    others) and are considering backing back down to Windows XP Professional.
    Will regular XP Pro take advantage of the 64-bit processors (the computer has
    dual 64-bit processors), or will the system run at 32-bit speed?
    =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=, Jun 19, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?V2lsbA==?=

    Rick Guest

    Windows XP Professional is a 32-bit operating
    system and as such will only run in the 32-bit
    mode. It will run on the 64-bit capable CPUs,
    but it will still run in the 32-bit mode. It
    will also recognize both CPUs and those programs
    that are written to take advantage of the dual
    CPUs will run as designed. You probably will
    not see any difference in speed over a 32-bit CPU.

    Rick, Jun 19, 2006

  3. * Will:

    > We are having too many compatibility issues with Windows XP Professional x64
    > Edition (printer driver troubles and Army network security issues among
    > others) and are considering backing back down to Windows XP Professional.
    > Will regular XP Pro take advantage of the 64-bit processors (the computer has
    > dual 64-bit processors), or will the system run at 32-bit speed?

    What do you mean with "32bit speed"? Just because xp x64 is 64bit
    doesn't mean it's faster (which it's not except if you have more than
    4GB of memory and/or real 64bit applications that are very cpu intensive).

    So yes, 32bit XP runs on Pentium4/XEON with EM64T (64bit extension) and
    on AMD64 processors (Athlon64/Opteron/Turion64). But no, it does not
    work on IA64 (Itanium) if that's what you run. So if you have a
    P4/XEON/AMD64 processor with less than 4GB of memory and no 64bit
    applications then 32bit xp will do the job at least as good (if not
    better) as xp x64...

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Jun 22, 2006