    Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
    where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks
    dnw

    don ward, Jul 22, 2006

  2. don ward

    Old Gringo Guest

    http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere

    Old Gringo, Jul 22, 2006

  3. "don ward" <> wrote in message
    > Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
    > acting up and crashing.
    > Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
    > Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
    > where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks

    What motherboard? Well, more importantly, what type of BIOS? Once you know
    the manufacturer you can lookup what the three short beeps error code means.
    It might mean bad memory or graphics card or whatever.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 22, 2006
  4. don ward

    don ward Guest

    Re: 3 short beeps when power up/old gringo

    In article <qYjwg.71128$>,
    Old Gringo <> wrote:

    > Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
    > > Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
    > > acting up and crashing.
    > > Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
    > > Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
    > > where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks
    > > dnw

    > http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

    Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant
    memory card....

    dnw

    don ward, Jul 22, 2006
  5. don ward

    Old Gringo Guest

    Re: 3 short beeps when power up/old gringo

    Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
    > In article <qYjwg.71128$>,
    > Old Gringo <> wrote:
    >
    >> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
    >>> Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
    >>> acting up and crashing.
    >>> Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
    >>> Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
    >>> where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks
    >>> dnw

    >> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

    > Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant
    > memory card....
    >
    > dnw

    You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the
    address bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it
    brought up. Cool browser if you haven't tried it.

    Old Gringo, Jul 22, 2006
  6. don ward

    Plato Guest

    don ward wrote:

    > Got a pentium 4 home assembled computer thats been working then started
    > acting up and crashing.
    > Now when i push power on it give me 3 short beeps and wont boot
    > Any suggesions what might have decided to take a dump??
    > where do i start trouble shooting?? many thanks

    In general, a beeping PC trying to POST is almost always a mis-seated
    video card or mis-seated ram or ram that has gone bad. The good news is
    its almost never a processor problem as the processor has to be working
    in order to give you beeps. If you've noticed on modern motherboards the
    AGP card slot has a lock on it to
    keep the card in place. When you look at an AGP video card and compare
    it to a PCI video card you will see how close the contacts are on the
    AGP compared to the PCI.

    A bad video card may also result in beeps at POST.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 23, 2006
  7. don ward

    Martik Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:
    >> In article <qYjwg.71128$>,
    >> Old Gringo <> wrote:

    >>> http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosb.htm

    >> Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant memory
    >> card.... dnw

    > You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the address
    > bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought up. Cool
    > browser if you haven't tried it.
    >> http://www.mozilla.com/

    Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
    and restored sessions to work properly.

    Martik, Jul 24, 2006
  8. don ward

    Old Gringo Guest

    Without Any Hesitation, Martik Wrote The Following:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:

    >>> Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant memory
    >>> card.... dnw

    >> You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the address
    >> bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought up. Cool
    >> browser if you haven't tried it.
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/

    > Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
    > and restored sessions to work properly.

    ROTFLMAO LWGAS
    Sun 23 July 2006, 10:27 PM --500 (Central Standard Time) Will it
    do that?

    Old Gringo, Jul 24, 2006
  9. don ward

    Old Gringo Guest

    Re: 3 short beeps when power up/old gringo

    Without Any Hesitation, Martik Wrote The Following:
    > "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    >> Without Any Hesitation, don ward Wrote The Following:

    >>> Great info many thanks thats what it was a bad intermittant memory
    >>> card.... dnw

    >> You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the address
    >> bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought up. Cool
    >> browser if you haven't tried it.
    >>> http://www.mozilla.com/

    > Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
    > and restored sessions to work properly.

    PS: Just read your headers, what about the news reader in opera?

    Old Gringo, Jul 24, 2006
  10. don ward

    Martik Guest

    "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message
    > Without Any Hesitation, Martik Wrote The Following:
    >> "Old Gringo" <> wrote in message

    >>> You are more than welcome. Firefox is my default browser, in the
    >>> address bar I typed in "3 short beeps" and that is the page it brought
    >>> up. Cool browser if you haven't tried it.

    >> Opera is better and faster - doesn't need unreliable extensions for tabs
    >> and restored sessions to work properly.

    > PS: Just read your headers, what about the news reader in opera?

    Huh?

    Cannot use tbird it does not sort collapsed threads properly.

    Martik, Jul 24, 2006