    Thanks for any suggestions.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com
    Steve Freides, Jan 11, 2005

  2. Steve Freides

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Steve Freides" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    | Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:
    |
    | *---------------*
    |
    | My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
    | animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
    | that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
    | interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
    | What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
    | $15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.
    |
    | *---------------*
    |
    | Part of my friend's concern is to find something that will run
    | acceptably on a garden variety PC without requiring a workstation.
    |
    | Thanks for any suggestions.

    You might try posting this question in a different news group - perhaps
    something 'graphics' and/or 'rendering' related. Personally, I'm about as
    artistic as a rock, so I know nothing about this type of software <g>

    Be forewarned though that many of the sites in the 'graphic' realm are
    inundated with ads and downloads of material that may be considered
    inappropriate for minors...
    Toolman Tim, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Thanks - having seen no reply to this here thus far, I did just that
    earlier this afternoon, although whether or not I got the right group
    remains to be seen.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Steve Freides, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Steve Freides

    Guest

    On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:21:05 -0500, "Steve Freides"
    <> wrote:

    |> My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
    |> animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
    |> that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
    |> interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
    |> What's the next level up?

    eye - all about computer graphics - downloads, fonts, links, art!
    http://eye.box.sk/index.php

    --
    , Jan 12, 2005
  5. Steve Freides

    lsj7 Guest

    Steve Freides wrote:
    > Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:
    >
    > *---------------*
    >
    > My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
    > animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
    > that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
    > interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
    > What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
    > $15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.

    ask at newsgroup
    alt.comp.freeware

    --

    Cherish, therefore, the spirit of our people, and keep alive their
    attention. .If once they become inattentive to the public affairs, you

    _________Jefferson to Carrington 1787

    lsj7
    lsj7, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Steve Freides

    lafftrax Guest

    lsj7 wrote:

    > Steve Freides wrote:
    >
    >>Posting a question for a friend who doesn't use newsgroups:
    >>
    >>*---------------*
    >>
    >>My son's 3-D rendering program is called blender. He says it's a 3-D
    >>animation engine that then has a rendering portion. He makes torches
    >>that ignite and Christmas trees, etc. He seems to be especially
    >>interested in how light reflects off of different surface textures.
    >>What's the next level up? This program is in two versions: free and
    >>$15.00. I'm sure there's some pretty good stuff out there by now.

    > ask at newsgroup
    > alt.comp.freeware

    Google for HDRShop or try searching the tutorial sections at
    http://www.daz3d.com/
    http://www.renderosity.com/
    they also have links to several other sites with tutes & freebie
    programs that will do this
    lafftrax, Jan 14, 2005