    shutter delay to be a lot shorter than my existing 3040.

    Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on the 300D would be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.
    mortn, Dec 5, 2003

  2. mortn

    Steve Guest

    mortn wrote:
    > I own an Oly 3040 which is adequate for most of my needs (although a
    > higher resolution would be appreciated for cropped 8 x 10's). What is
    > driving me crazy, however, is the painstakingly long shutter delay.
    > Depressing the shutter halfway is awkward and frustrating when action
    > is involved.
    >
    > I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a
    > replacement. How does the shutter delay compare to the 10D? I have
    > used the 10D for a short time and find the shutter delay to be a lot
    > shorter than my existing 3040.
    >
    > Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on the 300D would be greatly
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.

    If you are already focussed, then there is virtually no shutter delay. It
    fires as soon as you push the button.

    If you are not already focussed, then you need to add the focus time. This
    is incredibly quick - far quicker than any digi-cam I have ever used. If you
    had to time it, you would be doing so in milliseconds.

    Steve
    Steve, Dec 5, 2003

  3. mortn

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <lI2Ab.3047$>,
    mortn <> wrote:

    >I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a replacement.
    >How does the
    >shutter delay compare to the 10D?

    I have a 10D, and my wife has a 300D. The shutter-lag is about the same on
    both cameras.
    Chris Brown, Dec 5, 2003
  4. mortn

    Matt Austern Guest

    "Steve" <ten.2ku@ekolbemag> writes:

    > mortn wrote:
    > > I own an Oly 3040 which is adequate for most of my needs (although a
    > > higher resolution would be appreciated for cropped 8 x 10's). What is
    > > driving me crazy, however, is the painstakingly long shutter delay.
    > > Depressing the shutter halfway is awkward and frustrating when action
    > > is involved.
    > >
    > > I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a
    > > replacement. How does the shutter delay compare to the 10D? I have
    > > used the 10D for a short time and find the shutter delay to be a lot
    > > shorter than my existing 3040.
    > >
    > > Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on the 300D would be greatly
    > > appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thank you.

    > If you are already focussed, then there is virtually no shutter delay. It
    > fires as soon as you push the button.
    >
    > If you are not already focussed, then you need to add the focus time. This
    > is incredibly quick - far quicker than any digi-cam I have ever used. If you
    > had to time it, you would be doing so in milliseconds.

    Caveat: the focus time is very variable. Canon autofocus SLRs put the
    focus motor in the lens, so some lenses focus faster than others.
    Matt Austern, Dec 5, 2003
  5. mortn

    mortn Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > mortn wrote:

    >> I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a
    >> replacement. How does the shutter delay compare to the 10D? I have
    >> used the 10D for a short time and find the shutter delay to be a lot
    >> shorter than my existing 3040.
    >>

    > If you are already focussed, then there is virtually no shutter delay. It
    > fires as soon as you push the button.
    >
    > If you are not already focussed, then you need to add the focus time. This
    > is incredibly quick - far quicker than any digi-cam I have ever used. If you
    > had to time it, you would be doing so in milliseconds.
    >
    > Steve

    Most of the pictures I take involve action, where the subject is constantly moving so
    that pre-focusing is not practical. Therefore, when the shutter is pressed, the camera
    must focus and shoot. In the case of multiple shots, which may be about 1 second apart,
    this must occur at each press of the shutter, refocusing each time.
    mortn, Dec 5, 2003
  6. mortn

    mortn Guest

    Chris Brown wrote:

    > In article <lI2Ab.3047$>,
    > mortn <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a replacement.
    >>How does the
    >>shutter delay compare to the 10D?

    > I have a 10D, and my wife has a 300D. The shutter-lag is about the same on
    > both cameras.

    Any feedback you can provide re: the 300D in general? Are you happy with it? None of the
    local stores here in sunny Florida have one in stock, so I have no chance to "handle" it
    or test it. Since I would be purchasing the camera on line, I would like to get as many
    opinions, pro & con, as possible.

    Thank you.
    mortn, Dec 5, 2003
  7. mortn

    Ken Alverson Guest

    "mortn" <> wrote in message
    > Steve wrote:
    > >
    > > If you are already focussed, then there is virtually no shutter delay. It
    > > fires as soon as you push the button.
    > >
    > > If you are not already focussed, then you need to add the focus time. This
    > > is incredibly quick - far quicker than any digi-cam I have ever used. If

    you
    > > had to time it, you would be doing so in milliseconds.

    > Most of the pictures I take involve action, where the subject is constantly

    moving so
    > that pre-focusing is not practical. Therefore, when the shutter is pressed,

    the camera
    > must focus and shoot. In the case of multiple shots, which may be about 1

    second apart,
    > this must occur at each press of the shutter, refocusing each time.

    The 300D (like other Canon SLRs) has a continuous focus mode, where it will
    keep adjusting focus while you hold the button half way down until you are
    ready to take the picture. This is generally used in "sports mode" (it may
    only be available in sports mode on the 300D, it is selectable in the creative
    modes on the 10D). The "default" focus mode is what is called "AI Servo",
    which focuses normally, but will switch to continuous focusing if it detects
    that the subject is moving (I believe this is what most of the 300D picture
    modes use - I have a 10D, where again you can select).

    These even work in multi-shot mode, so if you hold down the shutter button on
    a moving subject, it will do its best to keep the subject in focus as it takes
    2.5 pictures per second.

    Ken
    Ken Alverson, Dec 5, 2003
  8. According to mortn <>:
    > Any feedback you can provide re: the 300D in general? Are you happy
    > with it? None of the local stores here in sunny Florida have one in
    > stock, so I have no chance to "handle" it or test it. Since I would
    > be purchasing the camera on line, I would like to get as many
    > opinions, pro & con, as possible.

    I got a 300D just after it came out, and I have loved it ever since. It
    replaced a Canon G1, which had a painfully slow autofocus and shutter lag, and
    the 300D has neither problem. Any half-press focus lag is caused by the lens,
    not by the camera, so if you're willing to fork over some $$ then you can get
    a lens that can focus as fast as anything out there, and the 300D won't add
    time to that. Even if you don't want to pay much for a lens, the kit lens
    (18-55mm) is far faster than a normal digicam, so it would make a good
    compromise. The full-press shutter lag is basically non-existent, comparable
    to any 35mm film camera. Simply put, when you press the button, it snaps the
    shutter.

    In terms of the body, it may feel light but it doesn't feel cheap. The
    software interface is easy to navigate and the settings are quickly changed.
    You get 4 frames at 2.5 fps and several more afterward at about 1fps,
    depending on the subject. Compact flash is a very popular format that's all
    but guaranteed to be read anywhere there's a need. Of course, none of this
    mentions the photo quality which is also excellent; there's almost no noise
    when using the normal ISOs, and the noise is basically equivalent to film at
    higher ISOs. Good luck!

    If you're buying online, consider B&H, which has one of the best records out
    there (www.bhphotovideo.com), and I've been pleased.

    --
    eth'nT
    http://www.hydrous.net
    Ethan Trewhitt, Dec 5, 2003
  9. mortn

    Mike Guest

    "Chris Brown" <_uce_please.com> wrote in message
    > In article <lI2Ab.3047$>,
    > mortn <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a replacement.
    > >How does the
    > >shutter delay compare to the 10D?

    > I have a 10D, and my wife has a 300D. The shutter-lag is about the same on
    > both cameras.

    Chris,
    Does the 300d focusing react to moving targets as quick as the 10d. As I
    believe the 300d tracks automatically whereas the 10d has to be set-up to do
    it(you have choice) does the fact that the 300d has auto tracking a
    disavantage?
    The reason I'm asking is I cant make up my mind as to which camera to get.
    You and your wife are perfect to answer this question. Is the 300d worth
    gettting against the 10d?
    TIA MikeS
    Mike, Dec 5, 2003
  10. In article <lI2Ab.3047$>,
    mortn <> wrote:

    > I own an Oly 3040 which is adequate for most of my needs (although a higher
    > resolution
    > would be appreciated for cropped 8 x 10's). What is driving me crazy,
    > however, is the
    > painstakingly long shutter delay. Depressing the shutter halfway is awkward
    > and
    > frustrating when action is involved.
    >
    > I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a replacement. How
    > does the
    > shutter delay compare to the 10D? I have used the 10D for a short time and
    > find the
    > shutter delay to be a lot shorter than my existing 3040.
    >
    > Any thoughts, suggestions, comments on the 300D would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.

    I have the 300D and shutter lag isn't noticable in most cases. Metering
    is instant so it really depends on what kind of a lens you put on it.
    The factory wide zoom lens focuses very quickly. My Tamron telephoto
    zoom needs some for the focus ring to turn so it's better if I pre-focus
    it once before shooting.

    The 300D may have more mirror lag than the 10D. I doubt it's
    significant, though. Probably less than 0.1 seconds difference.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Dec 6, 2003
  11. mortn

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <tb4Ab.3101$>,
    mortn <> wrote:
    >Chris Brown wrote:
    >
    >> In article <lI2Ab.3047$>,
    >> mortn <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have been considering the Canon 300D Digital Rebel as a replacement.
    >>>How does the
    >>>shutter delay compare to the 10D?

    >> I have a 10D, and my wife has a 300D. The shutter-lag is about the same on
    >> both cameras.

    >Any feedback you can provide re: the 300D in general? Are you happy with
    >it?

    Not had it very long, but in general I'm quite impressed. The kit lens is
    surprisingly good for what it is.
    Chris Brown, Dec 6, 2003