32-bit IE creates funky folders on the desktop

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Lio, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Lio

    Lio Guest

    I hope somebody at MS reads this:

    I'm using WinXP Pro x64. For some reason, the 32-bit internet explorer
    keeps installing one of the active-x controls I'm currently developing
    in a funky-named folder on my desktop.

    I'll try to explain this in more detail:
    I'm currently making an active-x control. To test this control, I
    remove the currently registered control, copy the (signed) cab with the
    new version to the webserver and I go to the test website. IE
    immediately prompts me whether I want to install the control.

    The .INF file from the cab correctly ends up in the Downloaded Programs
    Folder, but for some reason the DLL ends up in a new, randomly-named
    folder on my desktop! In the Downloaded Programs Files folder the
    control is marked as Installed, but the DLL is using a relative path
    and is marked as Damaged. Sometimes the installation fails. In these
    cases the control's properties in Download Program Files folder shows
    the DLL again with a relative path but with strange (probably illegal)
    characters.

    This behaviour is very reproducable.

    Lio.

    Lio, Sep 22, 2005