    JP Guest

    How do I run 32 bit applications on x64? I can't find much on "WOW"? Every
    32 bit program that I try to install fails. Thanks JP
    JP, Jul 22, 2005

  2. JP

    DKI Guest

    What type of message do you get when installing these apps.

    I installed 32bit apps and games and they installed fine and all run fine.
    the only apps that will not run are 16bit apps or 32bit apps that use 32bit
    drivers (Mostly antivirus and firewalls or starforce games).

    Also some 32bit apps that have 16bit installers will not install and there
    is a work arround i posted somewhere and it only works for 32bit apps that
    have 16bit installers.

    16bit installer work arrounds.
    Sounds Likes an 16bit installer. i get round those by installing a program
    called WinInstall LE on XP Home (i kept installed for some functions like
    this or my TV card and some other hardware to work)

    I install it then run a scan for my current settings. and it makes a note.
    install the software and then scans for changes and makes an MSI installer
    with the files so then it can be install on XP X64. but make sure the that
    the program being installed is 32bit as since it will not work with 16bit
    programs.

    Its all done with a wizard so its not hard to use.
    (this is only posted as incase its a 16bit installer and if not engore)

    If 16bit installers are not the case could something esle causing the
    problem.

    DKI, Jul 22, 2005

  3. JP

    Paul Smith Guest

    "JP" <> wrote in message
    > How do I run 32 bit applications on x64? I can't find much on "WOW"? Every
    > 32 bit program that I try to install fails. Thanks JP

    32-bit applications should just "work", all of mine do. Is there anything
    common between the installers, such as using the same software?

    --
    Paul Smith,
    Yeovil, UK.

    *Remove 'nospam.' to reply by e-mail*
    Paul Smith, Jul 22, 2005
  4. JP

    JP Guest

    Thanks for the info. I will check my applications now that I have some idea
    of what to look for. Thanks JP

    JP, Jul 22, 2005
  5. WOW64
    At startup, Wow64.dll loads the x86 version of Ntdll.dll and runs its
    initialization code, which loads all necessary 32-bit DLLs. Nearly all
    32-bit DLLs are unmodified copies of 32-bit Windows XP binaries. However,
    some of these DLLs have knowledge of WOW64, usually because they share
    memory with 64-bit processes.

    Instead of using the x86 system-service call sequence; 32-bit binaries
    making system calls are rebuilt to use a custom calling sequence. This new
    sequence is inexpensive for WOW64 to intercept because it remains entirely
    in user mode. When the new calling sequence is detected, the WOW64 CPU
    transitions back to native 64-bit mode and calls into (Wow64.dll). Thunking
    is done in user mode to reduce the impact on the 64-bit kernel, and to
    reduce the risk of a bug in the thunk causing a kernel-mode crash, data
    corruption, or a security hole. The thunks extract arguments from the 32-bit
    stack, extend them to 64 bits, and then make the native system call.

    WOW64 enables 32-bit applications to take advantage of the 64-bit kernel.
    Therefore, 32-bit applications can use a larger number of kernel handles and
    window handles. However, 32-bit applications cannot create as many threads
    under WOW64 as they can on x86, because there is less virtual address space
    available, and each thread contains a 64-bit stack (usually 512K).

    Now you should understand why 32 bit applications are able to run on 64 bit
    Windows.

    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jul 22, 2005
  6. JP

    JP Guest

    Thanks for the reply Andre. I could not respond sooner because I was out of
    state on vacation. JP

    JP, Aug 7, 2005