    I have recently upgraded to x64, in the process I lost access to all the
    data on the remaining 32bit drives in my system, can anyone help me with a
    way to access them?
    Dshai, Oct 9, 2006

  2. Dshai

    Theo Guest

    Exactly what is your hardware configuration? Do you have a
    RAID configuration? Do you have a mix of IDE, SATA, and/or
    SCSI hard drives?

    Win x64 should see any drives in your system that are
    formatted in either FAT, FAT32, or NTFS, and if you have all
    needed controller drivers for SATA, RAID, and/or SCSI.

    Theo, Oct 9, 2006

  3. Hard drives are not 32bit or 64bit. They are mass storage devices. If you
    are referring to FAT32 formatted drives, you should not have a problem
    seeing them using XP Pro x64. If you are running SATA or SCSI drives you
    need to install the hard drive controller driver before the system will
    access the drives.

    Colin Barnhorst, Oct 10, 2006
  4. Yes, and the driver will have to be 64bit!!! Search the manufacturer's (HD's
    and/or Motherboard) site.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 10, 2006
  5. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    They are all IDE, the drive the O/S is on is also IDE, the drivers are
    64bit, the drives are a mix of FAT32 and NTFS.

    Dshai, Oct 10, 2006
  6. So you say you have 6 drives. That means to me that they are NOT on standard
    IDE slots, but almost certainly a RAID/IDE controller - either standalone or
    built in to the motherboard. If so, you'll almost certainly need to install
    the necessary drivers for you controller.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 10, 2006
  7. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    Yes they were on an IDE controller, 4 of them anyway, there are two HDD's on
    the board's IDE, one is an 80gb drive that I cleared and formatted in XP Pro
    prior to installing x64, however the installation wouldn't recognise the
    partition, it was NTFS, in order to install x64 I had to let it reformat the
    drive, the controller is now uninstalled, there's one drive from the
    original XP (32bit) installation connected to the board itself, it shows in
    Disk Manager with no assigned drive letter or name, and as a single 250gb
    partition, it's actually divided into a 50gb and a 200gb, it was the system
    drive for the 32bit system.While it shows in Disk Manager, it doesn't show
    anywhere else in Windows.

    Andy

    Dshai, Oct 10, 2006
  8. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    All the drivers for the mainboard and it's integrated components are 64bit,
    I can see the drives that are shared on networked systems, it's only the
    single drive that ran the 32bit XP on this system that I can't access, it's
    connected to the IDE on the board itself, still shows in Disk Management as
    an un-named, letterless drivewith a single 250gb, unusable, partition, in
    order to use it I have to delete the partition then create fresh, however
    this drive is actually divided into 50gb and a 200gb partitions.

    Dshai, Oct 14, 2006
  9. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Ok, this is the situation at this point, I booted to the 32bit XP and after
    installing drivers for the new SATA Raid controller I could access the
    drives used by the 64bit system, this would lead me to believe that I need
    to find 64bit drivers for the IDE on the board, however that leaves me in
    the dark as to why I could use the same IDE to boot and run the system
    before I changed over to SATA.

    Dshai, Oct 14, 2006
  10. Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Well, try and see it like this - SATA is still ATA and therefor IDE, in
    order for it to do the Serial thing that makes ATA SATA it is connected to
    the SCSI Subsystem (under the hood) - this requires a driver.

    This is why the BIOS is seing an IDE drive, while the OS sees nothing.

    After installing the driver, the BIOS sees a SCSI drive and the OS sees a
    SATA drive.

    (Clear as mountain water, eh?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 14, 2006
  11. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Actually, I understand that fully, the SATA isn't the problem though, I'm
    now running the system off of it, the problem is the one drive that's still
    in the system and connected to the IDE, the drive that I boot into 32bit XP
    Pro doesn't show in 64bit other than showing in Disk Management as an
    un-lettered, single partition drive where-in the partition isn't even
    readable and needs to be deleted and recreated, however that drive is a
    250gb drive that's divided into 2 partitions, a 50gb with the 32bit XP
    installed on it and a 200gb for additional storage. On the other hand, if I
    boot into the 32bit I can see both partitions of the 200gb SATA drive that
    contains the 64bit installation and the additional storage for it (50gb and
    150gb respectively). I downloaded and installed VIA Hyperion Pro v504a, this
    is supposed to be 64bit drivers for this chipset and the integrated
    peripherals on the board. But, for whatever reason, I still can't see the
    HDD with the 32bit partitions and format. I'm truly at a loss here.

    Dshai, Oct 15, 2006
  12. Dshai

    John Barnes Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Was the IDE drive moved from another computer after it was loaded? When you
    say connected to the IDE, can I assume you mean the one on the motherboard.
    When you boot into xp 32 bit on the IDE, how do you do it. Change BIOS
    priority? Select from the boot menu?

    John Barnes, Oct 15, 2006
  13. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    No it wasn't moved from another computer, it's connected to the primary IDE
    on the mainboard. On post I have the option of displaying a Boot Selection
    Screen, I use this to boot to the 32bit XP, otherwise the system boots
    directly into the 64bit. As a further update, I have now loaded the latest
    VIA 64bit SATA/PATA IDE Driver, videx64 v5.30, the drive still shows as a
    single, non-usable partition in Disk Management instead of the 2 that are
    actually on it. It also comes up in System Info the same way, this tells me
    that Windows is indeed seeing the drive, just not properly identifying it,
    now to find out why...

    Dshai, Oct 15, 2006
  14. Dshai

    Theo Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Trying to figure out your problem is difficult because your
    information is very confusing.

    How many physical hard drives do you have in your system?

    What types; IDE, SAT, SCSI, etc; and how many of each?

    Are any configured in RAID? If so, give the exact configuration.

    Are all the drives attached to on-board controllers? Or do
    you also have a plug in PCI/PCI-x controllers installed, also?

    What is the type, brand, and model of each controller chip?

    What motherboard do you have; make and model?

    Theo, Oct 15, 2006
  15. Dshai

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Dshai:
    If the boot selection screen is the windows boot screen you should
    see the drives properly. If the boot selection screen is third party
    software it will usually hide the other partitions or drives.

    Dennis Pack, Oct 15, 2006
  16. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    There are presently 2 drives attached to this system, the drive that the
    64bit O/S is installed on is SATA, the drive the 32bit O/S is installed on
    is IDE, there is no raid configured at this time, that is a future
    consideration though. The Boot Selection Screen is BIOS
    derived, it allows me to choose the drive I wish to boot to, beit HDD, CD,
    or even floppy, the board is an Asus A8V with the latest revisions in BIOS
    and drivers, the drivers are all 64bit for the x64 O/S. When I boot to the
    32bit XP I can access the SATA drive and the partitions appear just as they
    should (it's a Maxtor 200gb divided into 50gb and 150gb partitions
    respectively), however when I boot into the 64bit XP I cannot access the IDE
    drive, it only shows in Disk Management and does not show the partitions
    (it's a Maxtor 250gb divided into 50gb and 200gb partitions respectively) it
    also displays no letter designation or name, merely a single 250gb partition
    that isn't recognised as a usable Windows partition. Along these lines when
    I installed x64 I did so on a drive that I'd partitioned and formatted in
    Disk Management of the 32bit XP, x64 did not recognise the partition as
    usable and would not install until I deleted the partition and recreated it
    then allowed the x64 disk to format it. It was, and still is, formatted
    NTFS.

    Dshai, Oct 16, 2006
  17. Dshai

    Theo Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Have you installed the latest VIA drivers available at
    www.viaarena.com ? The package has both 32-bit and 64-bit
    drivers in it. If not, I would get those, boot into each
    OS, and install them. Afterwards, if you are still do not
    see all of your partitions, go into the Device Manage of the
    OS they are not showing up correctly and "uninstall" the
    device. Then reboot and see if Windows finds 'new hardware'
    and installs it so that it can be seen.

    I have an Asus A8V with a combination of both IDE & SATA
    drives and I can see all drives in whatever OS I am booted
    into. Currently I have 2 Win XP Pro partitions, 1 on a SATA
    drive and 1 on an IDE drive. I have 1 Win x64 partition on
    a SATA drive. At the moment I have BIOS 221, but will
    probably update it to 226.

    If everything is up to date, you should not have any problem
    seeing all your partitions. You might try a brand new,
    80-conductor, IDE cable.

    Theo, Oct 16, 2006
  18. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Yes I have installed the latest package from Viarena, I tried uninstalling
    the drive from device manager and rebooting, the drive is back, it wasn't
    found as new hardware though, just reappeared in device manager, I've tried
    4 different 80-conductor cables with the same results, I believe I'll try
    removing the drive in device manager then physically remove the drive and
    see what happens on the reinstall.

    Dshai, Oct 16, 2006
  19. Dshai

    Dshai Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    Well, so much for that idea, the results are the same, I even went so far as
    to install another HDD on the other IDE connector, it also shows as a
    single, unusable partition in Disk Management with no letter assigned.

    Dshai, Oct 16, 2006
  20. Dshai

    Theo Guest

    Re: 32bit drives on 64bit Windows Update

    I guess from here you could try a Repair Install of x64 with
    all the drives connected. If that doesn't work, then you
    could try a clean install of x64 with all the drives connected.

    Theo, Oct 17, 2006