    This is a fresh install. No spyware utilities running yet. I am running
    a trial of nod32, but I tried uninstalling that and testing again.
    , Jul 22, 2006

  2. JoshR Guest

    > Does anyone else have a problem where 32 bit IE just quits. Most of the
    > time I get no indication there was any kind of error, IE just goes
    > away. 64 bit IE doesn't seem to have this problem. My system seems
    > completely stable other than this 1 problem (no problems in memtest+ or
    > prime95---no overclocking, but i've been testing because of this weird
    > issue).

    Go figure. As soon as I post a message here I find the problem and
    solution :) I disabled the flash active x control and everything became
    stable. I then reenabled flash and upgrade to flash 9 and everything is
    all good now. I guess there's either a bug in flash6 or bad
    embed/object tags. Probably just flash 6 trying to run a flash 8 file
    or something.
    JoshR, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Flash in general can be a problem. One of the things I like a lot about
    64bit IE is that I have no flash with it. Yes, it's a nuisance when it's a
    site I actually want to see the flash on. But the number of times that
    happens can be counted on the fingers of one hand in a month. IOW, I wish
    sites would just stop wasting their time, money, and energy on flash and
    spend their time on actual value to the users and consumers.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 22, 2006
  4. DP Guest

    >IOW, I wish sites would just stop wasting their time, money, and energy on
    >flash and spend their time on actual value to the users and consumers.

    Yes. The Internet is trying to be the New TV.

    One thing I wish is that 64-bit IE had a button that you could click to
    switch you to 32-bit IE when you hit one of those sites where you really do
    want to see the flash. Can't they just build that in as a option?
    It does it when you try to access Windows Update from IE 64.
    Now, all you can do is copy the url from the address bar, open 32-bit IE and
    paste it into that address bar.
    DP, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Peter Lawton Guest

    I can really recomend FlashSwitch www.flashswitch.com - it's free and runs
    great on x64 windows too :)

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, Jul 22, 2006
  6. JoshR Guest

    > Flash in general can be a problem. One of the things I like a lot about
    > 64bit IE is that I have no flash with it. Yes, it's a nuisance when it's a
    > site I actually want to see the flash on. But the number of times that
    > happens can be counted on the fingers of one hand in a month. IOW, I wish
    > sites would just stop wasting their time, money, and energy on flash and
    > spend their time on actual value to the users and consumers.

    I don't mind flash so much as long as it doesn't prevent me from
    getting to the content I need as fast as possible. Flash intros are
    always terrible. Flash designers also have a tendency to sacrifice
    usability for flashiness when doing things like navigation in flash.

    I'm fine with it being used in ads I'll never click or even look
    at--well as long as they don't crash my browser...
    JoshR, Jul 22, 2006