    have read that this actually works. Dell doesn't seem to be budging with
    this issue. Can I legally use my OEM key for a 64-bit edition of windows or
    do I need to start buying computers from HP?
    Jonathon, Jul 26, 2008

  2. You can't order OEM media from MS - what you'd end up with is a non-OEM
    version, which wouldn't accept your key.

    Dell doesn't have to sell you a 64-bit version - that's their choice. If
    they do, they have to provide the media or other method of loading it.

    Retail versions of Vista can be used for either 64-bit or 32-bit, though
    only retail Ultimate comes with both DVDs in the box. Everything else you
    have to order your media for 64-bit. And that media takes the same key as
    the 32-bit. (Again, this is RETAIL ONLY.)

    --
    Charlie.
    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2008

  3. Jonathon

    Jonathon Guest

    In that case. Can I purchase a 64-bit OEM version and install that on my
    Dell or do I have to get a retail version?

    Jonathon, Jul 26, 2008
  4. Yes, you should be able to purchase a 64-bit OEM version. However, keep in
    mind that any OEM version is permanently tied to the one machine - if you
    decide to dump that machine and build a new one, you have no rights to move
    the copy. Oh, and one other thing - an OEM version doesn't have support from
    MS. A retail one does.

    Note also that buying an "any time upgrade" moves you from OEM to Retail -
    with the attendant rights.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2008
  5. Jonathon

    Jonathon Guest

    So it is possible! But is it actually legal? I'd rather just spend $100 to
    get another OEM version if there is any chance of me getting in trouble.

    Jonathon, Jul 26, 2008
  6. Jonathon

    Mark H Guest

    You will have the same OEM version of Vista as originally installed with
    it's legally purchased product key (one on the bottom, or the Dell "company
    OEM" PK) and activated on the machine to which it was originally "tied."
    That meets the EULA.

    Doesn't matter what disk the product comes from. You can even switch between
    32-bit and 64-bit with the same key. (Of course, requires a different
    install disk.)

    Mark H, Jul 26, 2008
  7. We have been told, repeatedly, that the EULA for OEM version is one. Or the
    other. But not both. So you make a _one time_ choice - 32-bit or 64-bit. If
    you change your mind, and want to change architectures after the initial
    install? You require a new copy.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 26, 2008
  8. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Yes, you should be able to purchase a 64-bit OEM version. However, keep in
    > mind that any OEM version is permanently tied to the one machine - if you
    > decide to dump that machine and build a new one, you have no rights to
    > move the copy. Oh, and one other thing - an OEM version doesn't have
    > support from MS. A retail one does.
    >
    > Note also that buying an "any time upgrade" moves you from OEM to Retail -
    > with the attendant rights.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > "Jonathon" <> wrote in message
    >> In that case. Can I purchase a 64-bit OEM version and install that on my
    >> Dell or do I have to get a retail version?
    >>
    >> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
    >>
    >>> You can't order OEM media from MS - what you'd end up with is a non-OEM
    >>> version, which wouldn't accept your key.
    >>>
    >>> Dell doesn't have to sell you a 64-bit version - that's their choice. If
    >>> they do, they have to provide the media or other method of loading it.
    >>>
    >>> Retail versions of Vista can be used for either 64-bit or 32-bit, though
    >>> only retail Ultimate comes with both DVDs in the box. Everything else
    >>> you
    >>> have to order your media for 64-bit. And that media takes the same key
    >>> as
    >>> the 32-bit. (Again, this is RETAIL ONLY.)
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Charlie.
    >>> "Jonathon" <> wrote in message

    Since OEM packs do not come with both x86 and x64 dvds and since an OEM
    product key does not qualify you for both dvds you should consider just
    buying a retail copy of Vista. Also, the OEM (System Builder) license does
    not grant the purchaser of the OEM pack the right to use the software, but
    only to install it on a computer for sale to a customer. Don't get involved
    with questionable licensing for your computer.
    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 27, 2008
  9. Jonathon

    Mark H Guest

    Why are you two making it sound so sinister to perform something Microsoft
    supports?

    > Since OEM packs do not come with both x86 and x64 dvds

    Neither do any retail versions other than Ultimate.

    > and since an OEM product key does not qualify you for both dvds

    That is correct, sort of. MS will not honor an OEM product key to purchase
    the alternate media. (You are not a recognized Licensed System Builder.)
    Instead, they will refer you to the maker of your computer who can choose to
    provide the other bitness. Some do, some do not, even though they are both
    under the System Builder EULA. (I don't see MS jumping on them for giving
    you the other version.) If you are the maker, then you will not be able to
    obtain the alternate media.

    > you should consider just buying a retail copy of Vista.

    Why?

    > Also, the OEM (System Builder) license does not grant the purchaser of the
    > OEM pack the right to use the software, but only to install it on a
    > computer for sale to a customer.

    Which only applies to Licensed System Builders acknowledged by MS
    and does not apply to the end-user.

    > Don't get involved with questionable licensing for your computer.

    What's questionable?

    I agree, don't pirate your software. If you want support, get the retail
    version.
    But, as long as MS supports activation of a single product key for either
    bitness, whether OEM or retail, it's not questionable.
    Mark H, Jul 27, 2008
  10. Jonathon

    Jonathon Guest

    So if I decide to reformat my computer as soon as I get it and install 64-bit
    and use the OEM key on my Dell laptop thats fine?
    Jonathon, Jul 27, 2008
  11. Jonathon

    Jonathon Guest

    "Jonathon" wrote:

    > So if I decide to reformat my computer as soon as I get it and install 64-bit
    > and use the OEM key on my Dell laptop thats fine?

    Its my understanding that Dell's initial install does not actually activate
    the product key that ships with the laptop. I don't know how, but thats what
    I've heard. It is also my understanding that you cannot "anytime upgrade"
    from 32-bit to 64-bit. The issue at hand is that Dell will not give me
    64-bit media. I don't want to break the law, but I also don't want to spend
    $300 on a retail version. I don't see how installing 64-bit right off the
    bat is breaking the law if Home premium 32-bit and Home premium 64-bit cost
    the same to begin with.
    Jonathon, Jul 27, 2008
  12. None of us are, or need to be, apologists for Microsoft. I don't happen to
    agree with their licensing in several areas, not the least of it OEM. But
    you asked a question and we've tried to give you the most accurate answer we
    could. If Dell won't sell that laptop with 64-bit, your issue is with Dell.
    Dell has sold you a 32-bit OS, with the hardware that it is assigned to. Why
    they won't sell 64-bit with it, I don't know. Possibly because there aren't
    drivers for all the hardware on it available, possibly because they don't
    want to support it, possibly because the moon is made of green cheese.
    Honestly, only Dell can answer that question.

    Your cheapest solution is probably to buy a 64-bit OEM copy of Vista. But it
    _might_ be to do an anytime upgrade to Ultimate. And then turn around and
    order media for 64-bit. I honestly don't know. But I do know that using
    other media to move your machine to 64-bit might be technically possible,
    but is almost certainly a violation of the license. (With the caveat, of
    course, that IANAL.)

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 27, 2008
  13. Jonathon

    Mark H Guest

    First, you need to have 64-bit media.
    Second, you should not "format" the computer. There is probably a recovery
    partition you will want to keep until you know everything is working.

    Make sure you have any Dell specific drivers for x64 on a USB stick or CD
    before you start.
    Simply install 64-bit media [Home Premium] (Custom) using the OEM key.
    (It's easier if you use ABR, but that's up to you. Should you use ABR, you
    don't enter the key during install.)
    Install drivers and anti-virus.
    Perform MS updates.
    Then, go through the activation process. You will have to talk to a
    representative since the process will fail.
    When you read the first six digits, they will recognize that it is OEM
    and ask who manufactured the computer... "Dell."
    Is it installed on any other computer... "No."
    They should give you the activation string.

    Later, when you get Anytime Upgrade, it will upgrade to whatever you buy as
    64-bit.

    Mark H, Jul 27, 2008
  14. Jonathon

    Jonathon Guest

    Well i appreciate all of your help guys. I certainly don't want to get into
    any legal trouble. I've tried complaining to Dell but they have either
    ignored my emails or given me BS responses. One of the Dell guys actually
    told me that MS was releasing an update for Vista that would allow the 32-bit
    versions to address 4gb of ram. So... since Dell is dumb and stubborn, I'll
    just stick with 32-bit for now. I'll probably be able to address 3.5-3.75gb
    which should be plenty. I'll just wait until Dell has better 64-bit support
    and then upgrade to Ultimate. Again, thanks for all of your help.

    Jonathon, Jul 27, 2008
  15. Jonathon

    Mark H Guest

    Vendors install Vista using a special key that pre-activates the product
    without calling Microsoft. This key and file are locked to your BIOS. If you
    move them to another computer, it will report as non-genuine. This key is
    not the key on the bottom of your computer which is the actual OEM key that
    you purchased with the computer. If you use ABR, you are moving the Dell key
    to your re-install. (Which must be the same machine. Allows re-install or
    bitness change.) If you use the OEM key on the bottom of the computer, you
    will have to "manually" activate by calling the rep and getting the
    necessary string. MS doesn't care what bitness is installed, but want to
    know it is the only use of the product key and it's on the original machine.

    The first method above is only recommend if that is going to be your final
    product. If you are planning on upgrading above Home Premium, then
    because Dell won't give you the 64-bit media, you will be less troubled in
    the future if you simply buy a retail product. Anytime Upgrade is not very
    convenient if you ever need to do a re-install down the road. (Must install
    the OEM first, activate, then perform the Anytime Upgrade.)

    Mark H, Jul 27, 2008
  16. Jonathon

    Jonathon Guest

    So if I want to reformat/reinstall vista 32-bit simply to remove the
    bloatware should i use the OEM key on bottom or the ABR key?
    Jonathon, Jul 27, 2008
  17. Jonathon

    Mark H Guest

    Either will work.
    Again, reformat not required. Do a custom install to the partition where
    Vista already resides.

    With any OEM install:
    Make sure you have specific vendor drivers first.
    Make sure you have recovery disks or a recovery partition.

    Mark H, Jul 27, 2008