3 Computers Gone Belly-up - Why?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DiddyS400, Nov 29, 2005.

  1. DiddyS400

    DiddyS400 Guest

    I sold a used computer to a friend (big mistake). It was working fine when
    he had it, but after a few weeks it kept freezing - only way out was to
    reboot and then it would freeze again.

    I had it back and removed or swapped every component I could to find the
    culprit. The only things not changed were the mobo, cpu and psu. Still
    freezing.

    I lent him another computer (also working fine). This one then started
    freezing when booting up. If it did boot-up it ran very slowly.

    I gave him computer number 3 and made sure it was running perfectly when he
    had it. A couple of weeks later it too has started freezing after 30
    minutes. Pressing the reset button re-boots it, but it immediately freezes
    again just like the first one. Switching off at the wall socket for a few
    minutes and then re-booting, it will freeze after 15-20 minutes.

    They all had different mobos and processor (Pentium 166 up to Athlon 1.4).

    The only things in common are:-

    1. All used the same monitor.

    2. All connected to the mains electricity supply at my friend's house.

    3. All virus free when delivered and running Norton SystemWorks.

    Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot this nightmare please?

    Could it be a problem with the mains electrics?

    Could the monitor have any effect on the computers - although I don't see
    how?

    Sorry it's a long story. I'd be very grateful for any help with this.

    TIA,

    Derek.

    DiddyS400, Nov 29, 2005

  2. DiddyS400

    tehball Guest

    DiddyS400 wrote:
    > I sold a used computer to a friend (big mistake). It was working fine when
    > he had it, but after a few weeks it kept freezing - only way out was to
    > reboot and then it would freeze again.
    >

    > I had it back and removed or swapped every component I could to find the
    > culprit. The only things not changed were the mobo, cpu and psu. Still
    > freezing.
    >

    > I lent him another computer (also working fine). This one then started
    > freezing when booting up. If it did boot-up it ran very slowly.
    >

    > I gave him computer number 3 and made sure it was running perfectly when he
    > had it. A couple of weeks later it too has started freezing after 30
    > minutes. Pressing the reset button re-boots it, but it immediately freezes
    > again just like the first one. Switching off at the wall socket for a few
    > minutes and then re-booting, it will freeze after 15-20 minutes.
    >

    > They all had different mobos and processor (Pentium 166 up to Athlon 1.4).
    >

    > The only things in common are:-
    >
    > 1. All used the same monitor.
    >
    > 2. All connected to the mains electricity supply at my friend's house.
    >
    > 3. All virus free when delivered and running Norton SystemWorks.
    >

    > Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot this nightmare please?
    >
    > Could it be a problem with the mains electrics?
    >
    > Could the monitor have any effect on the computers - although I don't see
    > how?
    >

    > Sorry it's a long story. I'd be very grateful for any help with this.
    >

    > TIA,
    >

    > Derek.

    Hey,

    The odds of this being all hardware related are pretty slim. I would
    suspect surfing habits. You mention Norton, have you, can you look in
    the report logs and view activity. Also you don't mention any spyware
    scans. See if you can boot to safe mode w/network support. If the
    system is stable go online and downoad ad-aware. Run a scan see what
    happens. Also try Microsoft anti spyware.

    Good luck

    tehball, Nov 29, 2005

  3. DiddyS400

    JTJersey Guest

    On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:37:20 +0000, DiddyS400 wrote:

    > I sold a used computer to a friend (big mistake). It was working fine
    > when he had it, but after a few weeks it kept freezing - only way out
    > was to reboot and then it would freeze again.

    <snip>

    I'd have to agree with tehball. It's his web habits that have more than
    likely caused his problems, not your computers. Your friend is probably
    downloading music from a shareware program at a guess. Go to Trend Micro
    Housecall and do a complete security sweep. It's free and efficient, then
    get rid of Norton System Works and get something cleaner and faster, like
    AVG Free and also install AdAware or Spybot Search and Destroy and run a
    full system scan. I'd be willing to bet that you'll find spyware and at
    least three trojans running on his system.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Nov 30, 2005
  4. DiddyS400

    Fakename Guest

    > Can anyone suggest how I can troubleshoot this nightmare please?

    Give him his money back.

    Fakename, Nov 30, 2005
  5. DiddyS400

    Plato Guest

    JTJersey wrote:

    > I'd have to agree with tehball. It's his web habits that have more than
    > likely caused his problems, not your computers. Your friend is probably
    > downloading music from a shareware program at a guess. Go to Trend Micro

    I/we do some "charity" work. eg for folks who have "very" minimal income
    often my partner and I will work for a 6 pack or a BLT or a $twenty.
    IT's an outlet for some of our older pcs and generally it all works out.
    Still, often you get them up and running, tell them NOT to DO file
    Sharing or INSSTALL the latest version of AOL and WALA, a week later and
    they are calling back. Sure enought, they often ignore the advice. Then
    I/we have to cut them off.

    Plato, Nov 30, 2005
  6. DiddyS400

    Plato Guest

    tehball wrote:

    > The odds of this being all hardware related are pretty slim. I would
    > suspect surfing habits. You mention Norton, have you, can you look in
    > the report logs and view activity. Also you don't mention any spyware
    > scans. See if you can boot to safe mode w/network support. If the
    > system is stable go online and downoad ad-aware. Run a scan see what
    > happens. Also try Microsoft anti spyware.

    I agree. IT's his surfing habits and he's screwing up the pcs with
    spyware and perhaps trojans. Problaby spyware

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Nov 30, 2005
  7. DiddyS400

    DiddyS400 Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > tehball wrote:
    > >
    > > The odds of this being all hardware related are pretty slim. I would
    > > suspect surfing habits. You mention Norton, have you, can you look in
    > > the report logs and view activity. Also you don't mention any spyware
    > > scans. See if you can boot to safe mode w/network support. If the
    > > system is stable go online and downoad ad-aware. Run a scan see what
    > > happens. Also try Microsoft anti spyware.

    > I agree. IT's his surfing habits and he's screwing up the pcs with
    > spyware and perhaps trojans. Problaby spyware
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/
    >
    > Thanks for all that. The only thing is I changed the hard drive for one I

    knew was OK and it was still the same. That's why I thought it must be a
    hardware problem.

    Derek.

    DiddyS400, Dec 1, 2005
  8. DiddyS400

    JTJersey Guest

    On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:21:18 +0000, DiddyS400 wrote:

    > "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    >> tehball wrote:
    >> >
    >> > The odds of this being all hardware related are pretty slim. I would
    >> > suspect surfing habits. You mention Norton, have you, can you look in
    >> > the report logs and view activity. Also you don't mention any spyware
    >> > scans. See if you can boot to safe mode w/network support. If the
    >> > system is stable go online and downoad ad-aware. Run a scan see what
    >> > happens. Also try Microsoft anti spyware.

    >> I agree. IT's his surfing habits and he's screwing up the pcs with
    >> spyware and perhaps trojans. Problaby spyware
    >>

    >> --
    >> http://www.bootdisk.com/
    >>

    > Thanks for all that. The only thing is I changed the hard drive for one
    > I knew was OK and it was still the same. That's why I thought it must be
    > a hardware problem.
    >
    > Derek.

    Wouldn't make any difference how many hard drives you swapped. If his web
    surfing habits are causing the problem there's absolutely nothing you can
    do about it.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Dec 1, 2005
  9. DiddyS400

    DiddyS400 Guest

    > >> http://www.bootdisk.com/
    > >>

    > > Thanks for all that. The only thing is I changed the hard drive for one
    > > I knew was OK and it was still the same. That's why I thought it must be
    > > a hardware problem.
    > >
    > > Derek.

    > Wouldn't make any difference how many hard drives you swapped. If his web
    > surfing habits are causing the problem there's absolutely nothing you can
    > do about it.
    >
    > --
    > Registered Linux User #267152

    Sorry, what I meant to say was that I brought the computer back to my place
    and then swapped the hard drive - still got the same problems with the
    computer.

    Derek.

    DiddyS400, Dec 1, 2005
  10. DiddyS400

    tehball Guest

    DiddyS400 wrote:

    > > > Thanks for all that. The only thing is I changed the hard drive for one
    > > > I knew was OK and it was still the same. That's why I thought it must be
    > > > a hardware problem.
    > > >
    > > > Derek.

    > > Wouldn't make any difference how many hard drives you swapped. If his web
    > > surfing habits are causing the problem there's absolutely nothing you can
    > > do about it.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Registered Linux User #267152
    > >

    > Sorry, what I meant to say was that I brought the computer back to my place
    > and then swapped the hard drive - still got the same problems with the
    > computer.
    >
    > Derek.

    Swapped it with what? A clean install new HDD? Re-reading this I notice
    that there is no mention of operating system. I assumed XP. If it is XP
    you cannot just take a pre-installed XP HDD and install it in onother
    computer and expect it to work. The last OS you could do that with was
    Win98. And even that was Fugly.

    Re-post and let us know the OS. I suggest taking a know good drive,
    format and reinstall Windows. Use as lttle hardware as possible. Ram,
    CPU, HDD, CD, Video. Do not set it up for the internet right away. Test
    it out. See if it is stable with this configuration. If it is, continue
    the journey. Install what ever remaining hardware you have one at a
    time. Check stability. If at the end the system is good then you know
    for sure it is not hardware and you can, with confidence, go to your
    friends house and punch him in the head for downloading crap and
    causing you grief. ;-)

    Good luck

    tehball, Dec 2, 2005
  11. DiddyS400

    DiddyS400 Guest

    > > Sorry, what I meant to say was that I brought the computer back to my

    place
    > > and then swapped the hard drive - still got the same problems with the
    > > computer.
    > >
    > > Derek.

    > Swapped it with what? A clean install new HDD? Re-reading this I notice
    > that there is no mention of operating system. I assumed XP. If it is XP
    > you cannot just take a pre-installed XP HDD and install it in onother
    > computer and expect it to work. The last OS you could do that with was
    > Win98. And even that was Fugly.
    >
    > Re-post and let us know the OS. I suggest taking a know good drive,
    > format and reinstall Windows. Use as lttle hardware as possible. Ram,
    > CPU, HDD, CD, Video. Do not set it up for the internet right away. Test
    > it out. See if it is stable with this configuration. If it is, continue
    > the journey. Install what ever remaining hardware you have one at a
    > time. Check stability. If at the end the system is good then you know
    > for sure it is not hardware and you can, with confidence, go to your
    > friends house and punch him in the head for downloading crap and
    > causing you grief. ;-)
    >
    > Good luck

    Thanks - I'll give it another go.

    Derek.