3 networked comps, 3 different internet speeds

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 29, 2004.

  1. How is it that the reported internet speeds of these can be so different on the
    same connection? I know these tests are not 100% accurate, but they were
    consistant on each computer. Plus this is consistant with the fact that
    download rates in the dialog boxes varies greatly from computer to computer on
    the same exact file download.

    Main gateway computer:
    851/494

    Client computers:
    3004/488
    940/399

    I've heard that LinkSys equipment is not good for internet use, and that's what
    I use except for the fast computer. That has an onboard Realtek NIC.

    I've never heard of processor speed having anything to do with it, but it does
    increase as the processor does...

    851/494 (P2 233mhz Win98se)
    940/399 (P3 500mhz Win98se)
    3004/488 (P4 2.4ghz WinXP)

    Any ideas?

    Matthew Superstar Swass, Sep 29, 2004

  2. Matthew Superstar Swass

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    (Matthew Superstar Swass) wrote in

    > I've heard that LinkSys equipment is not good for internet use, and
    > that's what I use except for the fast computer. That has an onboard
    > Realtek NIC.

    Bullshit. I and many of my colleges have used Linksys hardware for our
    home networks for years without any trouble.

    > 851/494 (P2 233mhz Win98se)
    > 940/399 (P3 500mhz Win98se)
    > 3004/488 (P4 2.4ghz WinXP)

    If this was something similar to broadbandreports.com's Java based speed
    tests, I think it sounds right. Java applets can require a lot of CPU
    usage, and if the machines themselves have other problems it can show up
    here. Also, you may want to use broadbandreports.com's tools to tweak your
    98 machines for their MTU, MSS, and other important networking values.

    --
    website: http://www.demonlag.com
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk

    DeMoN LaG, Sep 29, 2004