3 questions from Mac user

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Al Cunniff, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Al Cunniff

    Al Cunniff Guest

    I'm a Mac user looking for a 3MP digital camera with decent
    macro ability. A recent Consumer Reports magazine suggested
    sticking with Sony, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic or Fuji, based
    on repair records.

    I've checked out Sony's DSC-P72 as meeting all my criteria--
    it even has a QuickTime movie mode with sound.

    Two questions:

    1) Is there another camera in the same price range (or lower)
    that I should consider? (Remember I'd like it to have
    reasinable macros ability--4" or so is ok.)

    2) Is the movie mode on these digital cameras really useful?

    3) The DSC-P72 has an MPEG Vx movie mode, while other cameras
    I've seen have the QuickTime AVI mode. As far as I know, Macs
    aren't able to view AVIs, so should I avoid an AVI-mode camera?

    Thanks,
    -Al
    Al Cunniff, Nov 4, 2003

  2. Al Cunniff

    FOR7b Guest

    http://www.dpreview.com

    FOR7b, Nov 4, 2003

  3. Al Cunniff

    G. Louie Guest

    Don't know about the Sony, I use a Canon A70. It's macro is not very
    close. It's AVI movie mode is pretty good, though, and reads fine with all
    my Mac's Quicktime players. I like the movie mode, shooting at 320x240.
    Sometimes, having 3 minutes of a little movie with sound is nice. Also,
    when light is too low for a good still shot (without flash), you can take
    a movie and the dim images won't be quite so objectionable.

    G. Louie, Nov 4, 2003
  4. Al Cunniff

    Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:23:29 -0500, Al Cunniff <>
    wrote:

    >I'm a Mac user looking for a 3MP digital camera with decent
    >macro ability. A recent Consumer Reports magazine suggested
    >sticking with Sony, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic or Fuji, based
    >on repair records.
    >
    >I've checked out Sony's DSC-P72 as meeting all my criteria--
    >it even has a QuickTime movie mode with sound.
    >
    >Two questions:
    >
    >1) Is there another camera in the same price range (or lower)
    >that I should consider? (Remember I'd like it to have
    >reasinable macros ability--4" or so is ok.)
    >
    >2) Is the movie mode on these digital cameras really useful?
    >
    >3) The DSC-P72 has an MPEG Vx movie mode, while other cameras
    >I've seen have the QuickTime AVI mode. As far as I know, Macs
    >aren't able to view AVIs, so should I avoid an AVI-mode camera?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >-Al

    Sorry to bugger your thrwad, but I'm the reverse of you. I'm a Sony
    owner who wants to buy a MAC. I currety own A F-707, a V1, and I will
    buy the F828 when it hits the street.

    I'm curious to know how Mac handles digital Imaging? Isit pretty
    straight forward? Is it easier then PC?

    I'm torn btween a 17" power book and the G5. I already have Two PC
    Desktops and a Dell 8200.
    --
    Like a game of pick up stick played by fucking lunatics
    , Nov 5, 2003
  5. Al Cunniff

    George Kerby Guest

    On 11/5/03 11:49 AM, in article ,
    "" <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:23:29 -0500, Al Cunniff <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I'm a Mac user looking for a 3MP digital camera with decent
    >> macro ability. A recent Consumer Reports magazine suggested
    >> sticking with Sony, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic or Fuji, based
    >> on repair records.
    >>
    >> I've checked out Sony's DSC-P72 as meeting all my criteria--
    >> it even has a QuickTime movie mode with sound.
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >>
    >> 1) Is there another camera in the same price range (or lower)
    >> that I should consider? (Remember I'd like it to have
    >> reasinable macros ability--4" or so is ok.)
    >>
    >> 2) Is the movie mode on these digital cameras really useful?
    >>
    >> 3) The DSC-P72 has an MPEG Vx movie mode, while other cameras
    >> I've seen have the QuickTime AVI mode. As far as I know, Macs
    >> aren't able to view AVIs, so should I avoid an AVI-mode camera?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> -Al

    > Sorry to bugger your thrwad, but I'm the reverse of you. I'm a Sony
    > owner who wants to buy a MAC. I currety own A F-707, a V1, and I will
    > buy the F828 when it hits the street.
    >
    > I'm curious to know how Mac handles digital Imaging? Isit pretty
    > straight forward? Is it easier then PC?

    It's no secret that Mac was developed for imaging/publication. They made
    Adobe rich and image processing has never been the same. MAC all the way!!!

    > I'm torn btween a 17" power book and the G5. I already have Two PC
    > Desktops and a Dell 8200.

    Depends if you want to get around or not. The G5 with a CRT high-end monitor
    is the best for critical color work. But if you want to travel and do your
    photography on the road the PowerBook is the ticket. At home you can hook up
    a CRT or LCD (Apple Cinema) monitor and a USB2 or a FireWire 2 external hard
    drive and you're in business. Either way, the advantages of the Mac are
    overwhelming. Go for it!

    George Kerby, Nov 6, 2003
  6. In article <>,
    Al Cunniff <> wrote:

    > I'm a Mac user looking for a 3MP digital camera with decent
    > macro ability. A recent Consumer Reports magazine suggested
    > sticking with Sony, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic or Fuji, based
    > on repair records.
    >
    > I've checked out Sony's DSC-P72 as meeting all my criteria--
    > it even has a QuickTime movie mode with sound.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > 1) Is there another camera in the same price range (or lower)
    > that I should consider? (Remember I'd like it to have
    > reasinable macros ability--4" or so is ok.)
    >
    > 2) Is the movie mode on these digital cameras really useful?
    >
    > 3) The DSC-P72 has an MPEG Vx movie mode, while other cameras
    > I've seen have the QuickTime AVI mode. As far as I know, Macs
    > aren't able to view AVIs, so should I avoid an AVI-mode camera?

    That's three questions, Al.

    This past few months, the introductions of new models by all the
    manufacturers makes one's head spin.

    The DSC-P72 is a pocketable 3 MPixel 3X zoom. A ton of those out there.

    See what the best review sites show:
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/

    Compare features there, these sites have exhaustive reviews, but perhaps
    not every camera on the market, and they seem to have a few biases.
    Overall, their opinions are based on real tests, so they carry a lot of
    weight.

    1) Take a look at the Olympus C-4000 Zoom. It has particularly good
    macro ability. 4 MPix with excellent auto focus/exposure. IMHO, this is
    the real discrimating factor with this class of camera - how reliable
    and accurate are the auto functions. I don't mean will they work most of
    the time under controlled conditions, but will they work 98& of the time
    in actual use.

    I am an Olympus fan, and a longtime Mac user.

    2) I have very little use for the movie mode on my digicams. If you have
    a real need for video, by a videocam, even a cheap one will outperform
    the digicams greatly.

    3) Don't know. The Olympus cameras use Quicktime, I thought most of them
    did.

    The other question in this thread was Mac related. I find the new IPhoto
    to be very good as a photoalbum, it will do basic crops, adjust
    brightness/contrast, and print shots. If you buy Photoshop Elements 2,
    you will have great capability to edit photos. For most uses, Iphoto is
    enough.

    I also recommend GraphicConverter, see:
    http://www.lemkesoft.de/en/index.htm

    When you make a choice, check the prices at dbuys.com, buydig.com and
    newegg.com. The first two have somewhat shady practices regarding
    selling the memory and other accessories at inflated prices. Their
    camera prices are the best. Overall, buying at B&H Photo
    www.bhphotovideo.com offers good service, decent prices, and they are
    100% reputable. Newegg is the best for memory, card readers, and other
    accessories.

    And I think the 17" PowerBook is the nicest laptop ever made...

    --
    cheers,

    Jerry

    My email address is jerry dot cupples at verizon dot net
    Jerry Cupples, Nov 6, 2003