    I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
    20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
    win2000
    albert, Oct 28, 2003

  2. albert

    roach Guest

    it may do
    I installed a Maxtor 160gig drive that was recognised at full capacity at
    bios level
    but only showed as 126gig at windows level (winxp pro)
    installing sp1 cured this so fit the drive and see what fdisk reports

    roach
    roach, Oct 28, 2003

  3. albert

    HamMan Guest

    > I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
    > 20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
    > win2000

    Not likely, but the disk manufacturer usally provides a program to get over
    the BIOS limits.
    Visit the manufacturers site to see what support they have, i know for
    definite that Maxtor and IBM have programs for this.

    Hamman
    HamMan, Oct 28, 2003
  4. albert

    Buffalo Guest

    Many times an updated BIOS will let the motherboard recognize the whole
    capacity.
    Go to your mfg's (motherboard or PC brand) website.
    As for your question, I don't believe so.
    It is a motherboard limitation, not Windows2000.

    Buffalo, Oct 28, 2003
  5. albert

    Shep© Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:02:27 GMT, Knowing that it was a Hollywood
    invention that lemmings jump off cliffs albert <noemail@noemail.4me>
    wrote :

    > I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
    >20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
    > win2000

    No as the limit is your hardware,not the file system.
    Try here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de
    Shep©, Oct 28, 2003
  6. albert

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:02:27 GMT, albert <noemail@noemail.4me> wrote:

    > I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
    >20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
    > win2000

    No, but you can use an overlay to overcome the bios limitation.
    My bios can't see past 32 gigs but I am using a 120 gig drive via an overlay.

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640
    Barry OGrady, Oct 29, 2003
  7. albert

    Plato Guest

    roach wrote:

    > it may do
    > I installed a Maxtor 160gig drive that was recognised at full capacity at
    > bios level
    > but only showed as 126gig at windows level (winxp pro)
    > installing sp1 cured this so fit the drive and see what fdisk reports

    For a greater than 132 drive you need both bios support and sp1 support.
    Your response has nothing to do with the OPs question tho. . .

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 29, 2003
  8. albert

    Plato Guest

    Barry OGrady wrote:

    > > I was wondering if I took a 60gb H/D & had it partitioned to 3
    > >20gb partitions would it work in a PC that is limited to 32gb.
    > > win2000

    > No, but you can use an overlay to overcome the bios limitation.
    > My bios can't see past 32 gigs but I am using a 120 gig drive via an overlay.

    True. But the overlay may or may not work, depending on the OPs system.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 29, 2003
  9. albert

    albert Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 08:02:27 GMT, albert <noemail@noemail.4me> wrote:
    Thaks for all the help . I D/l maxblast from Maxtor & I'll try that
    later .
    Thanks again

    albert, Oct 29, 2003