    logs or in the event logs.

    Please let me know if you need any more ifnormation.

    Thanks in advance!
    Shootsie, Feb 6, 2008

  2. Shootsie

    Shootsie Guest

    On Feb 6, 1:29 pm, Shootsie <> wrote:
    > I have an app that is written in VB 6 and uses an ODBC connection to
    > connect to a data source.  When I run the application on a 64 bit O/S,
    > it does not connect to the ODBC.  I have tried connecting to a 64 bit
    > ODBC connection (SQLNCLI.DLL), and also connecting to a 32 bit ODBC
    > connection (SQLSRV32.DLL) on the same machine and in both cases it
    > does not connect and there is no error message either in the system
    > logs or in the event logs.
    >
    > Please let me know if you need any more ifnormation.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    One more note: I have MDAC version 2.82.3959.0

    Thanks!
    Shootsie, Feb 6, 2008

  3. Shootsie

    Shootsie Guest

    On Feb 6, 1:42 pm, Shootsie <> wrote:
    > On Feb 6, 1:29 pm, Shootsie <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have an app that is written in VB 6 and uses an ODBC connection to
    > > connect to a data source.  When I run the application on a 64 bit O/S,
    > > it does not connect to the ODBC.  I have tried connecting to a 64 bit
    > > ODBC connection (SQLNCLI.DLL), and also connecting to a 32 bit ODBC
    > > connection (SQLSRV32.DLL) on the same machine and in both cases it
    > > does not connect and there is no error message either in the system
    > > logs or in the event logs.

    > > Please let me know if you need any more ifnormation.

    > > Thanks in advance!

    > One more note:  I have MDAC version 2.82.3959.0
    >
    > Thanks!

    Ok, I figured it out -- for those who are having this same problem you
    need to add via %SystemRoot%\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe which, as far as I
    can tell is not available for the system administration menu.
    Shootsie, Feb 6, 2008
  4. Correct. You need to run the 32-bit ODBC Administrative app to administer
    32-bit ODBC. It's a bit awkward, I agree.

    ============================
    From a post by Pascal Deliot:

    It's important to understand which kind of DSN you have. On an x64 system,
    you can create an ODBC connection(DSN) on the 32-bit side of the system or
    on the 64-bit side of the system.

    32-bit applications will only see ODBC connections created in the 32-bit
    side, and 64-bits applications will only see ODBC connections from the
    64-bit side. Each kind of application has is own registry.

    To setup DSN for 32-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
    and for 64-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe

    HTH
    =================================

    Pascal hasn't been around these newsgroups in quite a while, but his help
    lives on.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64