    help??
    --
    Ray in WA
    =?Utf-8?B?UmF5IEY=?=, Jun 13, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UmF5IEY=?=

    Rick Guest

    Ray F wrote:
    > I put together a computer with an AMD atlonXP-64 3000 processor and intalled
    > Windows XP Pro-64.
    >
    > I try to load the drivers for the motherboard and I get a message that it is
    > not a 64 bit program. I thought XP-64 had a 32 bit emulator built in. Any
    > help??

    You must have 64-bit drivers for Win x64. x64 does have a 32-bit
    emulator, but thats for running 32-bit programs, not drivers.
    Rick, Jun 13, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UmF5IEY=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Go to the motherboard site and download the 64-bit motherboard program. The
    drivers must be 64-bit. Your 32-bit programs are problematical. I
    personally have about 50% that work and 20% that partially work and 30% that
    don't work.

    John Barnes, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Drivers need to be 64-bit if they are system level drivers. Which motherboard
    drivers very certainly are. Most 32-bit programs will run fine, IF they don't
    need a driver, or they don't have a 16 bit installer.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 13, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?UmF5IEY=?=

    Randy Guest

    And of course, he can still (probably) install a 32-bit OS on his 64-bit
    capable system and run it in full 32-bit mode with 32-bit drivers and
    apps... but what a waste...

    Randy, Jun 14, 2005
  6. Not that I want to open a can of worms, but as Microsoft x64 newsgroups have
    been few, thus encompassing a very wide community, some snippets of
    information might be taken out of context.
    For instance blanket statements like "x64 Windows require 64-bit drivers"
    does not really reflect on how the Microtek V6UPL scanner worked under x64.

    Some class of devices benefit from some 32-bit emulation under x64 (either
    kernel-side or user-side), such as WIA , and there are some Kernel-side
    thunking dll that contribute to maintain functionality under x64.

    In fact, and also about 16-bit stories, I would prompt the most pragmatic
    into opening a command window and reflect on the results of the following
    commands:

    filever /v \windows\twunk_16.exe
    filever /v \windows\system32\ntvdm64.dll
    filever /v \windows\system32\wwinsock.dll
    filever /v \windows\system32\avicap.dll
    filever /v \windows\system32\avifile.dll

    As I final note, I noticed that RTM contains "MS-DOS" io.sys from Windows
    ME, but a version dated 05/15/01, 116736 bytes, which is the size of the
    unsupported version according to KB272488 ; anyone knows why ?
    =?Utf-8?B?Q2hyaXM=?=, Jun 14, 2005