3.50 Switched Self To 5.25

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Help Wanted, Nov 27, 2004.

  1. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    Hello,
    HISTORY:
    When i click on a large image my computer freezes up.
    I take it to Comp USA; they put in a new power supply.
    Back home i click on a large image and the computer freezes
    up.
    Send computer to Rita; she "fixes" it.
    Computer back home: i click on a large image and computer freezes up.
    Send computer back to Rita, who says there is nothing wrong
    with it.
    Computer back home: i fire up computer; the little green
    light on the front comes on but that is all it will do.
    Send computer back to Rita, who says power supply is
    fried.
    Rita says there is something wrong with my wall socket
    where the computer has been plugged for about 7 years, and
    that i should try the computer in a different room.
    Computer back home: Now set up in a different room something new has happened
    as the floppy is now saying Outlook Express isnot responding. It never did
    that before.

    I found the file was calling my 3.50 floppy a
    5.25, while the desktop shortcut was still
    calling it the proper 3.50. Clicking on it
    either in the file, desktop etc. sometimes
    freezes up computer, and sometimes sends
    pop-up message, and sometimes doesnot
    freeze up computer, and sometimes doesnot
    send a pop-up saying different things such as
    the “floppy drive blah blah”.

    Comp USA: about $150.00
    Rita: $40.00
    Rita:$70.00

    I work with huge images:
    I had computer upgraded less
    than 3 years ago with a new
    motherboard, CPU and RAM. Then
    something happened (i forget what) and had
    Windows re-installed . I only want to use the
    computer for peripherals, because of
    space/table top limitations.
    I need this Windows because of art programs
    i have gotten use to.

    COMPUTER:
    Microsoft Windows 98
    Second Edition
    4.10.2222A
    Authentic AMD
    AMD Atholon(tm) Processor
    640.0 RAM
    Original Configuration
    Sytem Rssources 83% free
    Virtual Memory 32-bit
    No PC card
    Images Hardware Accelerator on "FULL";
    "File" also on "FULL" .
    1000 MH 100x10 0

    We already know the computer is
    calling my 3.50 a 5.25, and that happened
    after coming back from the repair shop,
    where i have fried 2 power supply boxes in a
    row, and have had replaced. The question is:
    since the floppy drive is freezing up all the
    time, and un-formatting floppies, why isnot it
    freezing up on the boot floppy. There is
    nothing wrong with the floppies, as i am
    testing them out on two other computers.
    There is nothing wrong with the drive since it
    was able to run the boot floppy. There is
    nothing wrong with the wiring, because it can
    run the boot floppy, so what is it . . . I have
    done the dos thingy, and that didnot work. It
    just said something like "floppy drive fail"
    and froze right there in dos, until i was able
    to get back in and put it back to "none" where
    i had changed it to 3.50.

    Help Wanted, Nov 27, 2004

  2. Help Wanted

    dan Guest

    Get a new floppy drive, bot that you really need one.

    dan, Nov 27, 2004

  3. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    Hello, Dan,
    Thank you for your input and
    please go suck an egg . . .

    Help Wanted, Nov 28, 2004
  4. Help Wanted

    dan Guest

    What???!!! I said that you can get a new one, which costs around $6, or
    maybe you don't need one. How did that offend you?

    dan, Nov 28, 2004
  5. Help Wanted

    Help Wanted Guest

    Hello,
    The floppy works. I need to know how it changed
    to a 5.25, and how do i put it back to the
    proper 3.50, so that it will work on
    something besides the boot floppy.

    Help Wanted, Nov 28, 2004
  6. Help Wanted

    dan Guest

    Why would I want to help you now. PEOPLE, DO NTO HELP HIM, HE WAS RUDE AND
    UNPOLITE. You shouldn't jump to calling people names after they are polite.

    dan, Nov 29, 2004
  7. Help Wanted

    James Hanley Guest

    "dan" <> wrote in message news:<uW2qd.154009$HA.90442@attbi_s01>...
    > Get a new floppy drive, bot that you really need one.
    > "Help Wanted" <7957418@127.0.0.1:7501> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Hello,
    > > HISTORY:

    <snip>

    dan's right. TRanslate 'buy a new floppy drive' to Try a new floppy
    drive.
    Take one out of another computer and try it.

    You think that the floppy drive works because a boot disk works in it.
    Fact is, if you ever got a floppy drive failure message then it's not
    ok. I bet the boot disk didn't work that time.
    You probably have a bad floppy connector, floppy cable or floppy
    drive. You have to try putting in a new floppy drive. that is how you
    diagnose.
    Keep restarting your computer, you may find you get a few floppy
    failure messages where the comp doesn't start, it is likely that you
    have a bad floppy connector - that's a mobo problem.

    I'd like to know if there's an adaptor to connect a floppy drive to a
    normal IDE connector. That's a nice way you could test if it is your
    floppy connector that is wrong. OTherwise just try another floppy
    drive in there.
    James Hanley, Nov 29, 2004
  8. Help Wanted

    Wizard Guest

    Nothing polite about you. You've been a pain in the nuts since you
    arrived!

    Wizard, Dec 2, 2004
  9. Help Wanted

    dan Guest

    What do you mean I have been a pain? I've helped people and asked some
    questions. You sent a fake spam report against me because I responded to
    spam telling them to stop. I think you're just to nitpicky. But how have I
    been a pain in the "nuts"?

    dan, Dec 4, 2004