  1. My 32bit application cannot see my USB hardware.
    Despite of the fact that there are no drivers necessary.
    Is this expected?
    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Please give us more details about your usb hardware and 32 bit applications.
    Moreover, how does your usb hardware show in Device Manager?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 14, 2006

  3. it does not show at all in the device manager.
    Probably because I don't have any driver for it.
    But I also don't need any driver -- I've got an application that can
    communicate with it fine on 32bit XP.
    Only on 64bit XP the application has greyed out the USB connections.
    This leads me to assume that a 32 bit application running on 64bit XP cannot
    see the USB ports.
    It is a GPS for cars and I just updated it on 32 bit XP.
    So I don't have any urgent problem other that I've got to keep my second
    nearly 9year old computer running 32bit XP.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Jan 14, 2006
  4. it shows in device manager as "USB device" with a yellow question mark
    -- under "other devices"

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Jan 14, 2006
  5. Ok. So we have an USB GPS.
    Can you specify make, model #?
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 14, 2006
  6. You need a 64-bit driver for it. The manufacturer will need to provide that,
    I'm afraid.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 14, 2006
  7. "Carlos" wrote:

    > Ok. So we have an USB GPS.
    > Can you specify make, model #?

    I don't know what this could help.
    Can anybody access USB ports from 32bit applications?
    This is a garmin Streetpilot 2620.
    The 32bit application comes from:
    http://www.garmin.com/products/webupdater/howtoinstall.jsp

    Again -- this does not need a driver since this GPS cannot be used from a
    computer.
    It can only be updated from a computer.
    And for this it only needs basic USB functionality.

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Jan 15, 2006
  8. Peter:
    Software updates are available at the manufacturer's page:
    http://www.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=010-00357-03
    USB drivers are available there, but as they are dated 2004 I presume they
    are only for 32-bit systems.
    Please contact to the manufacturer for a solution.
    You do need a 64-bit driver as Charlie says.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 15, 2006
  9. I did not need to install a driver on the 32bit system and there iit worked.
    What makes you think I need a driver for the 64bit system?

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Jan 15, 2006
  10. I take this back. I installed drivers on the 32bit system.
    You're right -- I need to ask for 64 bit drivers
    Peter

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=, Jan 15, 2006
  11. See the operating systems supported at the bottom of this page:
    http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=521
    Windows x64 is not in that list.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jan 15, 2006
  12. Because it isn't working without it? If you go into Device Manager and
    right click on the device you should see a properties page that tells you
    that the driver is not installed.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jan 15, 2006
  13. :)

    --