  1. I'm running 64bit WIN 7 and I believe that my 32bit version of MSIE 8 has
    been corrupted. My 64bit version of MSIE 8 is fine. How can I delete and
    replace my 32bit version of MSIE 8?
    Thomas Giammo, Aug 10, 2010

  2. What makes you think 32-bit IE8 is corrupted?

    As far as I know there is no IE8 for Win 7 download because it's
    included in Win 7.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 10, 2010

  3. Thomas Giammo

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Thomas:
    A way that may work is to remove then add IE through turn on/off Windows
    components. An add-on may be causing a problem with IE 32-bit and not
    64-bit. Try running IE without add-ons from Accessories/System Tools. Have a
    great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    Win-7 Enterprise x64, Win-7 Professional x64.
    Dennis Pack, Aug 10, 2010
  4. It is behaving erratically. For example, when I bring up the Google site in
    the 32 bit MSIE, keying in a search term becomes a hit or miss affair, with
    the typing extremely slow and with some letters not appearing at all when
    typed.

    As I said, this is not a problem on the 64bit version. In addition, my wife
    also has a WIN 7 64bit machine and there is no problem in entering in Google
    search terms on either her 32bit MSIE 8 or 64 bit MSIE 8.

    Thomas Giammo

    Thomas Giammo, Aug 10, 2010
  5. Dennis:

    Following your advice, I disabled all of my add-ons in the 32bit version -
    and it did not help.

    Will I be able to reload a new 32bit version of MSIE 8 after I turn it off
    via Windows Components?

    Tom Giammo

    Thomas Giammo, Aug 10, 2010
  6. Thomas Giammo

    Carlos Guest

    Thomas,
    What makes you think that IE 32-bit is corrupted?
    Any error messages?
    Have you tried disabling add-ons?
    Add-ons can be managed via Tools, Manage Add-ons.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 10, 2010
  7. Thomas Giammo

    Dennis Pack Guest

    Thomas:
    Following " A way that may work is to remove then add IE through turn
    on/off Windows
    components." After removing IE8 reboot the computer then add IE8 back the
    same way that it was removed.

    Dennis Pack, Aug 10, 2010
  8. As I answered earlier:

    Thomas Giammo, Aug 10, 2010
  9. Dennis:

    I removed IE8 feature; rebooted; confirmed than 32bit MSIE8 had been removed
    from C:\program files (x86); added IE8 feature back; rebooted again;
    confirmed that 32bit MSIE8 was again in C:\program files (x86); brought up
    google.com; - but still could not type in query statements completely.

    It appeared as though the very same copy of the 32bit MSIE 8 had been
    restored - same size, same 7/13/2009 file dates. There must be some way to
    be sure that I'm getting and installing a new copy.

    Thomas Giammo, Aug 11, 2010
  10. To those who have been trying to help me:

    I was wrong in thinking that I had disabled all the 32bit MSIE8 add-ons.
    There were still a number left. I went back and got rid of those that I did
    not recognize, but my problems were not eliminated.

    I then transferred my wife's copy of her 32bit MSIE8 program to my machine
    and then ran it from a folder other than C:\program files (x86). I still
    had the same problems on my machine. Surprisingly, the list of remaining
    add-ons shown from her copy was identical to what I had left on my original
    copy of my own 32bit MSIE8 - so they must be stored somewhere in the
    registry rather than been associated with a specific copy of the program
    itself.

    I got to quit for now. I'll go back tomorrow and try something else.

    Tom Giammo

    Thomas Giammo, Aug 11, 2010
  11. Thomas Giammo

    Carlos Guest

    Thomas,
    Try this (my Windows is in Spanish so translation may differ slightly).
    Open IE32, choose Tools, Internet Options, Advanced Options tab.
    There is a button in the lower part for resetting (or restoring) your
    default IE settings.
    Sometimes it does the magic.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 11, 2010
  12. Thomas Giammo

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Thomas.

    As the others said, you can't "delete" IE8 from Win7, so you can't "delete
    and replace" it. IE is an integral part of Windows.

    The only thing you can do in this vein is, as you mentioned in another
    message in this thread, to Turn it Off - and then Turn it On again. But
    that affects both versions (32-bit and 64-bit) of IE8. To try that, go to
    Control Panel | Programs and Features. On the left side of that screen,
    click Turn Windows features on or off, then remove the check from the
    Internet Explorer 8 box. Reboot, then repeat the exercise to check the box
    again.

    But I'm not sure this will do any good. I haven't heard this complaint from
    anyone else.

    The two versions of IE8 are different, of course. For one thing, Adobe's
    Flash Player won't run in 64-bit IE8 but it runs fine in 32-bit IE8 in
    64-bit Windows. You probably already know that.

    Have you run a malware scan? Recently? Have you tried the System File
    Checker (sfc /scannow) ?

    I'll ask some more-tech-savvy MVPs to see if they have any clues.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP
    Windows Live Mail 2010 (15.3.2804.0607) in Win7 Ultimate x64

    R. C. White, Aug 11, 2010
  13. "Carlos" <> wrote in message
    > Thomas,
    > Try this (my Windows is in Spanish so translation may differ
    > slightly).
    > Open IE32, choose Tools, Internet Options, Advanced Options tab.
    > There is a button in the lower part for resetting (or restoring) your
    > default IE settings.
    > Sometimes it does the magic.
    > Carlos

    Hate to hijack the thread, but I was going to ask if there is a solution
    to the 2 Hung iexplore.exe processes that IE8 leaves behind and hogs CPU
    time.
    No viruses are on the systems, multiple systems, different software,
    addons disabled, crash protection/tabs disabled etc....
    Definitely a bug in IE8. IE7 does not have this problem.

    Any solutions?

    Thanks
    Martin
    Martin Riddle, Aug 11, 2010
  14. "Thomas Giammo" <> wrote in

    > It is behaving erratically. For example, when I bring up the Google
    > site in the 32 bit MSIE, keying in a search term becomes a hit or miss
    > affair, with the typing extremely slow and with some letters not
    > appearing at all when typed.
    >
    > As I said, this is not a problem on the 64bit version. In addition,
    > my wife also has a WIN 7 64bit machine and there is no problem in
    > entering in Google search terms on either her 32bit MSIE 8 or 64 bit
    > MSIE 8.

    Thomas,

    R.C. White put out a call for help re your problem.

    Historically what you describe has been caused by an oversized/corrupt
    cache.

    Here is an *old* FAQ of mine that discusses your very problem:
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/55.html

    Clear your IE cache, and reduce its size to a max of, say, 500 Meg. Also,
    do not use the "automatically" option for checking for new versions of web
    pages.

    Sandi Hardmeier
    Microsoft MVP since 1999 (IE and, now, Consumer Security:Training)
    http://msmvps.com/spywaresucks
    http://www.ie-vista.com
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org
    Sandi Hardmeier, Aug 11, 2010
  15. "R. C. White" <> wrote in news:e91gyQPOLHA.6108
    @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

    > I'll ask some more-tech-savvy MVPs to see if they have any clues.

    Hey R.C. Well done getting me back in the groups after all this time ;)

    Sandi &c.
    Sandi Hardmeier, Aug 11, 2010
  16. Thomas Giammo

    Kerry Brown Guest

    Instead of disabling the add-ons run IE in no add-ons mode.

    All Programs => Accessories => System Tools => Internet Explorer (No
    Add-ons)

    This will ensure that there really is no add-ons running.

    Have you considered that a tool bar may be causing the problem. Try
    uninstalling all the toolbars. It could also be malware. Have you scanned
    for malware? I see where someone suggested you lower the cache size. I don't
    see anywhere in the thread where you tried this. The default in IE8 is 50MB.
    Set the cache to 50MB, delete all cookies and Temporary Internet files, exit
    IE then open it again.

    --
    Kerry Brown
    http://www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2/

    Kerry Brown, Aug 11, 2010
  17. Thomas, I've read all posts in your thread to-date. I'm also replying
    at R.C. White's request.

    First, see...

    Tips for solving problems with Internet Explorer (Win7)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Tips-for-solving-problems-with-Internet-Explorer

    Was the computer upgraded to Win7 64-bit or is it a new computer?

    1. Does the behavior persist if you start IE8 32-bit in No Add-ons
    mode?

    Explorer (No add-ons).

    NB: Starting in No Add-ons mode is NOT the same as "disabling all add-
    ons."

    2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE8 32-bit Advanced settings
    (RIES) & reboot?
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Reset-Internet-Explorer-settings

    3. What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
    your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
    Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)?

    4. Has a(nother) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on
    this machine?

    5. Did a Norton or McAfee free-trial come preinstalled on the computer
    when you bought it? (Doesn't matter if you never used or Activated
    it.)

    ========================
    You will find support for Internet Explorer in this MS forum:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/threads

    Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista
    64-bit SP2; Win7 64-bit) as well as your current IE version (e.g.,
    IE6, IE7, IE8) in your first post.
    --
    ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

    PA Bear [MS-MVP], Aug 11, 2010
  18. Thomas Giammo

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Sandi.

    Great to see you here! Thanks for the help.

    Too bad these groups' days are numbered. THIS one is living on borrowed
    time; it was scheduled for closure August 1. We're hoping it stays up
    forever - or at least until we can convince The Powers That Be at Microsoft
    that we need a comparable 64-bit Windows forum to keep this special
    Community intact and functioning.

    RC

    R. C. White, Aug 11, 2010
  19. Thomas Giammo

    Carlos Guest

    The Force is strong (Master Yoda). I can feel the Force between us.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 11, 2010
  20. > typing extremely slow and with some letters not appearing at all when
    > typed.

    Some users found that that symptom was due to their fingerprint reader
    software and unfortunately not controllable by No Add-ons mode or even RIES.

    FYI

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---
    Robert Aldwinckle, Aug 11, 2010