    anyone using Windows 64 search the system fields to see if it's being
    distributed?

    Thanks.

    Rene, Nov 26, 2005

  2. sitting in the SysWOW64 directory is: msjet40.dll. 1,507,358 bytes, dated
    25/3/2005.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 26, 2005

  3. Rene

    Rene Guest

    Pardon my extreme ignorance but does this means that my 32 bit C#
    application that uses the 32 bit msjet40.dll will work with the msjet40.dll
    located under the SysWOW64 directory?

    Is the msjet40.dll file located under the SysWOW64 as 32 bit compiled file,
    a 64 bit compiled file or am I asking a very stupid question?

    Rene, Nov 26, 2005
  4. Rene

    James Park Guest

    "Rene" <> wrote in message
    > Pardon my extreme ignorance but does this means that my 32 bit C#
    > application that uses the 32 bit msjet40.dll will work with the
    > msjet40.dll located under the SysWOW64 directory?

    If you compiled a .NET 1.0 or 1.1 assembly, almost certainly yes. If you
    compiled a .NET 2.0 assembly, be sure to set /platform:x86. The default of
    /platform:any will mean that the program will run as 64-bit and will
    complain when it tries to look for a 64-bit version of jet (which doesn't
    yet exist [I don't think]). You can read more about it at
    http://blogs.msdn.com/joshwil/archive/2004/10/15/243019.aspx

    > Is the msjet40.dll file located under the SysWOW64 as 32 bit compiled
    > file, a 64 bit compiled file or am I asking a very stupid question?

    That's not at all stupid since the directory naming is rather misleading.
    All the stuff in the System32 directory is 64-bit, and all the stuff in
    SysWOW64 is 32-bit.

    James Park, Nov 26, 2005
  5. You're asking a stupid question. ;)

    If it's in the SysWOW64 directory, it's a 32-bit program. 64-bit programs
    are in the System32 directory. Makes sense, right? Yeah, well, apparently it
    made sense to someone, and now we all get to live with it.

    Will your application work? I have no idea. It _should_ work, if you don't
    have a system level driver required. And if you create an installer for it
    that isn't 16 bit. But since I didnt' write the code (and haven't since the
    days when I did some socket programming in C on UNIX), there's no way I can
    know for sure. But both the just released Visual Studio 2005, and the
    previous release, VS .NET, have the ability to compile against the x64
    platform when still running on a 32-bit platform. Even if you don't convert
    your 32-bit program, but just let it run in WOW64 (Windows on Windows 64),
    it would probably pay to try a compile to see what issues you're creating
    for yourself.

    Your best bet is to do a bit of research on MSDN. There's several good
    articles on x64 and the issues around it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 26, 2005
  6. "Is the msjet40.dll file located under the SysWOW64 as 32 bit compiled file,
    a 64 bit compiled file or am I asking a very stupid question?"

    How Much Wood Would a Woodchuck Chuck..... ;)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Nov 26, 2005
  7. WOW64 means "Windows 32-bit On Windows 64-bit." All programs in the WOW64
    directory are 32-bit and are run by x64 on a thin emulation layer for
    backwards compatibility. Such programs are not native 64-bit programs so it
    follows that msjet40.dll is a 32-bit dll or it would be in the native x64
    folder instead of WOW64. The confusion comes because the "64" in WOW64
    makes that folder look like it should contain 64-bit stuff when all it
    really means is "32 on 64."

    Colin Barnhorst, Nov 26, 2005
  8. Rene

    Rene Guest