    automatically catalog the disks. Unfortunately, I have yet to find
    one that can do more than read DVD or CD-text. Can anyone recommend a
    player that will provide the functions that I am looking for?

    new2this, Apr 18, 2004

  2. new2this

    luminos Guest

    "new2this" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm considering getting a large capacity DVD changer and my research
    > so far has been disappointing. The most important aspect of a
    > changer, to me, is that it be able to easily catalog and organize the
    > disks. I had expected to find that most changers would have an
    > Ethernet or WiFi connection that would retrieve CD and DVD information
    > (like titles, genre, and thumbnails) from the internet to
    > automatically catalog the disks.

    LOL

    luminos, Apr 18, 2004

  3. new2this

    Impmon Guest

    On 17 Apr 2004 21:43:06 -0700, (new2this) wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a
    >player that will provide the functions that I am looking for?

    A PC with 300 disc changer hacked into a DVD-ROM is probably the
    closest to what you wanted. I don't think anyone's marketed a
    multi-disc player with connection to computer or internet.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Apr 18, 2004
  4. new2this

    Pug Fugley Guest

    As if needing a 300 disc changer isn't lazy enough in the first place!

    Pug Fugley, Apr 18, 2004
  5. new2this

    Michael Guest

    Not as lazy as your thinking. I'm sure if you think harder you might be
    able to come up with a reason, other than laziness, for someone wanting to
    be able to change discs in a machine.

    Michael, Apr 18, 2004
  6. "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Not as lazy as your thinking. I'm sure if you think harder you might be
    > able to come up with a reason, other than laziness, for someone wanting to
    > be able to change discs in a machine.

    Or storage... When you've got 700 like me storage becomes a huge issue.

    Deborah Proctor

    Deborah Proctor, Apr 18, 2004
  7. new2this

    Pete Guest

    (new2this) wrote in

    > I'm considering getting a large capacity DVD changer and my research
    > so far has been disappointing. The most important aspect of a
    > changer, to me, is that it be able to easily catalog and organize the
    > disks. I had expected to find that most changers would have an
    > Ethernet or WiFi connection that would retrieve CD and DVD information
    > (like titles, genre, and thumbnails) from the internet to
    > automatically catalog the disks. Unfortunately, I have yet to find
    > one that can do more than read DVD or CD-text. Can anyone recommend a
    > player that will provide the functions that I am looking for?

    Try this - no wifi though

    http://www.sonystyle.com/is-
    bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-
    Start;sid=rgbqXuAUm3_qV6CWYnjgVa8ZkwuFll3pslk=?
    CategoryName=hav_DVD_DVDPlayers&ProductSKU=DVPCX985V&Dept=hav

    Pete, Apr 18, 2004
  8. new2this

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:39:28 GMT, "Deborah Proctor"
    <> wrote:

    >Or storage... When you've got 700 like me storage becomes a huge issue.

    SO I take it when you get that huge multidisc player, you throw out
    the DVD cases to regain some spaces?
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Apr 19, 2004
  9. new2this

    Justin Guest

    Impmon wrote on [Sun, 18 Apr 2004 21:24:42 -0400]:
    > On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 15:39:28 GMT, "Deborah Proctor"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Or storage... When you've got 700 like me storage becomes a huge issue.

    > SO I take it when you get that huge multidisc player, you throw out
    > the DVD cases to regain some spaces?

    And I take it that a new changer is bought after every 300 discs

    Justin, Apr 19, 2004
  10. new2this

    new2this Guest

    "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message news:<G2pgc.17491$>...
    > As if needing a 300 disc changer isn't lazy enough in the first place!

    So do you consider anything that makes life easier or saves time to
    also make you lazy? Do you own a microwave, hot water heater,
    electric shaver, etc. ? You had better throw them out lest you go to
    hell for committing the sin of sloth.

    new2this, Apr 20, 2004
  11. new2this

    new2this Guest

    > Try this - no wifi though
    >
    > http://www.sonystyle.com/is-
    > bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-
    > Start;sid=rgbqXuAUm3_qV6CWYnjgVa8ZkwuFll3pslk=?
    > CategoryName=hav_DVD_DVDPlayers&ProductSKU=DVPCX985V&Dept=hav

    Thanks for link though I've already looked at this player. The
    reviews for it on audioreview.com are not very flattering. Thanks
    though.

    new2this, Apr 20, 2004
  12. new2this

    Justin Guest

    new2this wrote on [19 Apr 2004 16:55:08 -0700]:
    > "Pug Fugley" <> wrote in message news:<G2pgc.17491$>...
    >> As if needing a 300 disc changer isn't lazy enough in the first place!
    >>

    > So do you consider anything that makes life easier or saves time to
    > also make you lazy? Do you own a microwave, hot water heater,
    > electric shaver, etc. ? You had better throw them out lest you go to
    > hell for committing the sin of sloth.

    Hmmm, I own a water heater myself. Why would anyone need a hot water
    heater?

    Justin, Apr 20, 2004
  13. new2this

    Impmon Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:54:33 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >Hmmm, I own a water heater myself. Why would anyone need a hot water
    >heater?

    Dunno. Maybe cuz it's faster than waiting for a kettle full of water
    to boil on a wood burning stove?

    I don't have a water heater at all, I just use my PC (seriously OC'ed)
    with liquid cooling system. Water that comes out of the PC are feed
    into a tank where the hot water sits until they are needed.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Apr 20, 2004
  14. new2this

    Justin Guest

    Impmon wrote on [Mon, 19 Apr 2004 22:14:02 -0400]:
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:54:33 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>Hmmm, I own a water heater myself. Why would anyone need a hot water
    >>heater?

    > Dunno. Maybe cuz it's faster than waiting for a kettle full of water
    > to boil on a wood burning stove?

    If the water's hot you don't need to heat it.

    Justin, Apr 20, 2004
  15. new2this

    new2this Guest

    I found one

    (new2this) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I'm considering getting a large capacity DVD changer and my research
    > so far has been disappointing. The most important aspect of a
    > changer, to me, is that it be able to easily catalog and organize the
    > disks. I had expected to find that most changers would have an
    > Ethernet or WiFi connection that would retrieve CD and DVD information
    > (like titles, genre, and thumbnails) from the internet to
    > automatically catalog the disks. Unfortunately, I have yet to find
    > one that can do more than read DVD or CD-text. Can anyone recommend a
    > player that will provide the functions that I am looking for?

    Escient makes players that do exactly what I was looking for. The
    Fireball and the old Powerplay get cd and dvd info and thumbnails off
    the net. The down side? Well they are VERY expensive. New they go
    for over $2000. That seems like way too much for the convenience.

    new2this, Apr 21, 2004
  16. On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 21:43:06 -0700, new2this wrote:

    > I'm considering getting a large capacity DVD changer and my research
    > so far has been disappointing. The most important aspect of a
    > changer, to me, is that it be able to easily catalog and organize the
    > disks. I had expected to find that most changers would have an
    > Ethernet or WiFi connection that would retrieve CD and DVD information
    > (like titles, genre, and thumbnails) from the internet to
    > automatically catalog the disks. Unfortunately, I have yet to find
    > one that can do more than read DVD or CD-text. Can anyone recommend a
    > player that will provide the functions that I am looking for?

    Hmmmm. Get a PC, put mondo large hard drives in it. Put linux on it.
    Get a second PC, put a DVD reader on it, linux, and mplayer. Now copy all
    of the DVDs to the first PC, organized the way you want. If you really
    want to get fancy, put up a web browser interface, and surf your movies.

    You could do the whole thing for less than $2k.....

    --Kamus

    --
    o__ | May your trails be dim, lonesome, stony, narrow, winding and
    ,>/'_ | only slightly uphill. May the wind bring rain for the slickrock
    | May God's dog serenade your campfire, may the rattlesnake and
    o | the screech owl amuse your reveries, may the Great Sun dazzle
    >[] | your eyes by day and the Great Bear watch over you at night.

    /\ |
    \ \ | - Edward Abbey, Beyond the Wall

    Kamus of Kadizhar, Apr 23, 2004
  17. new2this

    Impmon Guest

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:08:52 -0400, Kamus of Kadizhar
    <> wrote:

    >You could do the whole thing for less than $2k.....

    Maybe not. Preserving ripped DVD to retain all menus, all subtitles,
    etc would require upward of 9GB per DVD and assuming all DVD averages
    at 6GB (in my experience they do average 6GB) a 250GB hard drive would
    hold around 40 DVD. Getting 8x 250GB and 2x IDE cards would set you
    back oh about $1700 (average of $200 per HD and $50 per IDE card) and
    that should be enough to hold around 300 full DVDs.

    But wait, you'd need a bigger power supply for all those hard drives
    ($50+), plenety of fan to keep those hard drive cool (about $15 for
    each HD fan) and an electric bill the size of Texas!
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Apr 23, 2004
  18. new2this

    Wild Coyote Guest

    On 17 Apr 2004 21:43:06 -0700, (new2this) wrote:

    >I'm considering getting a large capacity DVD changer and my research
    >so far has been disappointing. The most important aspect of a
    >changer, to me, is that it be able to easily catalog and organize the
    >disks. I had expected to find that most changers would have an
    >Ethernet or WiFi connection that would retrieve CD and DVD information
    >(like titles, genre, and thumbnails) from the internet to
    >automatically catalog the disks. Unfortunately, I have yet to find
    >one that can do more than read DVD or CD-text. Can anyone recommend a
    >player that will provide the functions that I am looking for?

    I have a friend who owns his own PC company, custom built and whatnot.
    He is running 4 terabyte mirrored drives. He does a full rip and it
    is not easy. DVD player compensate for scratches and what not, but
    when you rip it to get menus and everything a scratch may hang it up.
    It takes practice to get it right and he uses toothpaste as a filler,
    don't ask me the details, I do not know. He uses DVD Profiler to run
    the works and it is hooked up to his TV.

    --
    Ah, to Hell With the Moon!

    Wild Coyote
    wild_coyote<AT>whoppermail.com