    D.L. Man Guest

    I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't know what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me understand why it does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I bought?

    Thanks.
    D.L. Man, Sep 18, 2006

  2. D.L. Man

    Heath Guest

    You do loose a certain amount when you format, depands on the size of the harddrive.

    Heath, Sep 18, 2006

  3. D.L. Man

    Gordon Guest

    "D.L. Man" <> wrote in message
    >I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't know
    >what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me >understand why it
    >does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I bought?

    Firstly please do NOT post here using HTML. Go to Tools-Options-Send and at
    the bottom select Plain text for sending News Messages.

    Secondly, that's quite correct. As an analogy think of the old 3 1/4 "
    floppy - 2MB unformatted, 1.44 formatted.
    Gordon, Sep 18, 2006
  4. D.L. Man

    DanR Guest

    "D.L. Man" <> wrote in message
    I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't know
    what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me understand why it
    does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I bought?

    Thanks.

    Below quote from:
    http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v30/vic30.htm
    A common marketing ploy by hard drive manufacturers is to calculate the size
    of a hard disk by using the decimal 10 system of 1000 bytes = one kilobyte,
    instead of the binary system where 1024 bytes = one kilobyte (your PC only
    knows binary). This rounding off practice means you end up with a hard drive
    with a capacity less than what is indicated on the label. For example, a
    true 80 GB hard disk can hold 85,899,345,920 bytes, but by using the base
    10 formula, 80 GB comes out to only 80,000,000,000 bytes Do the simple
    subtraction, that's 5,899,345,920 bytes less than the true value. Now
    calculate what 5,899,345,920 bytes converts to by entering 5899345920 in the
    Byte box above. You will find that it translates to a loss of 5.49419
    GIGABYTES!
    DanR, Sep 18, 2006
  5. D.L. Man mumbled incoherently in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't
    > know what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me understand
    > why it does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I
    > bought?

    <snip HTML>

    It has to do with what hard drive manufacturers call a gigabyte and what
    Windows calls a gigabyte. The manufacturers use decimal (base 10) to figure
    capacities and Windows uses binary (base 2) to report hard drive size. In
    other words, the manufacturer says a kilobyte is 1000 bytes, while Windows
    says a kilobyte is 1024 bytes, and so on.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    theoldsourdough at theoldsourdough dot com
    The Old Sourdough, Sep 18, 2006
  6. D.L. Man

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:48:44 -0600, D.L. Man Has Frothed:

    > I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't know
    > what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me understand why it
    > does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I bought?

    Advertising hype. It's actually 275 gig formatted.

    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Sep 18, 2006
  7. D.L. Man

    D.L. Man Guest

    Thanks.
    I guess there is nothing I can do about it. As of right now I got swindled
    but there is hope, a lawsuit pending from some people in LA.
    http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60505,00.html

    D.L. Man, Sep 18, 2006
  8. D.L. Man

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Sep 18, 2006
  9. D.L. Man

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Sep 18, 2006
  10. D.L. Man

    John Holmes Guest

    D.L. Man "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "DanR" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "D.L. Man" <> wrote in message
    >> I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't
    >> know what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me
    >> understand why it does this and help me reformat so I can get all the
    >> space I bought?
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Below quote from:
    >> http://personal-computer-tutor.com/abc3/v30/vic30.htm
    >> A common marketing ploy by hard drive manufacturers is to calculate
    >> the

    > size
    >> of a hard disk by using the decimal 10 system of 1000 bytes = one

    > kilobyte,
    >> instead of the binary system where 1024 bytes = one kilobyte (your
    >> PC

    > only
    >> knows binary). This rounding off practice means you end up with a
    >> hard

    > drive
    >> with a capacity less than what is indicated on the label. For
    >> example, a true 80 GB hard disk can hold 85,899,345,920 bytes, but
    >> by using the base 10 formula, 80 GB comes out to only 80,000,000,000
    >> bytes Do the simple subtraction, that's 5,899,345,920 bytes less
    >> than the true value. Now calculate what 5,899,345,920 bytes converts
    >> to by entering 5899345920 in

    > the
    >> Byte box above. You will find that it translates to a loss of
    >> 5.49419 GIGABYTES!

    <top-poasting corrected>

    > Thanks.
    > I guess there is nothing I can do about it. As of right now I got
    > swindled but there is hope, a lawsuit pending from some people in LA.
    > http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,60505,00.html

    You must have been the guy who started a lawsuit because your router
    didn't come with a webcam, eh?

    --
    Your mother was a secretive crackpot-religion devotee who used to bury
    treasure in the boiler of a disused steam locomotive.
    John Holmes, Sep 18, 2006
  11. D.L. Man

    John Holmes Guest

    D.L. Man "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm
    >>

    > My settings are set to plain text for news messages and but the email
    > messages was set to HTML and I set that to text as well. However,
    > since the setting was on text in the first place I don't know what
    > else I can do. But since you posted off topic with a web link to
    > something as annoying as posting in html talking about html while
    > using html and wasting time I don't thank you for your help and
    > request that you be less of a spelling/edicate nazi unless you can add
    > something that helps.

    You fucking arrogant asshole, and what meaning do you expect your
    delusional self-important statements of unknowing, inexperienced opinion
    to have with us? What fantasy do you hold that you would believe that
    your tiny-fisted tantrums would have more weight than that of a leprous
    desert rat, spinning rabidly in a circle, waiting for the bite of the
    snake?
    Plato is a reg in the group and was trying to help, you dopey ****.

    Now **** off.

    --
    Your mother was a sickening weasel who used to uproot trees in the Red
    Light District of Amsterdam.
    John Holmes, Sep 18, 2006
  12. D.L. Man

    Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:23:35 +0100, D.L. Man wrote
    (in article <>):

    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm
    >>

    > My settings are set to plain text for news messages and but the email
    > messages was set to HTML and I set that to text as well. However, since the
    > setting was on text in the first place I don't know what else I can do. But
    > since you posted off topic with a web link to something as annoying as
    > posting in html talking about html while using html and wasting time I don't
    > thank you for your help and request that you be less of a spelling/edicate
    > nazi unless you can add something that helps.

    WTF's an 'edicate nazi'?!

    Oh and you're in need of serious LARTing..

    Here, have a whack around the bonce with a clue-by-four.

    Oh and here's a clue: - try investigating those keys on your keyboard with
    funny symbols and dots on them. They're called 'punctuation marks' and they
    can (if used judiciously and correctly) magically turn a load of gibberish
    (such as what you've typed) into something that can be understood.

    Oh, and have another whack with a clue-by-four - I doubt the first did any
    good...
    Margolotta, Sep 18, 2006
  13. D.L. Man

    Margolotta Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:48:44 +0100, D.L. Man wrote
    (in article <>):

    > I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't know
    > what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me understand why it
    > does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I bought?
    >
    > Thanks.

    Please DON'T post in HTML. Please set Outhouse Excrement to post in plain
    text only. This is NOT a binaries group. Some folk set their readers to
    filter HTML from plain text groups, so it's in your own best interests to
    play by the rules.

    Thank you
    Margolotta, Sep 18, 2006
  14. D.L. Man

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:23:35 -0600, "D.L. Man" <>
    wrote:

    >My settings are set to plain text for news messages and but the email
    >messages was set to HTML and I set that to text as well. However, since the
    >setting was on text in the first place I don't know what else I can do. But
    >since you posted off topic with a web link to something as annoying as
    >posting in html talking about html while using html and wasting time I don't
    >thank you for your help and request that you be less of a spelling/edicate
    >nazi unless you can add something that helps.

    Holt shit.

    Whatever you're smoking, pass it please.
    Evan Platt, Sep 18, 2006
  15. D.L. Man

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 10:23:35 -0600, "D.L. Man" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My settings are set to plain text for news messages and but the email
    >>messages was set to HTML and I set that to text as well. However,
    >>since the setting was on text in the first place I don't know what
    >>else I can do. But since you posted off topic with a web link to
    >>something as annoying as posting in html talking about html while
    >>using html and wasting time I don't thank you for your help and
    >>request that you be less of a spelling/edicate nazi unless you can add
    >>something that helps.

    > Holt shit.

    ^^^^

    > Whatever you're smoking, pass it please.

    I think you've had enough by now, Evan.

    --
    Your mother was a silly potato who worked on a film set in a small tent
    in the middle of nowhere.
    John Holmes, Sep 18, 2006
  16. D.L. Man enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:

    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm
    >>

    > My settings are set to plain text for news messages and but the email
    > messages was set to HTML and I set that to text as well. However,
    > since the setting was on text in the first place I don't know what
    > else I can do. But since you posted off topic with a web link to
    > something as annoying as posting in html talking about html while
    > using html and wasting time I don't thank you for your help and
    > request that you be less of a spelling/edicate nazi unless you can add
    > something that helps.

    Headers from the post you refer to:

    http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm

    There is all plaintext there as well, and posting links is common
    accepted practice. In particular since you would find a good
    explanation there, about harddisk sizes and the way they are calculated
    differently by manufacturers and operating systems.
    It is your loss.
    Now go away, quick.

    Walter Mautner, Sep 18, 2006
  17. D.L. Man

    John Holmes Guest

    Walter Mautner "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > D.L. Man enlightened us 24hoursupport.helpdesk-(ab)users with:
    >

    >>> http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm
    >>>

    >> My settings are set to plain text for news messages and but the email
    >> messages was set to HTML and I set that to text as well. However,
    >> since the setting was on text in the first place I don't know what
    >> else I can do. But since you posted off topic with a web link to
    >> something as annoying as posting in html talking about html while
    >> using html and wasting time I don't thank you for your help and
    >> request that you be less of a spelling/edicate nazi unless you can add
    >> something that helps.

    > Headers from the post you refer to:

    > http://www.bootdisk.com/html.htm
    >
    > There is all plaintext there as well, and posting links is common
    > accepted practice. In particular since you would find a good
    > explanation there, about harddisk sizes and the way they are calculated
    > differently by manufacturers and operating systems.
    > It is your loss.
    > Now go away, quick.

    He should have left, already.

    --
    May an indeterminate number of female rats design fighting robots under
    your bedspread.
    John Holmes, Sep 18, 2006
  18. D.L. Man

    richard Guest

    "D.L. Man" <> wrote in message
    I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't know
    what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me understand why it
    does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I bought?

    Thanks.

    ****************************

    Maxtor has been known to overstate the size of the hard drive.
    It seems that they round up to the nearest 50gigs. A 250gig might actually
    be 230gigs or so.
    That is also the figure before any input. The manufacturer's input will
    diminish this figure by a small percentage.
    richard, Sep 18, 2006
  19. D.L. Man

    dadiOH Guest

    D.L. Man wrote:
    > I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I
    > don't know what happened to the other 25 gigs. Can someone help me
    > understand why it does this and help me reformat so I can get all
    > the space I bought?

    Reformating isn't necessary, wouldn't help at all. What you must do
    is compress *everything*! That will show those drive manufacturing
    twits!!!!!

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Sep 18, 2006
  20. D.L. Man

    Frosty Guest

    As the sun rose on Mon, 18 Sep 2006 08:48:44 -0600, the distinguished
    and oh so talented "D.L. Man" <> climbed up to
    the podium, shuffled some papers, took a sip of ice water and shouted
    in a loud voice:

    >I am using win 2k and its a Maxtor 7200 RPM with 300 gigs and I don't know what happened to the other 25 gigs.
    >Can someone help me understand why it does this and help me reformat so I can get all the space I bought?
    >
    >Thanks.

    The space you don't see represents the little track that the rat runs
    on.
    Don't worry about it, you'll get all 300 gigs in a rebate.
    Frosty, Sep 18, 2006