    What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
    Windows XP

    Geopelia, Sep 28, 2009

  2. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h9q657$djl$-september.org>,
    says...
    > What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    > plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
    > Windows XP

    If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).

    To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    Command prompt), and type:
    winver
    press the Enter key.

    If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    Dave Doe, Sep 28, 2009

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <h9q657$djl$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've
    >> got.
    >> Windows XP

    > If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    >
    > To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    > Command prompt), and type:
    > winver
    > press the Enter key.
    >
    > If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    Thank you
    I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
    winver.
    It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600

    I suppose that would be 32bit.

    I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work on
    XP 64 bit.

    Geopelia, Sep 28, 2009
  4. On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:59:10 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
    >> Windows XP

    >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    >
    >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    >Command prompt), and type:
    >winver
    >press the Enter key.
    >
    >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    Alternative method:

    To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit

    run winmsd
    check the value for Processor
    if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
    if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Sep 28, 2009
  5. Geopelia

    thingy Guest

    On Sep 29, 9:49 am, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:59:10 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    > >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
    > >> Windows XP

    > >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).

    > >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    > >Command prompt), and type:
    > >winver
    > >press the Enter key.

    > >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    > Alternative method:
    >
    > To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
    >
    > run winmsd
    > check the value for Processor
    > if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
    > if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

    um.....

    You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
    cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
    at the Ram above 3.2gb...so knowing the CPU is not a sure way, only
    what it could do.

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Sep 28, 2009
  6. Geopelia

    thingy Guest

    On Sep 29, 12:19 am, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    > What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    > plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
    > Windows XP

    99.9+% of home XP is going to be 32bit.....few in their right minds
    would run 64bit XP it was not / is not very good and was/is only sold
    to those who ask or buy a "big" workstation class machine....and again
    usually ask for it.

    64bitVista though seems fine, but I dont run games on it...

    regards

    thing

    thingy, Sep 28, 2009
  7. On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:47:09 +1300, Geopelia <> wrote
    in <news:h9r7co$btm$-september.org>:

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <h9q657$djl$-september.org>,
    >> says...
    >>> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    >>> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've
    >>> got.
    >>> Windows XP

    >> If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    >>
    >> To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    >> Command prompt), and type:
    >> winver
    >> press the Enter key.
    >>
    >> If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    > Thank you
    > I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
    > winver.
    > It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600
    >
    > I suppose that would be 32bit.
    >
    > I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work on
    > XP 64 bit.

    You would be perfectly safe to assume that you have the 32-bit version of
    Windows.

    --
    - Nicolaas

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Sep 29, 2009
  8. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2009-09-28, thingy <> wrote:
    > On Sep 29, 9:49 am, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz"
    ><> wrote:

    >> >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).

    >> >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    >> >Command prompt), and type:
    >> >winver
    >> >press the Enter key.

    >> >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    >> Alternative method:
    >>
    >> To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
    >>
    >> run winmsd
    >> check the value for Processor
    >> if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
    >> if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

    > um.....
    >
    > You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
    > cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
    > at the Ram above 3.2gb...

    This is a limit of the 32 bit system/CPU.

    This is one reason why you will "need" a 54 bit system/CPU

    Gordon, Sep 29, 2009
  9. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2009-09-28, thingy <> wrote:

    >> You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
    >> cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
    >> at the Ram above 3.2gb...

    > This is a limit of the 32 bit system/CPU.

    So Windows 2000 Enterprise which is only 32 bit doesn't support over
    3.2GB of RAM? I think not.

    EMB, Sep 29, 2009
  10. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 00:59:10 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >
    > >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    > >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've got.
    > >> Windows XP

    > >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    > >
    > >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    > >Command prompt), and type:
    > >winver
    > >press the Enter key.
    > >
    > >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    > Alternative method:
    >
    > To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
    >
    > run winmsd
    > check the value for Processor
    > if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
    > if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

    Will all due respect, I think you are getting crossed up with x86 (and
    x64!) and Itanium architecture.

    The most popular 64bit platform is gonna be x64, by a long shot (vs.
    Itanium (IA64)).

    Does that makes sense?

    Dave Doe, Sep 29, 2009
  11. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h9r7co$btm$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <h9q657$djl$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    > >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits I've
    > >> got.
    > >> Windows XP

    > > If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    > >
    > > To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    > > Command prompt), and type:
    > > winver
    > > press the Enter key.
    > >
    > > If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    > Thank you
    > I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
    > winver.

    Yes it does. Had you actually tried typing, you'd have found text being
    inserted right beside the "C prompt" - where there's a little flashing
    "underscore" (called a cursor).

    > It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600

    Meaningless, that's just the command prompt info, and is equivalent to
    typing:
    ver

    at the command prompt, followed by the <Enter> key.

    > I suppose that would be 32bit.
    >
    > I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work on
    > XP 64 bit.

    Ah huh! - now you mention the reason for your question in the first
    place - secondly. Great.

    I can reasonably assure you, and would be willing to put $1,000 bet on
    it, that you are running 32bit Windows XP. (You would not have got very
    far on 64bit XP without some problems (mainly driver support, eg any
    oldish printer).

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 29, 2009
  12. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    says...
    > In article <>,
    > says...

    > > >If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    > > >
    > > >To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    > > >Command prompt), and type:
    > > >winver
    > > >press the Enter key.
    > > >
    > > >If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    > > Alternative method:
    > >
    > > To establish whether a processor is 32 bit or 64 bit
    > >
    > > run winmsd
    > > check the value for Processor
    > > if it starts with x86 : 32-bit
    > > if it starts with ia64 : 64-bit.

    > Will all due respect, I think you are getting crossed up with x86 (and
    > x64!) and Itanium architecture.
    >
    > The most popular 64bit platform is gonna be x64, by a long shot (vs.
    > Itanium (IA64)).
    >
    > Does that makes sense?

    I spose it is more correct, to say x86-64, rather than x64.

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 29, 2009
  13. Geopelia

    EMB Guest

    Dave Doe wrote:

    > I spose it is more correct, to say x86-64, rather than x64.

    EM64T, or Intel64 are probably more correct still.

    EMB, Sep 29, 2009
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Nicolaas Hawkins" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 09:47:09 +1300, Geopelia <> wrote
    > in <news:h9r7co$btm$-september.org>:
    >
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <h9q657$djl$-september.org>,
    >>> says...
    >>>
    >>> If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    >>>
    >>> To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    >>> Command prompt), and type:
    >>> winver
    >>> press the Enter key.
    >>>
    >>> If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    >> Thank you
    >> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
    >> winver.
    >> It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600
    >>
    >> I suppose that would be 32bit.
    >>
    >> I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work
    >> on
    >> XP 64 bit.

    > You would be perfectly safe to assume that you have the 32-bit version of
    > Windows.

    Thank you.

    Geopelia, Sep 29, 2009
  15. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <h9r7co$btm$-september.org>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <h9q657$djl$-september.org>,
    >> > says...
    >> >
    >> > If you don't know, you've almost certainly got XP (32bit).
    >> >
    >> > To be sure, open a command prompt (Start, All PRograms, Accessories,
    >> > Command prompt), and type:
    >> > winver
    >> > press the Enter key.
    >> >
    >> > If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows XP.

    >> Thank you
    >> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
    >> winver.

    > Yes it does. Had you actually tried typing, you'd have found text being
    > inserted right beside the "C prompt" - where there's a little flashing
    > "underscore" (called a cursor).

    Thank you.
    I was expecting a box to type it in. I've just typed it in, but can't see
    anything about bits in what came up.

    >> It says I've got Windows XP version 5.1.2600

    > Meaningless, that's just the command prompt info, and is equivalent to
    > typing:
    > ver
    >
    > at the command prompt, followed by the <Enter> key.
    >

    >> I suppose that would be 32bit.
    >>
    >> I'm going to try to instal Trend Micro Pro, which they say doesn't work
    >> on
    >> XP 64 bit.

    > Ah huh! - now you mention the reason for your question in the first
    > place - secondly. Great.
    >
    > I can reasonably assure you, and would be willing to put $1,000 bet on
    > it, that you are running 32bit Windows XP. (You would not have got very
    > far on 64bit XP without some problems (mainly driver support, eg any
    > oldish printer).

    Thank you. I hope all the instructions for installing Pro are very simple.
    There are pages of stuff.
    We shall see!

    Geopelia, Sep 29, 2009
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >> What do I click to find out if I have 32 or 64 bits please? I've found
    >> plenty of computer information, but none of it says how many bits
    >> I've got. Windows XP

    > You would know if you had 64. It's most uncommon and not in general use.
    >
    > geoff

    Thank you.
    The previous posters have lost me, but that usually happens as I know so
    little.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Sep 29, 2009
  17. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h9svs3$eun$-september.org>,
    says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <h9r7co$btm$-september.org>,
    > > says...
    > >>
    > >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    > >> Thank you
    > >> I did that, a black page with white text comes up but nowhere to type
    > >> winver.

    > > Yes it does. Had you actually tried typing, you'd have found text being
    > > inserted right beside the "C prompt" - where there's a little flashing
    > > "underscore" (called a cursor).

    > Thank you.
    > I was expecting a box to type it in. I've just typed it in, but can't see
    > anything about bits in what came up.

    As above - If it does not state 64bit in there, you have 32bit Windows
    XP.

    So you have the 32bit version.

    <snip>
    > Thank you. I hope all the instructions for installing Pro are very simple.
    > There are pages of stuff.
    > We shall see!

    Get into it! :)1

    --
    Duncan.

    Dave Doe, Sep 30, 2009
  18. Geopelia

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    Den 2009-09-29 skrev EMB <>:
    > Gordon wrote:
    >> On 2009-09-28, thingy <> wrote:

    >>> You can run 64bit on x86....I am running 64bit on a quad core Q6600
    >>> cpu with 8gb of ram....or I can run 32bit on it, but then I cant get
    >>> at the Ram above 3.2gb...

    >> This is a limit of the 32 bit system/CPU.

    > So Windows 2000 Enterprise which is only 32 bit doesn't support over
    > 3.2GB of RAM? I think not.

    The 32-bit CPU can't address more than 4 GB memory.
    No one is talking about a game consol.

    Gunnar Gren, Sep 30, 2009
  19. Geopelia

    Gunnar Gren Guest

    Den 2009-09-29 skrev Geopelia <>:

    > Thank you.
    > The previous posters have lost me, but that usually happens as I know so
    > little.

    And now you know more! isn't life fantastic.

    Gunnar Gren, Sep 30, 2009
  20. Geopelia

    AD. Guest

    On Sep 30, 11:48 pm, Gunnar Gren <> wrote:
    > The 32-bit CPU can't address more than 4 GB memory.
    > No one is talking about a game consol.

    That hasn't been the case since the Pentium Pro way back when.

    What it comes down to is whether the OS supports PAE - and 32bit XP
    doesn't. Certain Windows Server editions (and other OSes) do support
    it though - hence EMBs reply.

    You will still find that individual 32bit processes are still limited
    in what they can address though.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton