    etc.

    Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

    Cheers

    dylan, Feb 21, 2005

  2. dylan

    Larry Guest

    In article <cvc8uh$2m9$>, says...
    > There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
    > including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
    > etc.
    >
    > Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?
    >
    > Cheers

    Avoid the new SONY unless you already own some Memory stick pro.

    Damn shame they didn't make it with a cf-slot.

    If people "stay away in hoards" perhaps Sony will get a clue (not likely but
    possible)

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 21, 2005

  3. dylan

    Harvey Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote in message
    > There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
    > including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
    > etc.
    >
    > Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?
    >
    > Cheers

    Panasonic FZ20 has fast lens, tremendous anti-shake zoom and 97% approval
    rating by owners.

    Harvey, Feb 21, 2005
  4. On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:16:59 -0000, "dylan" <> wrote:

    >There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
    >including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
    >etc.
    >
    >Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

    I've got a Minolta Z10 which I'm happy with, though if I was starting
    again I'd probably splash out the extra for the Z3. Is the Z5 actually
    available yet?

    --
    Stephen Poley

    Stephen Poley, Feb 21, 2005
  5. dylan wrote:
    > There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
    > including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5
    > etc etc.
    >
    > Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

    After buying and returning a Minolta A2 last year, it's now a brand I
    would avoid.

    If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
    Nikon5700 is out.

    The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
    The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.

    We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 21, 2005
  6. dylan

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    > If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
    > Nikon5700 is out.
    >
    > The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
    > The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.
    >
    > We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.

    Ditto - almost; I own an FZ10 (bought before the 20 came out; I would've
    bought a 20 had it been available) and am very happy with it.

    pete
    --
    "Send lawyers, guns and money...."

    Pete Fenelon, Feb 21, 2005
  7. In article <>, Pete Fenelon <>
    wrote:

    > David J Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    > wrote:
    > > If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
    > > Nikon5700 is out.
    > >
    > > The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
    > > The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.
    > >
    > > We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.
    > >

    > Ditto - almost; I own an FZ10 (bought before the 20 came out; I would've
    > bought a 20 had it been available) and am very happy with it.
    >
    > pete

    I like my FZ20! The proprietary battery life is good, but you might
    want to buy a spare if you shoot outside a lot.

    Come to think, a 12V car adaptor charger would be handy, but Panasonic
    don't seem to sell one.

    richard schumacher, Feb 21, 2005
  8. dylan

    Bill Rude Guest

    Bill Rude, Feb 21, 2005
  9. dylan

    Bill Rude Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:59:40 GMT, "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    >We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.

    Same here, the Panasonic FZ20 is working well for me also.

    Bill Rude, Feb 21, 2005
  10. dylan

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 12:38:21 -0600, richard schumacher <>
    > wrote:
    > >Come to think, a 12V car adaptor charger would be handy, but Panasonic
    > >don't seem to sell one.

    > Panasonic doesn't but I bought an AC/DC charger from here:
    > http://www.digital-camera-battery.net/panasonic-camera-batteries/CGR-S002.htm
    >
    > Typical Chinese quality but it works and does what it's supposed to do.

    I did away with the problem of various 12 volt adaptors by putting a 500 watt
    inverter in my truck.

    Considering how low the draw is through the various charging devices I
    thought it would be better to just attach a plug strip to the inverter and
    plug all the chargers into it.

    So far it has worked out just fine.

    The inverter was bought "on sale" at Sears for $39.99 and will probably last
    longer than the truck.

    Its a solution I have recommended to several people, and its working for them
    too.
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 21, 2005
  11. dylan

    Bill Rude Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:47:28 -0500, Larry <> wrote:

    >I did away with the problem of various 12 volt adaptors by putting a 500 watt
    >inverter in my truck.

    I've got a 600W inverter in my truck but I can't always be sure I'll be with my
    truck on trips, might be with other people or on the motorcycle, that's why
    I went with the AC/DC kit.

    Bill Rude, Feb 21, 2005
  12. dylan

    dylan Guest

    "Stephen Poley" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 09:16:59 -0000, "dylan" <> wrote:
    >
    >>There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
    >>including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5 etc
    >>etc.
    >>
    >>Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

    > I've got a Minolta Z10 which I'm happy with, though if I was starting
    > again I'd probably splash out the extra for the Z3. Is the Z5 actually
    > available yet?
    >
    > --
    > Stephen Poley

    The Z5 is in the shops in the UK.

    Cheers

    dylan, Feb 21, 2005
  13. dylan

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 14:47:28 -0500, Larry <> wrote:
    >
    > >I did away with the problem of various 12 volt adaptors by putting a 500 watt
    > >inverter in my truck.

    > I've got a 600W inverter in my truck but I can't always be sure I'll be with my
    > truck on trips, might be with other people or on the motorcycle, that's why
    > I went with the AC/DC kit.

    Good point! Its NOT a fix for everyone.

    I dont "bike" anymore (gettin' too old), and where I use my camera I usually
    have acsess to either my truck or line current. (or a few spare batteries)

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    Larry, Feb 21, 2005
  14. dylan

    dylan Guest

    wrote in message news:0soSd.20014$...
    > dylan wrote:
    >> There are now a multitude of these large zoom cameras on the market,
    >> including Canon S1 IS, Nikon 5700, Panasonic FZ20, Konica Minolta Z5
    >> etc etc.
    >>
    >> Any recommendations or one's to avoid ?

    > After buying and returning a Minolta A2 last year, it's now a brand I
    > would avoid.
    >
    > If you want long zoom, image stabilisation is very helpful, so the
    > Nikon5700 is out.
    >
    > The Canon S1 IS is 3MP and takes CF cards and AA batteries.
    > The Panasonic is 5MP, takes SD cards, and lithium-ion batteries.
    >
    > We bought a Panasonic FZ20 and have been very pleased with it.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Thanks David,

    I took a look at Steve's digicam review and notice some CA on some shots, ie
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20/samples/p1010068.jpg
    How do you find the results ?

    Cheers

    dylan, Feb 25, 2005
  15. dylan wrote:
    []
    > Thanks David,
    >
    > I took a look at Steve's digicam review and notice some CA on some
    > shots, ie
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/fz20/samples/p1010068.jpg
    > How do you find the results ?
    >
    > Cheers

    It's not an issue when viewing on the screen or viewing prints at normal
    viewing distances. Look closely enough at any image and you may see
    imperfections. If the CA/PF is bothersome in a particular image, we would
    use the chromatic aberration reduction tool in Paint Shop Pro.

    Why not pop down to your local camera store and try the camera for
    yourself?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 25, 2005
  16. dylan

    dylan Guest

    > It's not an issue when viewing on the screen or viewing prints at normal
    > viewing distances. Look closely enough at any image and you may see
    > imperfections. If the CA/PF is bothersome in a particular image, we would
    > use the chromatic aberration reduction tool in Paint Shop Pro.
    >
    > Why not pop down to your local camera store and try the camera for
    > yourself?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Thanks.

    I'll try them in the store when I have narrowed down the choices, in the
    mean time it's good to get user feedback.

    dylan, Feb 25, 2005