    This blog talks about reasons that encryption is overrated. Curious
    to hear people's thoughts -- agree? disagree? Full post is here:
    http://bit.ly/EokrT
    LJMecca, Jun 10, 2009

  2. On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 08:34:47 -0700 (PDT), LJMecca wrote:

    > This blog talks about reasons that encryption is overrated. Curious
    > to hear people's thoughts -- agree? disagree?

    Frankly, with dentistry as expensive as yours, you simply can't afford
    to let The Man stamp his jackboot down on your face, and so it is that
    when faced with the inquiry "did Lee Harvey Oswald act alone?", you find
    yourself thinking: "God, I mean ... do any of us? Like, he had to have
    people, you know? At least an agent and a publicist."
    --
    A fireside chat not with Ari!
    http://tr.im/holj
    ♥Ari♥, Jun 10, 2009

  3. LJMecca

    nemo_outis Guest

    Randy Yates <> wrote in news::

    > However, I'm fairly certain the "future processing power" argument is
    > moot. Encryption systems evolve over time. E.g., we no longer use 32-bit
    > keys. And the growth of processing power is so slow that encryption
    > systems have ample time to evolve.

    I wouldn't get too worried about current or future processing power
    cracking an encryption algorithm. No, the worries are an algorithmic
    breaktrough (e.g., fast factoring) or quantum computing (and quantum
    computing is no big deal - effectively, it just halves the bit strength).

    To put things in perspective there are (very, very roughly) about 10^80
    atoms in the universe - call it 2^266. AES-256 (a common modern crypto
    algorithm) has a strength (against brute force) of about 2^256. IOW,
    broadly comparable to the number of atoms in the universe (let's not sweat
    a mere 2^10 difference on a "soft" number :)

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jun 11, 2009