    access 3 GB or do all programs running have a total access of 3 GB (as per
    the 32-bit limit)? For example, would Photoshop have 3 GB and Premiere have
    another 3 GB (total 6 GB) if they were running simulaneously?

    TJD, Mar 29, 2007

  2. TJD

    Kornél Pál Guest

    > Adobe just released a statement about their new CS3 programs and Vista
    > 64-bit. They state that the programs run fine on Vista 64-bit as 32-bit
    > programs and that each program can access up to 3 GB of RAM. My computer
    > has 8 GB of RAM. Does that mean the each 32-bit program that is running
    > can access 3 GB or do all programs running have a total access of 3 GB (as
    > per the 32-bit limit)? For example, would Photoshop have 3 GB and Premiere
    > have another 3 GB (total 6 GB) if they were running simulaneously?

    You found official data here:

    32-bit programs on 64-bit Windows are running in WOW64 that emulates a full
    4 GB virtual address space for each 32-bit process that is the maximum you
    can store in a 32-bit integer.

    3 GB virtual address space is the maximum you can reach on 32-bit Windows
    because the kernel reserves the remaining 1 GB (or the remaining 2 GB by
    default) for kernel-mode in order to be able to operate.

    I only found information about CS2:
    http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=320005

    This clearly states that the process gets 4 GB virtual adress space but
    Photoshop itself limits it's own memory usage to preserve memory for
    plug-ins as well.

    Kornél

    Kornél Pál, Mar 29, 2007

  3. TJD

    TJD Guest

    Thanks for the great information. This is very good news as I was under the
    impression that ALL running 32-bit programs ran WITHIN a single 4GB 34-bit
    RAM system in Vista 64-bit. But, your info shows a much more effective use
    of extended RAM with 64-bit Vista even when using 32-bit programs are used.

    TJD, Mar 30, 2007
  4. TJD

    Kornél Pál Guest

    Note that on 32-bit Windows each process gets a 4 GB virtual address space
    as well, the only difference is that the top 1 GB or 2 GB (depending on
    boot.ini settings) of that virtual adress space is reserved for and is used
    by kernel mode.

    Also note that even on 32-bit Windows (and with 32-bit applications running
    on 32-bit Windows) more than 4 GB memory can be used with Address Windowing
    Extensions but that would require some work of Adobe guys on the source code
    of Photoshop. See: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366527.aspx

    Kornél

    %23%23gQy$...

    Kornél Pál, Mar 30, 2007
  5. TJD

    Kornél Pál Guest

    Little correction:
    (and with 32-bit applications running on 32-bit Windows)
    --> (and with 32-bit applications running on 64-bit Windows)

    e$...

    Kornél Pál, Mar 30, 2007