    hard drive. Are there any free or low cost solutions? Software like Windows
    My Briefcase , Synctoy or similar work only between two folders
    divoch

    divoch, May 23, 2006

  2. divoch

    Vanguard Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message
    news:sLHcg.19796$...
    >I would like to keep a set of folders ( OE strore, My Docs, Favorits
    >and Address book) in synch between Desktop PC and Laptop via a moveable
    >external hard drive. Are there any free or low cost solutions? Software
    >like Windows My Briefcase , Synctoy or similar work only between two
    >folders
    > divoch

    So why not simply put your OE message store, My Documents folder, and
    Favorites folder on the external hard drive? OE lets you specify where
    is its message store. My Documents can be moved by right-clicking on
    its desktop icon and changing its properties. Favorites can be moved
    and registry entries updated by using Microsoft's TweakUI.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, May 23, 2006

  3. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>I would like to keep a set of folders ( OE strore, My Docs, Favorits and
    >>Address book) in synch between Desktop PC and Laptop via a moveable
    >>external hard drive. Are there any free or low cost solutions? Software
    >>like Windows My Briefcase , Synctoy or similar work only between two
    >>folders
    >> divoch
    >>

    > So why not simply put your OE message store, My Documents folder, and
    > Favorites folder on the external hard drive? OE lets you specify where is
    > its message store. My Documents can be moved by right-clicking on its
    > desktop icon and changing its properties. Favorites can be moved and
    > registry entries updated by using Microsoft's TweakUI.

    It would not be a bad way if all I wanted was synchronisation. However
    in that way I would have only one copy of everything and my intention
    was to create also a backup - at the same time. In my approach,
    if feasible, I would have more or less everything triplicated.
    Also, it would be preferable if I did not have take with me a mobile drive
    when I am travelling with a Laptop.
    (I did not know that you can move Favorites and
    about Microsoft's TweakUI )
    divoch

    divoch, May 23, 2006
  4. divoch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:sLHcg.19796$,
    divoch spewed forth:
    > I would like to keep a set of folders ( OE strore, My Docs, Favorits
    > and Address book) in synch between Desktop PC and Laptop via a
    > moveable external hard drive. Are there any free or low cost
    > solutions? Software like Windows My Briefcase , Synctoy or similar
    > work only between two folders divoch

    Before I had a VPN to my office, I used a program called Ghostfiles to do
    this kind of thing - www.lowrieweb.com

    Also, Karen's Replicator might do the same -
    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    You have to set up a sync between the desktop and the external, and a sync
    between the laptop and the external.

    Toolman Tim, May 23, 2006
  5. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > In news:sLHcg.19796$,
    > divoch spewed forth:
    >> I would like to keep a set of folders ( OE strore, My Docs, Favorits
    >> and Address book) in synch between Desktop PC and Laptop via a
    >> moveable external hard drive. Are there any free or low cost
    >> solutions? Software like Windows My Briefcase , Synctoy or similar
    >> work only between two folders divoch

    > Before I had a VPN to my office, I used a program called Ghostfiles to do
    > this kind of thing - www.lowrieweb.com
    >
    > Also, Karen's Replicator might do the same -
    > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
    >
    > You have to set up a sync between the desktop and the external, and a sync
    > between the laptop and the external.

    If those files on external are common to both, e.g. a single OE store
    folder on external can be synchronised with the desktop and laptop
    copies of the same folder on the desktop and laptop then that is what
    I am after.
    divoch

    divoch, May 23, 2006
  6. divoch

    Vanguard Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> In news:sLHcg.19796$,
    >> divoch spewed forth:
    >>> I would like to keep a set of folders ( OE strore, My Docs, Favorits
    >>> and Address book) in synch between Desktop PC and Laptop via a
    >>> moveable external hard drive. Are there any free or low cost
    >>> solutions? Software like Windows My Briefcase , Synctoy or similar
    >>> work only between two folders divoch

    >> Before I had a VPN to my office, I used a program called Ghostfiles
    >> to do this kind of thing - www.lowrieweb.com
    >>
    >> Also, Karen's Replicator might do the same -
    >> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
    >>
    >> You have to set up a sync between the desktop and the external, and a
    >> sync between the laptop and the external.

    > If those files on external are common to both, e.g. a single OE store
    > folder on external can be synchronised with the desktop and laptop
    > copies of the same folder on the desktop and laptop then that is what
    > I am after.

    Your problem is that while you synchronize files, like for My Documents
    or Favorites, you cannot use file synchronization for the *contents* of
    a file. The OE message store is a bunch of .dbx file but how are you
    going to synchronize items *within* them to their copies on the other
    host? If you just sync the files, you will lose all e-mails within a
    ..dbx file on one host when the .dbx file on the other host is newer.
    You get the newer files. You don't get the newer or missing items
    within the files. So export/import seems the only method to do the
    per-item sync *within* the files. That's why I suggested SHARING the
    files. You would be updating the same .dbx files on each host. If you
    want backups, well, then use the Backup program already included in
    Windows (and for more than just the 3 locations that you mentioned) or
    write a .bat script file to copy the files to a backup location, like to
    a network drive (that also gets backed up), that you then add to
    Scheduled Tasks. Since you would be moving the drive around, make sure
    the batch script checks for the availability of the folders and files
    before doing the copying. Robocopy comes with the Windows 2000 Resource
    Kit (and is definitely usable under Windows XP) to do the comparison of
    files so you only copy over the newer files to the backup location
    (xcopy has options, too, but they aren't as rich a set of parameters as
    available with Robocopy). Check with your IT dept. if they have a W2K
    ResKit CD sitting around.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, May 23, 2006
  7. divoch

    Vanguard Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >> "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>>I would like to keep a set of folders ( OE strore, My Docs, Favorits
    >>>and Address book) in synch between Desktop PC and Laptop via a
    >>>moveable external hard drive. Are there any free or low cost
    >>>solutions? Software like Windows My Briefcase , Synctoy or similar
    >>>work only between two folders
    >>> divoch
    >>>

    >> So why not simply put your OE message store, My Documents folder, and
    >> Favorites folder on the external hard drive? OE lets you specify
    >> where is its message store. My Documents can be moved by
    >> right-clicking on its desktop icon and changing its properties.
    >> Favorites can be moved and registry entries updated by using
    >> Microsoft's TweakUI.
    >>

    > It would not be a bad way if all I wanted was synchronisation. However
    > in that way I would have only one copy of everything and my intention
    > was to create also a backup - at the same time. In my approach,
    > if feasible, I would have more or less everything triplicated.
    > Also, it would be preferable if I did not have take with me a mobile
    > drive
    > when I am travelling with a Laptop.

    So use a USB flash drive (aka thumb drive). How much space do you need
    to store your files? Could be you could get a flash drive that is more
    than large enough to be toting your files around in your pocket. Then
    you just slide it in whatever host you are using at the time that points
    to the flash drive to find its files.

    Be aware that flash drives do wear out due to thin-oxide stress (and why
    some incorporate error-correction schemes to compensate for the gradual
    failures), plus writes will slow down over time. See
    http://snipurl.com/qv7l. So you will still want to run a backup program
    at periodic intervals to save copies to a more reliable long-term
    storage device.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, May 23, 2006
  8. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >>> "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> So why not simply put your OE message store, My Documents folder, and
    >>> Favorites folder on the external hard drive? OE lets you specify where
    >>> is its message store. My Documents can be moved by right-clicking on
    >>> its desktop icon and changing its properties. Favorites can be moved and
    >>> registry entries updated by using Microsoft's TweakUI.
    >>>

    >> It would not be a bad way if all I wanted was synchronisation. However
    >> in that way I would have only one copy of everything and my intention
    >> was to create also a backup - at the same time. In my approach,
    >> if feasible, I would have more or less everything triplicated.
    >> Also, it would be preferable if I did not have take with me a mobile
    >> drive
    >> when I am travelling with a Laptop.

    > So use a USB flash drive (aka thumb drive). How much space do you need to
    > store your files? Could be you could get a flash drive that is more than
    > large enough to be toting your files around in your pocket. Then you just
    > slide it in whatever host you are using at the time that points to the
    > flash drive to find its files.

    But that is the same problem, it is only a single copy on a common USB flash
    drive
    and nothing is backed up.
    divoch

    divoch, May 24, 2006
  9. divoch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:e502iq$fvn$,
    Vanguard spewed forth:
    > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>> In news:sLHcg.19796$,
    >>> divoch spewed forth:
    >>>
    >>> Before I had a VPN to my office, I used a program called Ghostfiles
    >>> to do this kind of thing - www.lowrieweb.com
    >>>
    >>> Also, Karen's Replicator might do the same -
    >>> http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
    >>>
    >>> You have to set up a sync between the desktop and the external, and
    >>> a sync between the laptop and the external.

    >> If those files on external are common to both, e.g. a single OE store
    >> folder on external can be synchronised with the desktop and laptop
    >> copies of the same folder on the desktop and laptop then that is what
    >> I am after.

    > Your problem is that while you synchronize files, like for My
    > Documents or Favorites, you cannot use file synchronization for the
    > *contents* of a file. The OE message store is a bunch of .dbx file
    > but how are you going to synchronize items *within* them to their
    > copies on the other host? If you just sync the files, you will lose
    > all e-mails within a .dbx file on one host when the .dbx file on the
    > other host is newer. You get the newer files. You don't get the
    > newer or missing items within the files. So export/import seems the
    > only method to do the per-item sync *within* the files. That's why I
    > suggested SHARING the files. You would be updating the same .dbx
    > files on each host. If you want backups, well, then use the Backup
    > program already included in Windows (and for more than just the 3
    > locations that you mentioned) or write a .bat script file to copy the
    > files to a backup location, like to a network drive (that also gets
    > backed up), that you then add to Scheduled Tasks. Since you would be
    > moving the drive around, make sure the batch script checks for the
    > availability of the folders and files before doing the copying. Robocopy
    > comes with the Windows 2000 Resource Kit (and is definitely
    > usable under Windows XP) to do the comparison of files so you only
    > copy over the newer files to the backup location (xcopy has options,
    > too, but they aren't as rich a set of parameters as available with
    > Robocopy). Check with your IT dept. if they have a W2K ResKit CD
    > sitting around.

    I would agree that the OE problem is the biggest issue. My suggestion for
    that would be leaving the messages on the server so the desktop and laptop
    can download the email.

    Toolman Tim, May 24, 2006
  10. divoch

    old man Guest

    Personally I use Backer, but you might have a problem with OE store if you
    are in the habit of using both PC's to download mail - I dont use OE so I'm
    not familiar with its method of storing individual mail - in which case you
    might need a seperate method of syncing OE

    old man, May 24, 2006
  11. divoch

    > In news:e502iq$fvn$,
    > Vanguard spewed forth:
    >> "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> If those files on external are common to both, e.g. a single OE store
    >>> folder on external can be synchronised with the desktop and laptop
    >>> copies of the same folder on the desktop and laptop then that is what
    >>> I am after.

    >> Your problem is that while you synchronize files, like for My
    >> Documents or Favorites, you cannot use file synchronization for the
    >> *contents* of a file. The OE message store is a bunch of .dbx file
    >> but how are you going to synchronize items *within* them to their
    >> copies on the other host? If you just sync the files, you will lose
    >> all e-mails within a .dbx file on one host when the .dbx file on the
    >> other host is newer. You get the newer files.

    With a little care this may in fact not be a problem. I would not normally
    use OE on both machines at the same time but one after another. So, if
    at the end of a session on one PC I could and would always sync
    the ext. hard drive and then other PC from the ext. hard drive
    it should be OK, I think. Question is: can any software do the sync
    for the OE store
    PC1 -> ext. hard drive -> PC2 and the next time
    PC2 -> ext. hard drive -> PC1
    ?
    (I could even restrict myself from making any changes to sync folders
    on the ext. hard drive if that helped)
    divoch

    divoch, May 24, 2006
  12. divoch

    Vanguard Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > With a little care this may in fact not be a problem. I would not
    > normally
    > use OE on both machines at the same time but one after another. So, if
    > at the end of a session on one PC I could and would always sync
    > the ext. hard drive and then other PC from the ext. hard drive
    > it should be OK, I think. Question is: can any software do the sync
    > for the OE store
    > PC1 -> ext. hard drive -> PC2 and the next time
    > PC2 -> ext. hard drive -> PC1
    > ?
    > (I could even restrict myself from making any changes to sync folders
    > on the ext. hard drive if that helped)

    You will synchronizing *files*. If you receive e-mails on PC1, its .dbx
    files get updated. You then "sync" them on PC2 which means the .dbx
    files on PC2 get replaced. You then receive new mails on PC2 which
    update the .dbx file. Then you "sync" them back onto PC1 which
    overwrites the .dbx files on PC1. If you NEVER update one host and then
    sync over it (which would copy the files from the other host that
    doesn't have those updates), you're okay with synchronizing on the
    files. The best way to ensure that would be to use your laptop at both
    home and work. Say you last updated your e-mails on your laptop while
    at home. You never forget your laptop (or the ext. drive) at home when
    you go to work? If your laptop dies (batteries go dead, software
    problems, or hardware failure), are you going to cease doing e-mail at
    work (and home) until your laptop gets fixed?

    I can't see that having to run some sync software will be much easier
    than using the File -> Export/Import menu. So far, no one else has
    jumped in to announce sync software that will automate the export/import
    function in OE. I'm not saying there isn't any such software. A simple
    Google search shows there is such software, like from
    http://www.sofotex.com/Outlook-Express-Sync-download_L26904.html. I
    didn't bother doing the hunting around in a Google search to see which
    ones are free. You can do that. You claim that you want backups yet
    you are actually *using* the files which means they are NOT backups (you
    don't touch your backups other than to create them and restore from them
    for data recovery). Backing up is easy and you probably already have
    the program to do it. Backing up and synchronization are not the same
    thing. Nothing prevents you from backing up the .dbx files that you put
    on the shared external hard drive, or the .dbx files in their current
    state on each host.

    Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.

    Vanguard, May 24, 2006
  13. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "divoch" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> With a little care this may in fact not be a problem. I would not
    >> normally
    >> use OE on both machines at the same time but one after another. So, if
    >> at the end of a session on one PC I could and would always sync
    >> the ext. hard drive and then other PC from the ext. hard drive
    >> it should be OK, I think. Question is: can any software do the sync
    >> for the OE store
    >> PC1 -> ext. hard drive -> PC2 and the next time
    >> PC2 -> ext. hard drive -> PC1
    >> ?
    >> (I could even restrict myself from making any changes to sync folders
    >> on the ext. hard drive if that helped)

    > You will synchronizing *files*. If you receive e-mails on PC1, its .dbx
    > files get updated. You then "sync" them on PC2 which means the .dbx files
    > on PC2 get replaced. You then receive new mails on PC2 which update the
    > .dbx file. Then you "sync" them back onto PC1 which overwrites the .dbx
    > files on PC1. If you NEVER update one host and then sync over it (which
    > would copy the files from the other host that doesn't have those updates),
    > you're okay with synchronizing on the files. The best way to ensure that
    > would be to use your laptop at both home and work. Say you last updated
    > your e-mails on your laptop while at home. You never forget your laptop
    > (or the ext. drive) at home when you go to work? If your laptop dies
    > (batteries go dead, software problems, or hardware failure), are you going
    > to cease doing e-mail at work (and home) until your laptop gets fixed?
    >
    > I can't see that having to run some sync software will be much easier than
    > using the File -> Export/Import menu. So far, no one else has jumped in
    > to announce sync software that will automate the export/import function in
    > OE. I'm not saying there isn't any such software. A simple Google search
    > shows there is such software, like from
    > http://www.sofotex.com/Outlook-Express-Sync-download_L26904.html. I
    > didn't bother doing the hunting around in a Google search to see which
    > ones are free. You can do that. You claim that you want backups yet you
    > are actually *using* the files which means they are NOT backups (you don't
    > touch your backups other than to create them and restore from them for
    > data recovery). Backing up is easy and you probably already have the
    > program to do it. Backing up and synchronization are not the same thing.
    > Nothing prevents you from backing up the .dbx files that you put on the
    > shared external hard drive, or the .dbx files in their current state on
    > each host.

    Sync software has an attraction in that I should be able, at least in
    theory,
    to synchronise all the important folders in one go, i.e Favorits, My
    Documents,
    Address Book and the dreaded OE store folder. For a simple case of
    just one PC and an ext. hard drive it essentially works even when using
    Microsoft XP Briefcase. When the changes are only done on that PC and
    synchronisation is just one way, i.e. to the ext. hard drive, it is in
    effect also
    a simple and quick data backup. It can be done several times a day and so
    this type of backup is never too much out of date. It becomes
    somewhat more complicated if I want to have essentially the same set of data
    also on the laptop and keep it in sync with the main PC
    Yes, I could get out of sync, even if I had a good method (which I still do
    not
    have) for the three-way sync, but because both desktop and laptop are not
    connected with work and stay mostly at home it is less of the problem. When
    I travel with the laptop then no one will be using my account on my PC so
    things are not going to get out of step easily, if I am careful, of course.

    What I have not established yet is whether I can sync ext. hard drive
    folders
    and files with those previously changed on the desktop and THEN sync those
    on the laptop with those on the ext. hard drive (that have been just synced
    with those on the desktop the previously synced files)

    divoch

    divoch, May 24, 2006
  14. divoch

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:ps5dg.20951$z%,
    divoch spewed forth:
> [...]

    > somewhat more complicated if I want to have essentially the same set
    > of data also on the laptop and keep it in sync with the main PC
    > Yes, I could get out of sync, even if I had a good method (which I
    > still do not
    > have) for the three-way sync, but because both desktop and laptop are
    > not connected with work and stay mostly at home it is less of the
    > problem. When I travel with the laptop then no one will be using my
    > account on my PC so things are not going to get out of step easily,
    > if I am careful, of course.
    > What I have not established yet is whether I can sync ext. hard drive
    > folders
    > and files with those previously changed on the desktop and THEN sync
    > those on the laptop with those on the ext. hard drive (that have been
    > just synced with those on the desktop the previously synced files)

    I told you that YES, if you use proper synchronizing software, you can do
    the three way - laptop to external, desktop to external. What is your
    problem? DOWNLOAD and try the software that has been suggested. Geez,
    Louise...

    Toolman Tim, May 25, 2006
  15. divoch

    > I told you that YES, if you use proper synchronizing software, you can do
    > the three way - laptop to external, desktop to external. What is your
    > problem? DOWNLOAD and try the software that has been suggested. Geez,
    > Louise...

    Sorry, but I had impression from what was said that the sync of OE store
    between
    desktop and laptop via USB hard drive would be a problem even if I was
    careful
    not to make changes in both desktop and laptop before sync. If not I shall
    give it
    a try
    divoch

    divoch, May 25, 2006
  16. divoch

    Vanguard Guest

    "divoch" <> wrote in message

    > Sync software has an attraction in that I should be able, at least in
    > theory,
    > to synchronise all the important folders in one go, i.e Favorits, My
    > Documents,
    > Address Book and the dreaded OE store folder. For a simple case of
    > just one PC and an ext. hard drive it essentially works even when
    > using
    > Microsoft XP Briefcase. When the changes are only done on that PC and
    > synchronisation is just one way, i.e. to the ext. hard drive, it is in
    > effect also
    > a simple and quick data backup. ...

    And what are you going to use for backup copies if the synchronization
    causes corruption of your files (which can then get passed to the other
    files)? You don't have any backups if you are just using
    synchronization.

    You've already been told how to find sync software.

    Vanguard, May 25, 2006
  17. divoch

    divoch Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "divoch" <> wrote in message

    >>When the changes are only done on that PC and
    >> synchronisation is just one way, i.e. to the ext. hard drive, it is in
    >> effect also
    >> a simple and quick data backup. ...

    > And what are you going to use for backup copies if the synchronization
    > causes corruption of your files (which can then get passed to the other
    > files)? You don't have any backups if you are just using synchronization.

    Hmm, that is a good point. I did not think this through too well. It seems
    that
    a separate backup has it's place after all. Pity that for some
    reason Win XP backup does not offer me the option to store to the USB drive.
    I will have to use something else for that.
    divoch

    divoch, May 25, 2006