32/64 Bit Dual Boot Login Woes

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by InterDesign, Mar 31, 2008.

  1. InterDesign

    InterDesign Guest

    I have a system that we are trying to dual boot from Windows XP Professional
    32 bit on C: and Windows XP Professional 64-bit on S:. This machine
    authenticates to a domain with a Windows 2003 R2 Server as the DC. Everything
    seems to go according to plan until joining the domain. The first time the
    64 Bit OS boots, you can login and join the domain... but shortly afterward
    when going back to login to the 32 Bit we find that the workstation can no
    longer connect to the domain or login locally (even though the 64 bit os can).

    The only way around this is to log in locally as the administrator, remove
    the computer from the domain and rejoin it... but then once this is done the
    reverse happens and we can no longer log into the 64 Bit OS.

    I thought that this was an account SID issue, so we created two accounts 1
    for 32bit and one for 64 bit, but still no beans. I have heard that the
    computer also needs to be named differently on the two os's.

    Is this true?

    If anyone has run into this issue, I'd appreciate any heads up on how to
    dual boot a 32 bit and 64 bit OS on a domain...

    --
    Thanks,

    InterDesign, Mar 31, 2008

  2. yes, you MUST have a different name. It's NOT the same machine. Then you'll
    be able to join the domain from each machine with the correct name and not
    have problems.

    I would start, BTW, but unjoining it and removing any reference to the
    machine in Active Directory Users and Computers. Remove any old entries in
    DNS as well, and tombstone any entries in WINS (oh, how I HATE WINS.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 31, 2008