    Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or
    is it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
    Anyone else experience this annoyance?

    Wombus, Feb 7, 2006

  2. Wombus

    Krazy Bob Guest

    "Wombus" <> wrote in message
    news:ds9l6o$11c$...
    > My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay to
    > my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4 hours
    > later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a number of
    > occasions intermittently
    > It is darn annoying and makes this medium not worth using.
    > Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or is
    > it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
    > Anyone else experience this annoyance?

    getting the same at the moment with telecom to telecom, maybe call 777 and
    ask the friendly help desk whats up?

    Krazy Bob, Feb 7, 2006

  3. Wombus

    XPD Guest

    "Wombus" <> wrote in message
    > My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay to
    > my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4 hours
    > later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a number of
    > occasions intermittently
    > It is darn annoying and makes this medium not worth using.
    > Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or is
    > it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
    > Anyone else experience this annoyance?

    Been having similar issues here as well between work vodafone phones....
    even getting messages saying Ive missed calls when my phone hasnt even rung
    and Im in a full coverage area. Really annoying, especially when Im
    expecting calls from suppliers/clients.

    XPD, Feb 7, 2006
  4. Wombus

    Peter Guest

    Wombus wrote:
    > My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay to
    > my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4 hours
    > later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a number of
    > occasions intermittently
    > It is darn annoying and makes this medium not worth using.
    > Could the problem be with my phone which is a Sony Ericson J200??... or
    > is it possible Vodaphoe are the culprit.
    > Anyone else experience this annoyance?

    Yes, sending from one Vodafone to another. Sometimes goes through
    instantly, but can be delayed by a couple of hours. Both phones in good
    reception areas, and sending phone says message sent straight away.

    Peter

    Peter, Feb 7, 2006
  5. Wombus

    Peter Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > Been having similar issues here as well between work vodafone phones....
    > even getting messages saying Ive missed calls when my phone hasnt even
    > rung and Im in a full coverage area. Really annoying, especially when Im
    > expecting calls from suppliers/clients.

    Had same problem with ye olde 025 analog some time back. If there is
    congestion on the local cell site, it probably flicks the call to voice
    mail. This is why it is probably supplied as a standard service.

    Peter, Feb 7, 2006
  6. Wombus

    Enkidu Guest

    Wombus wrote:

    > My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay
    > to my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4
    > hours later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a
    > number of occasions intermittently

    You do realise how the system works, don't you? When you send a message
    it is translated into a series of bleeps. These go to Vodafone where
    they are recorded on tape, one input tape per phone. Someone goes around
    and listens to the tapes and then if something has been recorded on it,
    they listen to the sounds and then go to the output tape for the
    recipient's phone and play a flute into the tape. Then the operator
    presses play on the tape and the message is sent to the recipients phone.

    This explains why there is sometimes a delay (when the operator forgets
    to read a tape). And it explains why there are spelling mistakes - not
    all are made by the sender.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 8, 2006
  7. On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 20:14:24 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > Wombus wrote:
    >>
    >> My wife sends me two or three text messages from her Vodaphone prepay
    >> to my Vodaphone Prepay, and i don't receive the messages until 3 or 4
    >> hours later... (they all arrive together). This has happened on a
    >> number of occasions intermittently
    >>

    > You do realise how the system works, don't you? When you send a message
    > it is translated into a series of bleeps. These go to Vodafone where
    > they are recorded on tape, one input tape per phone. Someone goes around
    > and listens to the tapes and then if something has been recorded on it,
    > they listen to the sounds and then go to the output tape for the
    > recipient's phone and play a flute into the tape. Then the operator
    > presses play on the tape and the message is sent to the recipients phone.
    >
    > This explains why there is sometimes a delay (when the operator forgets
    > to read a tape). And it explains why there are spelling mistakes - not
    > all are made by the sender.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    LOL! Nice!

    BTW, Cliff, Have you seen the first two episodes of the new Channel 4 (UK)
    comedy "The IT Crowd"?

    It's *very* funny.

    (Unfortunately the episodes are being encoded into WMF using version 9
    codec, and so they don't play on non M$ platforms.) I'll be sending an
    email off to them pointing that out, and *hopefully* they'll change the
    format to something *nix friendly.

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken

    --
    Adam L. Penenberg: "The next time Bill G. promises to make software that is
    so fundamentally secure that customers never have to worry about it, ask him

    Heisse Kapiti Trinken, Feb 8, 2006