    to jpeg with Capture one.

    HTH

    Eric

    Eric Hourant, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Eric Hourant

    Alan F Cross Guest

    In message <401119cf$0$286$>, Eric Hourant
    <> writes
    >Hi,
    >For those who are interested by 300D samples and / or by airplanes, I have
    >uploaded my first shots with this camera on
    >www.echo-soft.com/images/spotter/Florennes_012004
    >
    >These pictures were shoot in raw mode then cropped, adjusted and converted
    >to jpeg with Capture one.
    >
    >HTH
    >
    >Eric

    Nice clean shots. But I think they might benefit from a little careful
    sharpening. Emphasis on careful!

    Nicely exposed. I'd be interested in your exposure control method.
    Partial? Evaluative? Compensated? Or all done in RAW conversion?
    --
    Alan F Cross

    Alan F Cross, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Eric Hourant

    Eric Hourant Guest

    Alan,
    >>your exposure control method.<<

    Metering mode : evaluative

    I let Capture One do the autocorrect exposure. I have also selected the
    "Film extra shadow" setting.

    >>But I think they might benefit from a little careful sharpening.<<

    You are right. I think I pushed the sensibility too high (ISO 400 & 800).

    Eric

    Eric Hourant, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Eric Hourant

    cwvalle Guest

    "Eric Hourant" <> wrote in message
    > Alan,
    > >>your exposure control method.<<

    > Metering mode : evaluative
    >
    > I let Capture One do the autocorrect exposure. I have also selected the
    > "Film extra shadow" setting.
    >
    > >>But I think they might benefit from a little careful sharpening.<<

    > You are right. I think I pushed the sensibility too high (ISO 400 & 800).
    >

    > Eric

    The sensitivity looks okay
    I didn't see any noise
    but the images look soft
    how much enlargement did you do?
    I think your shutter speed was high enough
    I think your focus is what's off somehow
    If those are not enlarged, I would shoot some test patterns
    I think that camera should be sharper than that

    cwvalle, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Eric Hourant

    SCD Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:22:12 +0100, "Eric Hourant"
    <> wrote:

    >Alan,
    >>>your exposure control method.<<

    >Metering mode : evaluative
    >
    >I let Capture One do the autocorrect exposure. I have also selected the
    >"Film extra shadow" setting.
    >
    >>>But I think they might benefit from a little careful sharpening.<<

    >You are right. I think I pushed the sensibility too high (ISO 400 & 800).
    >

    >Eric

    How close were you and were you panning to get these shots? Was the AF
    in servo mode? Maybe camera movement caused some blurring....

    Steve

    SCD, Jan 24, 2004
  6. Nice pictures Very sharp and good color. What lens are you using?

    -Z

    Zorin the Lynx, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Eric Hourant

    Eric Hourant Guest

    Zorin,

    >>What lens are you using?<<

    Zoom Canon 100-400 IS USM

    Eric

    Eric Hourant, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Eric Hourant

    Eric Hourant Guest

    >> how much enlargement did you do?<<
    about 20-25% enlargement.

    I have used only the central point autofocus point.

    I just changed some settings in the Capture One program and change the focus
    method from "soft look" to "standard look" and the result is sharper now.

    Eric

    Eric Hourant, Jan 24, 2004
  9. Eric Hourant

    Eric Hourant Guest

    Steve,

    >>Was the AF in servo mode?<<

    AFAIK it's automatic with the 300D.

    >>How close were you ?<<

    I was quite close to the planes. This images has been enlarged of about
    20-25%.

    It' my first try with this camera and with the Capture One software. I made
    some changes in the C1 settings and now, the result is sharper.

    I have uploaded the last "version" of the images on my web site.

    Eric

    Eric Hourant, Jan 24, 2004
  10. Eric Hourant

    dylan Guest

    IMO a bit hard to judge the original quality when they are approx 900x700 in
    30K jpegs !

    dylan, Jan 24, 2004
  11. "Eric Hourant" <> wrote in

    > Steve,
    >
    >>>Was the AF in servo mode?<<

    > AFAIK it's automatic with the 300D.
    >
    >>>How close were you ?<<

    > I was quite close to the planes. This images has been enlarged of
    > about 20-25%.
    >
    > It' my first try with this camera and with the Capture One
    > software. I made some changes in the C1 settings and now, the
    > result is sharper.
    >
    > I have uploaded the last "version" of the images on my web site.
    >
    > Eric

    Definitely sharper. Looks like you have a dirty spot on your lens at
    about 11:00.

    Mike Latondresse, Jan 24, 2004
  12. Eric Hourant

    Eric Hourant Guest

    > Definitely sharper. Looks like you have a dirty spot on your lens at about
    11:00.<<
    Thanks. One of the problem when you go digital is that the result may depend
    of many points : the camera, software, the screen and the printer.

    Eric

    Eric Hourant, Jan 24, 2004