30 gig drive only 25 after format??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SirReal, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. SirReal

    SirReal Guest

    my original question was: why did you advertise
    a product with a 30 gig hard drive and sent one
    with only 25 gig. here is his response. is he on
    the level?? i don't see formatting taking up 5 gig.
    perhaps i am wrong. please. i need your responses.
    be as concise as possible. thanks in advance.

    Dear Dell Customer,

    Dell's e-mail software interprets your
    message as a request for information
    about a discrepancy in reported hard
    drive size. This response document offers
    information about that issue.

    Binary vs. Decimal Numbering Systems
    =============================
    Manufacturers and marketers of computer
    hard drives report the raw storage capacity
    of the drives before they are formatted and
    in decimal numbers. A decimal megabyte is
    1,000,000 bytes. Windows, however, reports
    the capacity of the hard drive after formatting
    and in binary numbers. A binary megabyte is
    1,073,741,824 bytes. Clearly, there are more
    decimal megabytes in an unformatted drive then
    binary megabytes in a formatted one.
    The result is that the same drive may be described
    as having a capacity of 80 MB or about 75 MB
    depending on which numbering system is used and
    whether the capacity is calculated before or after
    low-level and high-level formatting.

    The Effect of Cluster Size
    ===============================
    Other factors also reduce the available capacity
    of a formatted hard drive. Cluster size is one
    factor. A cluster is the smallest storage unit
    available on a drive. In general, the larger
    the drive the larger the cluster size. This means
    that a small text file of 100 bytes will be stored
    in a very large cluster of 32,000 or 64,000 bytes,
    and nothing else can be stored that cluster.
    Most hard drive formatting results in significant
    amounts of unusable storage capacity. NTFS clusters
    are smaller than FAT32 clusters. You can use smaller
    clusters if you divide a large physical drive into
    several smaller logical drives. Most hard drive
    utilities that increase available space do so by
    compressing files and taking advantage of empty
    clusters space. Dell Technical Support does not
    recommend using compression utilities because they
    are all somewhat unsafe for your data.

    Low-level Format Reserve Sectors
    =============================
    Reserve sectors are another factor. It is
    impossible to manufacture millions of perfectly
    flawless high-capacity drive platters. All platters
    have some flaws. Manufacturers reserve a certain
    amount of raw hard drive space to swap for damaged
    sectors that are locked out during factory low-level
    formatting, and the size of this reserved space is
    proprietary information. This means that a drive
    labeled "80 GB" is only that large in decimal numbers,
    before reserve sectors are taken, before low-level
    formatting, and before high-level formatting.

    Very Large Drive Size Discrepancies
    =============================
    If your 80 GB drive has only 32 GB of available
    storage, you are dealing with an operating system
    and file system limit, not a physical limit.

    All current Dell computers are shipped with the NTFS
    file system and either Windows XP or Windows 2000.

    It is easy to change the file system to FAT32 in
    Windows XP. Some customers MUST change to FAT32
    so that an important legacy program will run under
    Windows XP. However the largest FAT32 partition that
    Windows XP can recognize is 32 GB. This limit is part
    of the design of Windows XP, and Microsoft has no plans
    to change it.

    If you are adding a hard drive larger than 137 GB you
    may need a third-party controller card or overlay
    software to allow you to access the full capacity of
    the drive. To learn more about this limit, enter the
    words "138 GB limit" in any major search site.

    SirReal, Jun 28, 2005

  2. SirReal

    Gordon Guest

    On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:16:58 +0000, SirReal wrote:

    > my original question was: why did you advertise
    > a product with a 30 gig hard drive and sent one
    > with only 25 gig.

    Quite right. Take the humble floppy disk. 2MB unformatted, only 1.44 MB
    formatted!
    I have an 80 GB External HDD. Unformatted. When I format it, it becomes
    only 72 GB.
    I was flummoxed by this at one stage as well.

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Fedora Core 4, Pan, Thunderbird and Firefox

    Gordon, Jun 28, 2005

  3. SirReal

    Vanguard Guest

    "SirReal" <> wrote in message

    > my original question was: why did you advertise
    > a product with a 30 gig hard drive and sent one
    > with only 25 gig. here is his response. is he on
    > the level?? i don't see formatting taking up 5 gig.
    > perhaps i am wrong. please. i need your responses.
    > be as concise as possible. thanks in advance.

    Computers use binary (i.e., some power of 2). 2^30 is a gigabyte.
    That's 1,073,741,824 bytes. Divide 30GB decimal by 1073741824 and you
    get 27.9GB binary based. Out of that 27.9GB of space, some gets used up
    with the master file table (MFT) and journaling. If you are using NTFS,
    12.5% of the available space gets *reserved* (not consumed) for the MFT
    (see
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prkc_fil_xhpo.asp)
    so you are looking at another 3.6GB being reserved for the MFT. You
    also have paging space for virtual memory using up the hard drive space
    (I don't know where any of the numbers you quoted came from so they may
    or may not include the pagefile space, which is also *reserved* and NOT
    permanently consumed).

    Vanguard, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Gordon wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:16:58 +0000, SirReal wrote:

    >> my original question was: why did you advertise
    >> a product with a 30 gig hard drive and sent one
    >> with only 25 gig.

    > Quite right. Take the humble floppy disk. 2MB unformatted, only 1.44 MB
    > formatted!

    There used to be a way (well, I'm sure there still is <g>) to get
    something like 1.8MB out of a floppy. Damned if I remember how, but
    I've done it -- just for the sake of the experiment.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 28, 2005
  5. SirReal

    why? Guest

    On 28 Jun 2005 18:10:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >> On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 17:16:58 +0000, SirReal wrote:

    >>> my original question was: why did you advertise
    >>> a product with a 30 gig hard drive and sent one
    >>> with only 25 gig.

    >> Quite right. Take the humble floppy disk. 2MB unformatted, only 1.44 MB
    >> formatted!

    >There used to be a way (well, I'm sure there still is <g>) to get
    >something like 1.8MB out of a floppy. Damned if I remember how, but
    >I've done it -- just for the sake of the experiment.

    DMF 1.68 and 1.72 etc, this will let you do it WinImage from
    www.winimage.com

    Me

    why?, Jun 28, 2005
  6. SirReal

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 28, 2005
  7. why? wrote:

    > On 28 Jun 2005 18:10:12 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>Gordon wrote:

    >>> Quite right. Take the humble floppy disk. 2MB unformatted, only 1.44 MB
    >>> formatted!

    >>There used to be a way (well, I'm sure there still is <g>) to get
    >>something like 1.8MB out of a floppy. Damned if I remember how, but
    >>I've done it -- just for the sake of the experiment.

    > DMF 1.68 and 1.72 etc, this will let you do it WinImage from
    > www.winimage.com

    I could've sworn it could be done without any special software, by
    tweaking some native DOS file. I think I vaguely remember some file
    that contained formats available to the native format command, and
    adding lines that made available some larger formats; seems like there
    were four or six of them or so (1.8MB being the largest (or at least
    the largest recommended, before the magnetic granularity of the floppy
    medium itself made things too edgy). Maybe I'm misremembering.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 28, 2005
  8. SirReal

    cnw Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > why? wrote:

    >>>There used to be a way (well, I'm sure there still is <g>) to get
    >>>something like 1.8MB out of a floppy. Damned if I remember how, but
    >>>I've done it -- just for the sake of the experiment.

    >> DMF 1.68 and 1.72 etc, this will let you do it WinImage from
    >> www.winimage.com

    > I could've sworn it could be done without any special software, by
    > tweaking some native DOS file. I think I vaguely remember some file
    > that contained formats available to the native format command, and
    > adding lines that made available some larger formats; seems like there
    > were four or six of them or so (1.8MB being the largest (or at least
    > the largest recommended, before the magnetic granularity of the floppy
    > medium itself made things too edgy). Maybe I'm misremembering.

    I vaguely remember this also, but it's been a long time since I've used
    DOS. Perhaps you are remembering the superformat command in Linux, which
    has similar functionality? This also has a configuration file (/etc/fdprm
    or /etc/mediaprm) containing a list of the various formats available.

    --
    Current peeve: The inability of many Google Groups (G2) users to
    attribute and quote text in followups.

    cnw, Jun 28, 2005
  9. SirReal wrote:
    > my original question was: why did you advertise
    > a product with a 30 gig hard drive and sent one
    > with only 25 gig. here is his response. is he on
    > the level?? i don't see formatting taking up 5 gig.
    > perhaps i am wrong. please. i need your responses.
    > be as concise as possible. thanks in advance.

    What planet have you been living on for the past 30 years?! I *CANNOT*
    believe there is *STILL* someoneon this planet who doesn't know the
    difference between decimal and binary! You could have Googled instead of
    posting here and making yourself an even bigger fuckwit than you already
    obviously are.

    three decades or so. You're speaking as though this isn't your first
    computer - didn't you notice the difference with other systems you've
    owned?!

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jun 28, 2005
  10. SirReal

    SirReal Guest

    Re: what i found out, 30 gig - only 25

    ....here is what i found out, i had to bark at
    2 'techies' to finally get the answer. the disk
    'format' took only took up a little over 2 gigs.

    here is what took up the rest:

    On all new Dell systems beginning 07/16/2004, Dell installed a PC Restore
    partition (DSR) that can be used in restoring the system to out-of-box
    condition. It is the easiest way to reinstall the Operating System.

    The Dell PC Restore partition (DSR) will take up approximately 3.0 GB of the
    hard drive space. You can follow these steps to check the PC Restore
    partition in disk management.

    1. Click Start -> Control Panel
    * Look to the left panel. If listed, click "Switch to Classic View"
    2. Click Administrative Tools
    3. Open Computer Management.
    4. Click on Disk Management under Storage.

    The discrepancy in reporting drive sizes (base-2 vs. base-10) may lead you
    to believe that you have a hard disk drive of less than expected capacity if
    you compare the figure reported by the operating system with the figure
    reported by your documentation, although the actual hard drive size is
    identical. Microsoft® Windows® simply counts the size differently, and will
    report a different, slightly smaller, figure.

    Here are some common hard drive sizes and their size as reported by the
    operating system:

    4.3 GB = 4.0 GB
    6.4 GB = 6.10 GB
    8.4 GB = 8.01 GB
    9.1 GB = 8.68 GB
    11.5 GB = 10.97 GB
    13.6 GB =12.66 GB
    16 GB =15.26 GB
    20.0 GB = 18.6 GB
    20.4 GB = 19.46 GB
    24.4 GB = 22.99 GB
    27.3 GB = 26.04 GB
    30 GB = 28.61 GB
    45 GB = 43 GB

    For more information, you may also refer to the link/site below:

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?DN=1024750

    * If listed, click Home and Home Office
    * Type in your Service Tag number [press Enter]

    Also, I have checked your system specifications. Your hard disk drive has
    the 30 GB size it just happens that the other amount of it is allocated to
    the other components of your system.

    You can see how much space the Dell PC Restore partition (DSR) and other
    partitions occupy on the hard drive.

    Please Note: You should be logged on with an account with administrator
    rights to check and use Disk Management.

    wish they would have told me about this is some
    flyer or note in the setup guide or something. ah heck
    i enjoyed jumpin' down there throat. poetic justice.
    since they keep reducing the price of this machine.
    paid $599(US). now i can get the same thing for
    $540(US).

    christ you know it ain't easy, you know how hard it
    can be. the way things are going. there gonna
    crucify me.

    SirReal, Jun 29, 2005
  11. cnw wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> why? wrote:

    >>> DMF 1.68 and 1.72 etc, this will let you do it WinImage from
    >>> www.winimage.com

    >> I could've sworn it could be done without any special software, by
    >> tweaking some native DOS file. I think I vaguely remember some file
    >> that contained formats available to the native format command, and
    >> adding lines that made available some larger formats; seems like there
    >> were four or six of them or so (1.8MB being the largest (or at least
    >> the largest recommended, before the magnetic granularity of the floppy
    >> medium itself made things too edgy). Maybe I'm misremembering.

    > I vaguely remember this also, but it's been a long time since I've used
    > DOS. Perhaps you are remembering the superformat command in Linux, which
    > has similar functionality? This also has a configuration file (/etc/fdprm
    > or /etc/mediaprm) containing a list of the various formats available.

    I wondered if I were mixing the two OSs, myself. I didn't think so, but
    Looking at this:

    [blinky@thurston blinky]$ less /etc/fdprm
    # /etc/fdprm - floppy disk parameter table

    # Common disk formats. Names are of the form
    # actual media capacity/maximum drive capacity
    # (Note: although 5.25" HD drives can format disks at 1.44M, they're listed
    # as 1200 because that's the common maximum size.)

    # size sec/t hds trk stre gap rate spec1 fmt_gap
    360/360 720 9 2 40 0 0x2A 0x02 0xDF 0x50
    1200/1200 2400 15 2 80 0 0x1B 0x00 0xDF 0x54
    360/720 720 9 2 40 1 0x2A 0x02 0xDF 0x50
    720/720 1440 9 2 80 0 0x2A 0x02 0xDF 0x50
    720/1440 1440 9 2 80 0 0x2A 0x02 0xDF 0x50
    360/1200 720 9 2 40 1 0x23 0x01 0xDF 0x50
    720/1200 1440 9 2 80 0 0x23 0x01 0xDF 0x50
    1440/1440 2880 18 2 80 0 0x1B 0x00 0xCF 0x6C

    I don't see the 1.8-ish-MB size that we're talking about, but maybe *if*
    this is what I used it was with a prior installation of Linux, so my
    tracks aren't still in the mud.

    Also, there's setfdprm (man setfdprm), but that doesn't address any
    specific formats.

    Also², there's this:

    http://www.handhelds.org/download/distributions/intimate/beta_a2/etc/mediaprm

    Look at that first list.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 29, 2005
  12. cnw wrote:

    >--
    >Current peeve: The inability of many Google Groups (G2) users to
    >attribute and quote text in followups.

    And not my own sig. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jun 29, 2005
  13. SirReal

    SirReal Guest

    > What planet have you been living on for the past 30 years?! I *CANNOT*
    > believe there is *STILL* someoneon this planet who doesn't know the
    > difference between decimal and binary! You could have Googled instead of
    > posting here and making yourself an even bigger fuckwit than you already
    > obviously are.

    > three decades or so. You're speaking as though this isn't your first
    > computer - didn't you notice the difference with other systems you've
    > owned?!

    ....hey suckass...read my follow up post...i truely understand the
    difference, it was taken into considereation...formatting does not take up 5
    gigs..you moron...there is something else microscam and dell included...read
    on fool....
    idiot savant....

    SirReal, Jun 29, 2005
  14. SirReal wrote:
    >> What planet have you been living on for the past 30 years?! I
    >> *CANNOT* believe there is *STILL* someoneon this planet who doesn't
    >> know the difference between decimal and binary! You could have
    >> Googled instead of posting here and making yourself an even bigger
    >> fuckwit than you already obviously are.

    >> past three decades or so. You're speaking as though this isn't your
    >> first computer - didn't you notice the difference with other systems
    >> you've owned?!

    > ...hey suckass...read my follow up post...i truely understand the
    > difference, it was taken into considereation...formatting does not
    > take up 5 gigs..you moron...there is something else microscam and
    > dell included...read on fool....
    > idiot savant....

    It's got nothing whatsoever to do with formatting, fucktard, it's pure
    mathematics (though, as you obviously failed grade school maths as well as
    English, you probably don't understand the difference).

    Miss Perspicacia Tick, Jun 29, 2005
  15. SirReal

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:23:54 GMT, "SirReal" <> wrote:

    <snip>
    >...hey suckass...read my follow up post...i truely understand the
    >difference, it was taken into considereation...formatting does not take up 5
    >gigs..you moron...there is something else microscam and dell included...read
    >on fool....
    >idiot savant....

    I'm sorry, but I have to rate this flame at a -6 on a 1-10 scale. The lames
    are...well, just lame, the grammar stinks, and given your lack of attribution,
    you're flaming...nobody.

    "You accomplished something, but I'm pretty sure it isn't what you intended."

    AND I WANT TO KNOW WHY NOT!"
    --glmar04 at twirl.mcc.ac.uk in a.s.r

    Mara, Jun 29, 2005
  16. SirReal

    doS Guest

    Re: what i found out, 30 gig - only 25

    I would have barked too, since it was you that didn't know jack about the
    hdd and partition. The restore partition is clearly labeled in most cases.
    BTW, XP can see more than 32gb also.

    doS, Jun 29, 2005
  17. SirReal

    doS Guest

    He accomplished being a fucktard.

    doS, Jun 29, 2005
  18. SirReal

    SirReal Guest

    > It's got nothing whatsoever to do with formatting, fucktard, it's pure
    > mathematics (though, as you obviously failed grade school maths as well as
    > English, you probably don't understand the difference).

    ....you still don't get it. damn yer simple minded...this
    has nothing, NOTHING to do with mathmatics...the format is a given...what is
    not is the givinen is the fact
    that microscam and dell stuffed a 3 gig function for
    recover/restrore without mentioning a thing about it...

    ....is that concept to difficult for you to understand??...
    'course it is....

    SirReal, Jun 29, 2005
  19. SirReal

    SirReal Guest

    > I'm sorry, but I have to rate this flame at a -6 on a 1-10 scale. The
    > lames
    > are...well, just lame, the grammar stinks, and given your lack of
    > attribution,
    > you're flaming...nobody.

    ....no sir...a flame was not intended. lame??, gave you info that you 'probly
    didn't know about. grammer, does it matter is the message was understood,
    wasn't it??
    attribution?? gain the info straight from the horses mouth.
    i would think that at some would have appreciated it.

    flaming nobody??. then i would have to conclude miss
    tick is nobody.

    i came here with a simple request. gained some very
    concrete information. then the shit hits the fan. you
    should be jumping miss tick's bones. not mine. i stood
    up to a moron. and you...just flamed me...no who's lame??

    keep all concise. if i could gain one. just one conversation of relavence
    without caustic comments then this ng would
    start out to be the a true 'help desk'...

    SirReal, Jun 29, 2005
  20. SirReal

    "doS" <> wrote in message
    >I would have barked too, since it was you that didn't know jack about the
    > hdd and partition. The restore partition is clearly labeled in most cases.
    > BTW, XP can see more than 32gb also.

    this has nothing to do with partition. this has to do with
    code slipped upon one's hard drive without the user/buyer
    knowing about it.

    i completely know about about the appoximate amount of
    space needed for the format. what i didn't know was the
    deception perpetrated but microscam and dell. i do know now. does that
    make any sense to you??.

    please, i am not in the market for flames on this ng. i ask
    questions and seemingly find there a vultures wanting to
    cause a disturbance. leave them alone??, or fight back??. please advise.

    SirReal, Jun 29, 2005