-bit.

    jud
    Jud Hendrix, Nov 16, 2006
  6. All of the programs you listed will install and run on x64. Check your
    laptop's mfg and make sure that the modem and NIC have Vista x64 drivers.
    You did not mention other peripherals. Drivers, not software look to be
    your main concern. Question: If you are satisfied with the performance of
    your software under XP 32bit, why not stick with Vista 32bit? If it ain't
    broke, don't fix it.

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 17, 2006