    if i start explorer-32bit and explorer-64bit (same folderoptions) and browse
    within both for ex. to \windows\system32 i have different results .

    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, May 18, 2005

  2. Hi,

    Juergen Kluth wrote:
    > if i start explorer-32bit and explorer-64bit (same folderoptions) and
    > browse within both for ex. to \windows\system32 i have different
    > results .

    You have just experienced the "File System Redirection" of the Wow64. The
    64-Bit explorer displays the content of the %windir%\System32 directory
    where the 64-Bit binaries are stored, whereas the 32-Bit explorer displays
    the contents of %windir%\SysWow64 where the 32-Bit binaries are.

    May be you want to have a look at this Wow64 presentation:
    http://download.microsoft.com/downl...41f2-893d-a6f2295b40c8/DW04040_WINHEC2004.ppt

    Regards,

    --
    Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
    Division Développeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France

    Christophe Lauer [MS], May 18, 2005

  3. Hi,
    OK, Thanks, yes i understand,
    i had a look to msdn....or anywhere at msft.

    Now (on that) i have a new "meditation": If you have knowhow or
    experience.....

    -
    if I do a backup, or an image, from *within Windows with an older 32bit-
    version (older means available now)
    i should have an eye on these folders.
    -
    might be (have not checked it) internal ntbackup will have either this or
    that result, may be both...
    -
    further i guess i may have "64bit" results if i do a remote access (drive$),
    or both ?
    -
    if i do an image for backup/restore, i am on good side, if i do it from
    outside OS

    any else ?

    regards juergen

    Juergen Kluth, May 18, 2005
  4. Hi Juergen,

    Juergen Kluth wrote:
    > if I do a backup, or an image, from *within Windows with an older
    > 32bit- version (older means available now)
    > i should have an eye on these folders.

    To my knowledge, current 32-Bit backup software will run in the Wow64 on x64
    systems, and as a consequence, they will have file system redirection, which
    means that they will show the contents of %window%\SysWow64 and present it
    as being %windir%\System32. You should get a Windows x64 compatible version
    of your backup solution from your software vendor.

    x64 versions of Veritas and Atempo backup solutions should be available
    shortly, as mentionned on this page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/app64catalog.aspx

    > might be (have not checked it) internal ntbackup will have either
    > this or that result, may be both...

    Windows XP Pro x64 Machine comes with a 64-Bit version of NTBackup. This
    means that NTBackup will show you woth System32 and SysWow64 directories,
    and can backup/restore them.

    > further i guess i may have "64bit" results if i do a remote access
    > (drive$), or both ?

    A remote access to the whole disk through \\machinename\c$ shows the whole
    filesystem, which means that you'll see both the
    \\machinename\c$\Windows\System32 and \\machinename\c$\Windows\SysWow64\
    directories

    > if i do an image for backup/restore, i am on good side, if i do it
    > from outside OS

    I guess so but I'm unsure. May be someone can have an more detailled answer
    to this question.

    Some information about "File System Redirection" in Windows x64:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../en-us/win64/win64/file_system_redirector.asp

    Regards,

    Christophe Lauer [MS], May 19, 2005
  5. Juergen Kluth

    Dennis Pack Guest

    "Christophe Lauer [MS]" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Juergen,
    >
    > Juergen Kluth wrote:
    >> if I do a backup, or an image, from *within Windows with an older
    >> 32bit- version (older means available now)
    >> i should have an eye on these folders.

    > To my knowledge, current 32-Bit backup software will run in the Wow64 on
    > x64 systems, and as a consequence, they will have file system redirection,
    > which means that they will show the contents of %window%\SysWow64 and
    > present it as being %windir%\System32. You should get a Windows x64
    > compatible version of your backup solution from your software vendor.
    >
    > x64 versions of Veritas and Atempo backup solutions should be available
    > shortly, as mentionned on this page:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/64bit/x64/app64catalog.aspx
    >
    >> might be (have not checked it) internal ntbackup will have either
    >> this or that result, may be both...

    > Windows XP Pro x64 Machine comes with a 64-Bit version of NTBackup. This
    > means that NTBackup will show you woth System32 and SysWow64 directories,
    > and can backup/restore them.
    >
    >> further i guess i may have "64bit" results if i do a remote access
    >> (drive$), or both ?

    > A remote access to the whole disk through \\machinename\c$ shows the whole
    > filesystem, which means that you'll see both the
    > \\machinename\c$\Windows\System32 and \\machinename\c$\Windows\SysWow64\
    > directories
    >
    >> if i do an image for backup/restore, i am on good side, if i do it
    >> from outside OS

    > I guess so but I'm unsure. May be someone can have an more detailled
    > answer to this question.
    >
    > Some information about "File System Redirection" in Windows x64:
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../en-us/win64/win64/file_system_redirector.asp
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > --
    > Christophe Lauer - Relations Techniques Editeurs de Logiciels
    > Division Développeurs et Plateforme d'Entreprise - Microsoft France
    > http://www.microsoft.com/france/msdn/
    > rights.

    Ghost 9.0 would copy the x64 image while running xp32 but after installing
    the image it would corrupt. Retrospect 7.0 installs and functions properly
    in x64.

    Dennis Pack, May 21, 2005