30 things I've learned ...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Peter, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    An interesting list of things that Adrian Kingsley-Hughes has learned about
    Linux. Some look opinion and some I disagree with, but overall probably a
    fair list that at least avoids extremism in either direction.

    ---------------------
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=677
    So here, in no particular order, are some of the things that I’ve learned
    from using Linux …
    1. That I don’t have to pay money to get my hands on a credible operating
    system.
    2. There are far more Linux distros available that I have time to try
    them out.
    3. Switching to Linux does not mean trouble-free computing.
    4. Whenever you ask a Linux user which is the best distro, invariably the
    answer you’ll get is the name of the distro that they’re using.
    5. In my opinion, the best Linux distro is Ubuntu.
    6. No matter how much I like a GUI, and no matter how lazy years of using
    Windows made me, there’s a lot to be said for using a command line.
    7. Linux does crash.
    8. The lack of a decent line-up of games for Linux sucks.
    9. Without a doubt, you need lower system requirements to run a Linux
    distro such as Ubuntu compared to Vista.
    10. No matter what Linux fans tell me, I still believe that Wine is far
    from perfect.
    11. Installing Linux is far easier than installing Windows.
    12. I still haven’t found the killer app for Linux.
    13. Arguing, or even trying to enter into any kind of sensible discussion
    with a Linux fanboy is pointless. Any opinions you have will be trampled
    on, dismissed out of hand and their own opinion substituted in its place as
    fact.
    14. Try as I might, I can’t drum up enthusiasm for RedHat or SuSE.
    15. The LiveCD really does mean that anyone who can burn and boot up off a
    CD can take Linux for a spin.
    16. Linux’s main weak point when it comes to hardware support is WiFi. If
    there’s one area that the development community need to address urgently,
    it’s this.
    17. There are legal alternatives to illegal codecs … but you have to know
    where to look.
    18. Steer clear of proprietary file formats such as WMA and WMV and you
    avoid 99% of codec hassles.
    19. A Linux distro with Beryl installed makes Vista’s Aero look lame.
    20. Open Office can do 90% of what I use Microsoft Office for …
    21. … however, Open Office has some serious speed issues.
    22. The key to success with Linux has nothing to do with being good with
    computers, it’s about being good with Google and having one heck of a sense
    of adventure.
    23. I still don’t understand the deal with Gobuntu.
    24. Setting up a Windows/Linux dual boot machine is simple.
    25. The Linux bootloader is very versatile.
    26. While Michael Dell might like Automatix, I’m not all that thrilled
    with it.
    27. The more I use Linux, the less I want to buy into the Mac ecosystem.
    28. I really don’t care whether the software I use on Linux is open-source
    or closed-source.
    29. The more I use Linux distros, the more OS agnostic I find myself
    becoming.
    30. No matter how jazzed I feel about Linux, I’m 100% certain that desktop
    Linux distros represent no threat to the dominance of Windows - at least in
    the short to medium term.

    Oh, and how could I leave off the final thing I’ve learned: Using Linux
    gives me a satisfying sense of “sticking it to the man,†although at times
    I get the feeling that the person I’m sticking it to ends up being me.
    -----------------

    Peter, Aug 8, 2007

  2. Peter

    Allistar Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > An interesting list of things that Adrian Kingsley-Hughes has learned
    > about
    > Linux. Some look opinion and some I disagree with, but overall probably a
    > fair list that at least avoids extremism in either direction.
    >
    > ---------------------
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=677
    > So here, in no particular order, are some of the things that I’ve learned
    > from using Linux …
    > 1. That I don’t have to pay money to get my hands on a credible
    > operating system.

    Of course not.

    > 2. There are far more Linux distros available that I have time to try
    > them out.

    Indeed. I've been using it as my only desktop for at least 5 years and have
    only tried 3 distros.

    > 3. Switching to Linux does not mean trouble-free computing.
    > 4. Whenever you ask a Linux user which is the best distro, invariably
    > the answer you’ll get is the name of the distro that they’re using.

    Of course - and the answer is Gentoo :)

    > 5. In my opinion, the best Linux distro is Ubuntu.

    That's one of the ones I've used and it is nice.

    > 6. No matter how much I like a GUI, and no matter how lazy years of
    > using Windows made me, there’s a lot to be said for using a command
    > line.

    Absolutely.

    > 7. Linux does crash.

    Very rarely IMO. I've had X lock up a few times before, but X is not Linux.

    > 8. The lack of a decent line-up of games for Linux sucks.

    Which is not a problem if you're not into games. UT2004 rocks under Linux
    though.

    > 9. Without a doubt, you need lower system requirements to run a Linux
    > distro such as Ubuntu compared to Vista.

    Never seen or used Vista so cannot comment except to say that Linux gives
    you much more control over the way the OS operates with the hardware.
    Especially distros compiled from source.

    > 10. No matter what Linux fans tell me, I still believe that Wine is far
    > from perfect.

    Never had a need for it myself.

    > 11. Installing Linux is far easier than installing Windows.

    Depends on the distro, but overall I'd agree.

    > 12. I still haven’t found the killer app for Linux.

    For a completely useless, but awesome app take a look at "Beryl". I love my
    wobbly windows.

    > 13. Arguing, or even trying to enter into any kind of sensible
    > discussion with a Linux fanboy is pointless. Any opinions you have will
    > be trampled on, dismissed out of hand and their own opinion substituted
    > in its place as fact.

    I suppose that depends what you mean by "fanboy".

    > 14. Try as I might, I can’t drum up enthusiasm for RedHat or SuSE.
    > 15. The LiveCD really does mean that anyone who can burn and boot up off
    > a CD can take Linux for a spin.

    > 16. Linux’s main weak point when it comes to hardware support is WiFi.
    > If there’s one area that the development community need to address
    > urgently, it’s this.

    I think you'll find it's the commercial wifi hardware providers that need to
    come to the party on this one.

    > 17. There are legal alternatives to illegal codecs … but you have to
    > know where to look.
    > 18. Steer clear of proprietary file formats such as WMA and WMV and you
    > avoid 99% of codec hassles.

    And .doc :)

    > 19. A Linux distro with Beryl installed makes Vista’s Aero look lame.

    Again, I've not seen Vista, but Beryl is awesome.

    > 20. Open Office can do 90% of what I use Microsoft Office for …
    > 21. … however, Open Office has some serious speed issues.

    I've not noticed any of them (but then again I have a quad core processor).

    > 22. The key to success with Linux has nothing to do with being good with
    > computers, it’s about being good with Google and having one heck of a
    > sense of adventure.
    > 23. I still don’t understand the deal with Gobuntu.
    > 24. Setting up a Windows/Linux dual boot machine is simple.

    Never done it before.

    > 25. The Linux bootloader is very versatile.

    Which one? There are a few to choose from.

    > 26. While Michael Dell might like Automatix, I’m not all that thrilled
    > with it.
    > 27. The more I use Linux, the less I want to buy into the Mac ecosystem.
    > 28. I really don’t care whether the software I use on Linux is
    > open-source or closed-source.

    I do as I'd much rather compile things from source, and be able to fix bugs
    or extend applications.

    > 29. The more I use Linux distros, the more OS agnostic I find myself
    > becoming.
    > 30. No matter how jazzed I feel about Linux, I’m 100% certain that
    > desktop Linux distros represent no threat to the dominance of Windows -
    > at least in the short to medium term.

    I disagree with this one. I am one of millions of customers Microsoft has
    lost. That's a threat.

    > Oh, and how could I leave off the final thing I’ve learned: Using Linux
    > gives me a satisfying sense of “sticking it to the man,†although at times
    > I get the feeling that the person I’m sticking it to ends up being me.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 9, 2007

  3. Peter

    Max Burke Guest

    > In news: Peter Scribbled:

    [snip] The usual crap about Linux...

    One thing I've learned about Linux....

    To use Linux you have to make it the one and only thing in your life that
    ever matters.....

    And that is how I learned I do not need, let alone want to ever become a
    Linux Loser....
    Awaiting the humour impaired frothing at the mouth rantings and ravings of
    all the linux losers infesting nz.comp.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 9, 2007
  4. Peter

    Peter Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    >> ---------------------
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=677
    >> 3. Switching to Linux does not mean trouble-free computing.

    Maybe not, but in my experience Linux is less trouble than Windos.

    >> 5. In my opinion, the best Linux distro is Ubuntu.

    > That's one of the ones I've used and it is nice.

    Running Kubuntu here and it is just fine.

    >> 7. Linux does crash.

    > Very rarely IMO. I've had X lock up a few times before, but X is not
    > Linux.

    V rare for Linux to crash. X crash is more likely if you are setting up X
    config or upgrading kernel or something like that. For most desktop users,
    there is little practical difference between an X crash and a full OS
    crash.

    >> 9. Without a doubt, you need lower system requirements to run a Linux
    >> distro such as Ubuntu compared to Vista.

    > Never seen or used Vista so cannot comment except to say that Linux gives
    > you much more control over the way the OS operates with the hardware.
    > Especially distros compiled from source.

    On the hardware where I've tried both Vista and Kubuntu, Vista is way slower
    and quite sluggish.

    >> 11. Installing Linux is far easier than installing Windows.

    > Depends on the distro, but overall I'd agree.

    Definitely. I've done installs of both, and Linux is much easier.

    >> 13. Arguing, or even trying to enter into any kind of sensible
    >> discussion with a Linux fanboy is pointless. Any opinions you have
    >> will be trampled on, dismissed out of hand and their own opinion
    >> substituted in its place as fact.

    > I suppose that depends what you mean by "fanboy".

    Same applies for Microsoft fanboys, perhaps even more so.

    >> 19. A Linux distro with Beryl installed makes Vista’s Aero look lame.

    > Again, I've not seen Vista, but Beryl is awesome.

    Aero looks lame by itself, even before you see Beryl.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC5uEe5OzNQ

    >> 20. Open Office can do 90% of what I use Microsoft Office for …

    MS Office can do 90% of what I use OpenOffice for.

    >> Oh, and how could I leave off the final thing I’ve learned: Using Linux
    >> gives me a satisfying sense of “sticking it to the man,†although at
    >> times I get the feeling that the person I’m sticking it to ends up being
    >> me.

    That is probably not a good motivation to do anything.

    Peter

    Peter, Aug 9, 2007
  5. Peter

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> In news: Peter Scribbled:

    > [snip] The usual crap about Linux...
    >

    > One thing I've learned about Linux....
    >
    > To use Linux you have to make it the one and only thing in your life
    > that ever matters.....
    >
    > And that is how I learned I do not need, let alone want to ever become a
    > Linux Loser....
    > Awaiting the humour impaired frothing at the mouth rantings and ravings
    > of all the linux losers infesting nz.comp.

    Can you please post the URL for the church of Saint Bill, Redmond?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 9, 2007
  6. Peter

    Shane Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    >> In news: Peter Scribbled:

    > [snip] The usual crap about Linux...
    >

    > One thing I've learned about Linux....
    >
    > To use Linux you have to make it the one and only thing in your life that
    > ever matters.....
    >
    > And that is how I learned I do not need, let alone want to ever become a
    > Linux Loser....
    > Awaiting the humour impaired frothing at the mouth rantings and ravings of
    > all the linux losers infesting nz.comp.

    Your post is supposed to be humour?????
    --
    A physicist, a mathematician and a computer scientist discuss what is
    better: a wife or a girlfriend.

    Shane, Aug 9, 2007
  7. In message <>, Max Burke wrote:

    > And that is how I learned I do not need, let alone want to ever become a
    > Linux Loser....

    So how's your Vista upgrade coming along?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 9, 2007
  8. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:27:48 +1200, Peter wrote:

    > An interesting list of things that Adrian Kingsley-Hughes has learned
    > about Linux.

    Did he, of is he a troll of MS?

    Think about it.

    Gordon, Aug 11, 2007
  9. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:13:21 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    >> In news: Peter Scribbled:

    > [snip] The usual crap about Linux...

    {snip}

    The point is you still have a choice, thanks to the competition. Linux is
    forcing MS to go places it never thought it would. Good for us all.
    Study history eh?

    Gordon, Aug 11, 2007
  10. Peter

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:45:05 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > So how's your Vista upgrade coming along?

    Yes, I have selective snipped.

    Great, Linux has taken over the OS, at my command. All right! :)
    apologies to Family Guy.

    Gordon, Aug 11, 2007
  11. Peter

    Max Burke Guest

    > In news: Gordon Scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >>> In news: Peter Scribbled:

    >> [snip] The usual crap about Linux...

    > The point is you still have a choice,

    The point that *so many* Linux losers try to make is that I have *NO
    CHOICE.*
    I guess they're (you?) are lying when they claim that huh....

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Aug 12, 2007
  12. On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:48:30 +1200, Max Burke wrote:

    >> The point is you still have a choice,

    > The point that *so many* Linux losers try to make is that I have *NO
    > CHOICE.*

    You have no "choice" if believe Micro$oft's FUD and other propaganda.

    however, you very much do have a real choice if you want to regain control
    over your own computer and what you can do with it.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Aug 12, 2007
  13. Peter

    Enkidu Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    >>> [snip] The usual crap about Linux...

    >> The point is you still have a choice,

    > The point that *so many* Linux losers try to make is that I have *NO
    > CHOICE.*
    > I guess they're (you?) are lying when they claim that huh....

    You have no choice. The universe is deterministic, so choice does not exist.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Aug 12, 2007
  14. Peter

    sam Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Max Burke wrote:
    >>> In news: Gordon Scribbled:

    >>> The point is you still have a choice,

    >> The point that *so many* Linux losers try to make is that I have *NO
    >> CHOICE.*
    >> I guess they're (you?) are lying when they claim that huh....
    >>

    > You have no choice. The universe is deterministic, so choice does not
    > exist.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Once you connect to the internet you don't have a choice either, you are
    a linux user.

    sam, Aug 12, 2007
  15. Peter

    Allistar Guest

    sam wrote:

    >>> The point that *so many* Linux losers try to make is that I have *NO
    >>> CHOICE.*
    >>> I guess they're (you?) are lying when they claim that huh....
    >>>

    >> You have no choice. The universe is deterministic, so choice does not
    >> exist.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    > Once you connect to the internet you don't have a choice either, you are
    > a linux user.

    Not necessarily, although I understand the sentiment of your statement.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Aug 15, 2007
  16. Peter

    sam Guest

    Allistar wrote:
    > sam wrote:

    >>> You have no choice. The universe is deterministic, so choice does not
    >>> exist.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff
    >>>

    >> Once you connect to the internet you don't have a choice either, you are
    >> a linux user.

    > Not necessarily, although I understand the sentiment of your statement.
    >
    > Allistar.

    The internet is a computer network comprised of computers running
    various operating systems, its not possible to isolate it out into the
    Windows internet or the Apple internet.
    You might gain some semantic satisfaction by claiming that your packets
    were tunneled through some virtual connection, but it is the whole
    network you are connecting to.

    sam, Aug 15, 2007
  17. Peter

    Yeah Right Guest

    On , , Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:13:21 +1200, Re: 30 things I've learned
    ...., "Max Burke" <> wrote:

    >> In news: Peter Scribbled:

    >[snip] The usual crap about Linux...
    >

    >One thing I've learned about Linux....
    >
    >To use Linux you have to make it the one and only thing in your life that
    >ever matters.....

    It is the equivalent of a religious conversion.

    Yeah Right, Aug 17, 2007
  18. Peter

    Miguel Guest

    >On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:41:20 +1200, Yeah Right wrote:
    >
    > It is the equivalent of a religious conversion.

    I'm not sure if you're being facetious but for me it really was like
    being shown an entire new world. One which had co-existed a quarter turn
    away from the world in which I had lived for the previous twenty years.
    Staggering stuff.

    Very Dirk Gently :)

    Regards
    Miguel

    Miguel, Aug 17, 2007
  19. On Fri, 17 Aug 2007 20:41:20 +1200, Yeah Right
    <> wrote in

    > On , , Thu, 9 Aug 2007 23:13:21 +1200, Re: 30 things I've learned
    > ..., "Max Burke" <> wrote:
    >
    >>> In news: Peter Scribbled:

    >>[snip] The usual crap about Linux...
    >>

    >>One thing I've learned about Linux....
    >>
    >>To use Linux you have to make it the one and only thing in your life that
    >>ever matters.....

    > It is the equivalent of a religious conversion.

    Yes, a real experience of the spirit, that. Straight to the meths.

    --
    Nicolaas.

    .... A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will help you to not
    roll over and go back to sleep after you hit what you thought was the
    snooze button.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Aug 17, 2007