    3.5" 250GB 8MB HDD.

    Any recommendations appreciated.

    Thanks!

    ws, Oct 16, 2005

  2. ws

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:47:57 +1300, "ws" <> wrote:

    >I'm currently using a New Motion 3.5" firewire HDD enclosure, but things
    >aren't going well with it. Quite often it will simply stop working while in
    >the middle of an IO operation, disappear from device manager, and then
    >corrupt the FAT table on the drive.
    >
    >What HDD enclosures are you guys out there using? They can be firewire or
    >USB, but I'd like to buy just a bare enclosure, as I already have a suitable
    >3.5" 250GB 8MB HDD.
    >
    >Any recommendations appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Get one with a Metal Box or sides as this helps to keep the Drive cool.

    I have one that is just called DISK model HD2-U2 on lone from a friend, I
    have seen that listed with usb a Firewire

    This one looks a very similar, the endplate is the same.

    http://www.expansys.co.nz/product.asp?code=114965

    The brand that you have seems to be all plastic, does it have a fan to cool
    the drive..?

    XP, Oct 16, 2005

  3. ws

    MarkH Guest

    "ws" <> wrote in news::

    > I'm currently using a New Motion 3.5" firewire HDD enclosure, but
    > things aren't going well with it. Quite often it will simply stop
    > working while in the middle of an IO operation, disappear from device
    > manager, and then corrupt the FAT table on the drive.
    >
    > What HDD enclosures are you guys out there using? They can be firewire
    > or USB, but I'd like to buy just a bare enclosure, as I already have a
    > suitable 3.5" 250GB 8MB HDD.

    I use one of these:
    http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2

    A couple of friends also use the same enclosure too. It seems to work very
    well and is all aluminium so that the drive can dissipate heat without
    needing a fan. It also handles drives over 137GB with no problems.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    Maskerade

    MarkH, Oct 16, 2005
  4. ws

    Gordon Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:47:57 +1300, ws wrote:

    > I'm currently using a New Motion 3.5" firewire HDD enclosure, but things
    > aren't going well with it. Quite often it will simply stop working while in
    > the middle of an IO operation, disappear from device manager, and then
    > corrupt the FAT table on the drive.

    What size files are you attempting to transfer?

    FAT, has its limits, even in humans.

    Read does it work okay with small, say 1 MB files but not 5GB files.

    Nothing more than thoughts, read I could be way into the weeds.

    Gordon, Oct 16, 2005
  5. ws

    Richard Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > I use one of these:
    > http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=CASICZ740U2
    >
    > A couple of friends also use the same enclosure too. It seems to work very
    > well and is all aluminium so that the drive can dissipate heat without
    > needing a fan. It also handles drives over 137GB with no problems.

    I have the same one, but from XP computers in newmarket. Seems fine, but the
    power brick runs quite hot on it.

    Richard, Oct 16, 2005
  6. ws

    Richard Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > What size files are you attempting to transfer?
    >
    > FAT, has its limits, even in humans.
    >
    > Read does it work okay with small, say 1 MB files but not 5GB files.
    >
    > Nothing more than thoughts, read I could be way into the weeds.

    Why should the size matter? If it disappears from device manager in any case,
    then its faulty.

    Richard, Oct 16, 2005
  7. ws

    Sue Guest

    ws wrote:
    > I'm currently using a New Motion 3.5" firewire HDD enclosure, but things
    > aren't going well with it. Quite often it will simply stop working while in
    > the middle of an IO operation, disappear from device manager, and then
    > corrupt the FAT table on the drive.
    >
    > What HDD enclosures are you guys out there using? They can be firewire or
    > USB, but I'd like to buy just a bare enclosure, as I already have a suitable
    > 3.5" 250GB 8MB HDD.
    >
    > Any recommendations appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks!

    Have a look at the case USB connections - see if they are making a good
    connection.
    Might even be the cable. Tried it with a different cable?
    My 2.5" drive did the same thing you are describing and I discovered one
    of my usb cables did not connect completely.

    Sue, Oct 16, 2005
  8. ws

    PC Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:47:57 +1300, ws wrote:
    >
    >> I'm currently using a New Motion 3.5" firewire HDD enclosure, but things
    >> aren't going well with it. Quite often it will simply stop working while
    >> in
    >> the middle of an IO operation, disappear from device manager, and then
    >> corrupt the FAT table on the drive.

    > What size files are you attempting to transfer?
    >
    > FAT, has its limits, even in humans.
    >
    > Read does it work okay with small, say 1 MB files but not 5GB files.
    >
    > Nothing more than thoughts, read I could be way into the weeds.

    Am using the same enclosure here with a Segate 200MB in it.
    Formatted NTFS.
    Just backed up my two SATA drives to it with Drive Image, one image 36GB,
    the other 40GB.
    No problems at all, case warmish, didn't notice the power brick temp, sorry.

    My pick is USB rather than enclosure problems, but best checked by using it
    on another PC.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 19, 2005
  9. ws

    Not Dave Guest

    On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:47:57 +1300, "ws" <> growled
    these words from under a rock:

    >I'm currently using a New Motion 3.5" firewire HDD enclosure, but things
    >aren't going well with it. Quite often it will simply stop working while in
    >the middle of an IO operation, disappear from device manager, and then
    >corrupt the FAT table on the drive.
    >
    >What HDD enclosures are you guys out there using? They can be firewire or
    >USB, but I'd like to buy just a bare enclosure, as I already have a suitable
    >3.5" 250GB 8MB HDD.
    >
    >Any recommendations appreciated.
    >
    >Thanks!

    Is it a seagate drive?

    Some models of the 200GB+ Seagate drives have a higher power
    requirement than most other drives, and will not work in most
    enclosures.

    I'm not sure which models, but it seems to be the latest ones.

    Not Dave, Oct 19, 2005
  10. ws

    PC Guest

    "Not Dave" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 12:47:57 +1300, "ws" <> growled
    > these words from under a rock:
    >
    >>I'm currently using a New Motion 3.5" firewire HDD enclosure, but things
    >>aren't going well with it. Quite often it will simply stop working while
    >>in
    >>the middle of an IO operation, disappear from device manager, and then
    >>corrupt the FAT table on the drive.
    >>
    >>What HDD enclosures are you guys out there using? They can be firewire or
    >>USB, but I'd like to buy just a bare enclosure, as I already have a
    >>suitable
    >>3.5" 250GB 8MB HDD.
    >>
    >>Any recommendations appreciated.
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>

    > Is it a seagate drive?
    >
    > Some models of the 200GB+ Seagate drives have a higher power
    > requirement than most other drives, and will not work in most
    > enclosures.
    >
    > I'm not sure which models, but it seems to be the latest ones.

    Had a look at the power requirements for Barracuda 7200.x drives (160 -
    500GB)
    Maximum current draw (12v, 5v n/a) 2.6 to 2.8 amps = 31 to 34 watts. (this
    will be start up current no doubt)
    Power management: Seek typical =8.1 to 12.5 watts (0.67 to 1.05 amps)
    Idle typical = 6.9 to 7.5 watts (0.57 to
    0.62 amps)

    By comparison Maxtor DiamondMax_plus 9 (60 to 250GB 7200RPM) have a typical
    Seek power usage of 12.34 watts.
    They don't have the max power draw on the product pdf's.

    FWIW

    Paul.

    PC, Oct 19, 2005