    kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
    for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's
    the bet most people wont notice any difference?

    David, Mar 31, 2006

  2. David

    PC Guest

    "David" <> wrote in message
    news:9m7Xf.9864$...
    > Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to 3744
    > kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
    > for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's the
    > bet most people wont notice any difference?

    Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
    http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)

    P.

    PC, Mar 31, 2006

  3. David

    Philip Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "David" <> wrote in message
    >> Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to 3744
    >> kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
    >> for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's the
    >> bet most people wont notice any difference?

    > Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
    > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
    >
    > P.

    It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
    without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
    snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
    are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
    government.

    In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
    broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.

    Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle, and Vodafone's
    "broadband" business is delivering mobile access at mobile phone prices,
    which is nothing to do with what most customers want from fixed-line
    broadband.

    But once again, some Treasury nincompoop will nod sagely and say "that
    means that Telecom isn't a monopoly and so doesn't have to be unbundled
    or regulated".

    How do broadband users ever get past this mountain of bullsh that
    Telecom feeds government? I dunno.

    Philip

    Philip, Apr 1, 2006
  4. David

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > PC wrote:
    >> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to
    >>> 3744 kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around
    >>> 1400kbps. So much for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any
    >>> difference anyway. What's the bet most people wont notice any
    >>> difference?

    >> Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
    >> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247
    >> KByte/s) P.
    >>

    > It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
    > without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
    > snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean
    > you are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better
    > to the government.
    >
    > In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a
    > Telecom broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
    >
    > Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle, and Vodafone's
    > "broadband" business is delivering mobile access at mobile phone
    > prices, which is nothing to do with what most customers want from
    > fixed-line broadband.
    >
    > But once again, some Treasury nincompoop will nod sagely and say "that
    > means that Telecom isn't a monopoly and so doesn't have to be
    > unbundled or regulated".
    >
    > How do broadband users ever get past this mountain of bullsh that
    > Telecom feeds government? I dunno.

    It's disgusting isn't it? I'm thinking that the only reason to go to 3.5M is
    to be able to grab some data quickly if/when a window of opportunity opens
    due to the ridiculously high contention ratios.

    At least this issue is getting some media coverage. Let's hope that some
    savvy reporters stick with it and get the message through to the people.
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 1, 2006
  5. David

    RJ Guest

    In article <442dfd75$>, says...
    > PC wrote:
    > > "David" <> wrote in message
    > >> Hmm, it would seem my downstream connection speed has increased to 3744
    > >> kbit/s, but speedtest.co.nz is still giving me around 1400kbps. So much
    > >> for 3.5mbit. I didn't expect it to make any difference anyway. What's the
    > >> bet most people wont notice any difference?

    > > Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
    > > http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
    > >
    > > P.
    > >

    > It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
    > without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
    > snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
    > are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
    > government.
    >
    > In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
    > broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
    >
    > Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

    Is that anyones fault but their own

    Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

    RJ, Apr 1, 2006
  6. David

    shannon Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <442dfd75$>, says...
    >
    >>PC wrote:
    >>
    >>>"David" <> wrote in message

    >>>Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
    >>>http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
    >>>
    >>>P.
    >>>

    >>It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
    >>without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
    >>snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
    >>are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
    >>government.
    >>
    >>In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
    >>broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
    >>
    >>Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

    > Is that anyones fault but their own
    >
    > Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

    Woosh is the sound of the point going over your head

    shannon, Apr 1, 2006
  7. David

    David Guest

    RJ wrote:
    > In article <442dfd75$>, says...
    >> PC wrote:
    >>> "David" <> wrote in message
    >>> Mmmmm, mines showing 3776 kb/s but the speed test at
    >>> http://www.jetstreamgames.co.nz/speed/ still shows 2019 kb/s (247 KByte/s)
    >>>
    >>> P.
    >>>

    >> It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
    >> without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
    >> snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
    >> are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
    >> government.
    >>
    >> In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
    >> broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
    >>
    >> Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

    > Is that anyones fault but their own
    >
    > Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

    Vodafone & Telecom Mobile aren't?

    David, Apr 2, 2006
  8. David

    RJ Guest

    In article <ULHXf.10181$>,
    says...
    > RJ wrote:

    > >> It is all an excuse for Telecom to look good on the headline numbers
    > >> without dealing with the pathetically restrictive data caps and
    > >> snail-paced upload speeds and super-high contention ratios that mean you
    > >> are now worse off than you were, but they can make it look better to the
    > >> government.
    > >>
    > >> In the Herald today Telecom's Bruce Parkes dismissed claims of a Telecom
    > >> broadband monopoly by citing Woosh and Vodafone.
    > >>
    > >> Woosh couldn't compete with a man on a bicycle,

    > > Is that anyones fault but their own
    > >
    > > Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

    > Vodafone & Telecom Mobile aren't?

    Wireless last mile services
    not the same thing
    Its actually local loop infrastructure

    RJ, Apr 2, 2006
  9. David

    whoisthis Guest

    In article <>,
    RJ <> wrote:

    > > > Wireless phone services is big business in other countries

    > > Vodafone & Telecom Mobile aren't?

    > Wireless last mile services
    > not the same thing
    > Its actually local loop infrastructure

    As used by Telecom in the King Country where a wireless link to remote
    communities has been used for decades.

    whoisthis, Apr 2, 2006