    Phil B.

    --
    "I LET MY MIND WANDER AND IT NEVER CAME BACK"
    Phil, Sep 3, 2005

  2. Phil

    Guest

    I use a number of various utilities to clean my own systems along with
    my customers systems. A cool little program that I use to clean out
    various files such as the Temp folders, Temporary Internet Files
    folder, Recycle Bin, etc is this program.

    CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/

    CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes
    unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and
    freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your
    online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is
    that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains
    NO Spyware or Adware! :)
    , Sep 3, 2005

  3. <> wrote in message
    >I use a number of various utilities to clean my own systems along with
    > my customers systems. A cool little program that I use to clean out
    > various files such as the Temp folders, Temporary Internet Files
    > folder, Recycle Bin, etc is this program.
    >
    > CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/
    >
    > CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes
    > unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and
    > freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your
    > online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is
    > that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains
    > NO Spyware or Adware! :)

    I'll second that! CCleaner is a great little program. My system runs so much
    better since deleting all the guff :)

    **SS**
    Secret Squiddle, Sep 3, 2005
  4. Phil

    7 Guest

    Phil wrote:

    > A neighbor's computer is running very slow. When I checked the Temp
    > Internet files it showed over 31,000 files in it. When we started the
    > delete process it only showed around 1,000 files which we deleted.
    > Checking
    > the properties of the file again it showed about 30,000 files. When I
    > opened the folder none of the files were listed. They are using W98.
    >
    > Does Win 98 have a Clean Disk feature?
    > If the files do not show in the folder where are they?
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks.

    This is a common total fsckiwallah problem with windopes keeping
    all kinds of logs that never ever get used but take up vast amounts
    of hard disk space.

    The best way to clean is to boot up with liveCDs like Knoppix,
    Mepis, DSL and so on and delete the temp files from all the temp
    folders and some of the hidden directories.
    Otherwise access denied to many of the subdirectories.
    Nearly 300 LiveCDs here.
    http://www.livecdlist.com/
    All made by techies and open source.
    7, Sep 3, 2005
  5. Phil

    Buffalo Guest

    "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > A neighbor's computer is running very slow. When I checked the Temp
    > Internet files it showed over 31,000 files in it. When we started the
    > delete process it only showed around 1,000 files which we deleted. Checking
    > the properties of the file again it showed about 30,000 files. When I
    > opened the folder none of the files were listed. They are using W98.
    >
    > Does Win 98 have a Clean Disk feature?
    > If the files do not show in the folder where are they?
    >
    > Any help appreciated. Thanks.
    >
    > Phil B.

    Don't have IE open when you delete the TIF files.
    Just go into Control Panel and left click on Internet Options and do it that
    way.
    Also be sure to put a check in the offline content . Delete without the check
    the first time and then put the check in and do it again.
    Buffalo, Sep 3, 2005
  6. Phil

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Buffalo" <eric(nospam)@nada.com.invalid> wrote:

    >Don't have IE open when you delete the TIF files.
    >Just go into Control Panel and left click on Internet Options and do it that
    >way.
    >Also be sure to put a check in the offline content . Delete without the check
    >the first time and then put the check in and do it again.

    Also, if they have a high speed Internet connection (Cable or DSL) go
    to the Advanced tab in the Internet Options window, scroll down to the
    Security section and select the "empty Temporary Internet Files when
    browser is closed" option. That helps to keep things clean.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm
    Ron Martell, Sep 3, 2005
  7. Phil

    SEYMOUR Guest

    in ie

    go to tools internet options advanced

    near the bottom check the option to delete temp internet files when closing
    the browser

    i can understand why this setting isnt the default

    SEYMOUR, Sep 3, 2005
  8. Phil

    Ron Martell Guest

    "SEYMOUR" <> wrote:

    >in ie
    >
    >go to tools internet options advanced
    >
    >near the bottom check the option to delete temp internet files when closing
    >the browser
    >
    >i can understand why this setting isnt the default

    I only suggest that it be used by people with high speed Internet
    service.

    For those with dial-up service deleting the t.i.f. would have a
    noticeable performance impact the next time they went on line, as all
    of the web page content for their home page and other regular sites
    would have to be downloaded again.

    Ron Martell, Sep 3, 2005
  9. On Sat, 03 Sep 2005 17:15:23 +0100, Secret Squiddle wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >>I use a number of various utilities to clean my own systems along with
    >> my customers systems. A cool little program that I use to clean out
    >> various files such as the Temp folders, Temporary Internet Files
    >> folder, Recycle Bin, etc is this program.
    >>
    >> CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/
    >>
    >> CCleaner is a freeware system optimization and privacy tool. It removes
    >> unused files from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and
    >> freeing up valuable hard disk space. It also cleans traces of your
    >> online activities such as your Internet history. But the best part is
    >> that it's fast (normally taking less that a second to run) and contains
    >> NO Spyware or Adware! :)

    > I'll second that! CCleaner is a great little program. My system runs so much
    > better since deleting all the guff :)
    >
    > **SS**

    Indeed - I, too, will vouch for CCleaner. You can trust it to do a good
    job.

    Also, if you suspect spyware and/or other malicious objects - you might
    want to download and run Ewido (http://www.ewido.net/en/). It's a 14 day
    trial, but running it once or twice will do a thorough job of cleaning
    your system. It detects objects that Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and others miss.
    Just my two cents :)

    --
    The only easy day was yesterday.
    ITSO azionista, Sep 4, 2005
  10. Phil

    Phil Guest

    Using Dial Up. Has never deleted any files in the 5 years they have had the
    computer. Will give CCleaner a try.

    Thanks for all the responses.
    Phil

    Phil, Sep 4, 2005
  11. Phil

    John Inzer Guest

    ITSO azionista wrote:
    > Indeed - I, too, will vouch for CCleaner. You can trust
    > it to do a good job.
    >
    > Also, if you suspect spyware and/or other malicious
    > objects - you might want to download and run Ewido
    > (http://www.ewido.net/en/). It's a 14 day trial, but
    > running it once or twice will do a thorough job of
    > cleaning your system. It detects objects that Ad-Aware,
    > Spybot S&D, and others miss. Just my two cents :)

    =======================================
    CCleaner is a great free utility and
    they just released a new version on
    09-01-2005: version 1.23.160

    --

    John Inzer
    John Inzer, Sep 4, 2005
  12. Phil

    Daave Guest

    Buffalo wrote:

    > Just go into Control Panel and left click on Internet Options and do
    > it that way.
    > Also be sure to put a check in the offline content . Delete without
    > the check the first time and then put the check in and do it again.

    Why not just put the check in and delete everything all at once?

    Dave
    Daave, Sep 4, 2005
  13. Phil

    Buffalo Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in message
    > Buffalo wrote:
    >
    > > Just go into Control Panel and left click on Internet Options and do
    > > it that way.
    > > Also be sure to put a check in the offline content . Delete without
    > > the check the first time and then put the check in and do it again.

    > Why not just put the check in and delete everything all at once?
    >
    > Dave

    The only reason being is that I'm not sure if it works that way, so I just do
    both.
    Anyone confirm this?
    I guess I could do some experimenting, but since it only takes an extra second
    or two for me to do it both ways, I will probably just keep doing both.
    Buffalo, Sep 4, 2005