    Joe
    YY
    remove BBB YYY

    Joe, Apr 18, 2006

  2. Joe

    Gordon Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
    > put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
    > before and I don't want to lose what is on it.

    Try the disk in another drive - if it acts normally then your floppy drive
    needs renewing.

    --
    Gordon Burgess-Parker
    www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

    Gordon, Apr 18, 2006

  3. Joe

    Plato Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
    > put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted before
    > and I don't want to lose what is on it.

    Disk drives dont last forever.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 18, 2006
  4. Joe

    me Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
    > put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
    > before
    > and I don't want to lose what is on it.
    >
    > --
    > Joe
    > YY
    > remove BBB YYY

    Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821152005

    me, Apr 19, 2006
  5. me wrote:

    > "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time
    >> I put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
    >> before
    >> and I don't want to lose what is on it.

    > Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821152005

    When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?

    OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
    if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.

    I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
    because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All prices
    US.)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:11:54 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > me wrote:
    >

    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time
    >>> I put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
    >>> before
    >>> and I don't want to lose what is on it.

    >> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821152005

    > When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
    >
    > OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
    > if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
    >
    > I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
    > because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All prices
    > US.)

    I don't have a floppy on my notebook or this PC and don't miss it. However
    I keep a USB floppy I bought wholesale for $30 US around just in case.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  7. Joe

    Mikey Guest

    Joe wrote:

    > HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time I
    > put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted before
    > and I don't want to lose what is on it.
    >
    > --
    > Joe
    > YY
    > remove BBB YYY

    I had the exact same problem with a floppy drive that had worked okay for
    years. The drive had died, I replaced it and everything was fine.

    Mikey, Apr 19, 2006
  8. Joe

    Margolotta Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:11:54 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote
    (in article <>):

    > me wrote:
    >

    >> "Joe" <> wrote in message
    >>> HP 8565 running ME, the 3.5 drive worked fine for years, now every time
    >>> I put in a disc it says to format the disc but it was already formatted
    >>> before
    >>> and I don't want to lose what is on it.

    >> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
    >> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821152005

    > When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
    >
    > OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
    > if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
    >
    > I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
    > because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All prices
    > US.)

    I can't vouch for the quality (because I didn't buy one) but 7dayshop.com had
    1GB pen drives on offer for £10 (roughly US$18) - now that's a lot of storage
    for the price of a new floppy drive!

    Margolotta, Apr 19, 2006
  9. Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 21:11:54 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> me wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Joe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821152005

    >> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
    >>
    >> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
    >> if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
    >>
    >> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
    >> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All
    >> prices US.)

    > I don't have a floppy on my notebook or this PC and don't miss it. However
    > I keep a USB floppy I bought wholesale for $30 US around just in case.

    JIC what? You still have data on floppies? When's the last time you saw
    anything distributed on floppies?

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 19, 2006
  10. Margolotta wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 05:11:54 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote (in article
    > <>):
    >
    >> me wrote:
    >>

    >>> "Joe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Try a new one,they are ultra cheap nowadays.
    >>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821152005

    >> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
    >>
    >> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
    >> if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
    >>
    >> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
    >> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All
    >> prices US.)
    >>

    > I can't vouch for the quality (because I didn't buy one) but 7dayshop.com
    > had 1GB pen drives on offer for £10 (roughly US$18) - now that's a lot of
    > storage for the price of a new floppy drive!

    Indeed. I only buy Lexar, though; I did buy a Corsair 1-gigger for a
    friend (and would've for me, had I not stuck with Lexar).

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 19, 2006
  11. Margolotta wrote:

    > I can't vouch for the quality (because I didn't buy one) but 7dayshop.com
    > had 1GB pen drives on offer for £10 (roughly US$18) - now that's a lot of
    > storage for the price of a new floppy drive!

    Incidentally, I've got a floppy drive in a desktop that someone gave me
    that incorporates the *power switch* with the drive in that bay. The Go
    Button is in the faceplace for that drive. Goofy!

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 19, 2006
  12. Joe

    clot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
    >>>
    >>> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy
    >>> drive, if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling
    >>> with floppies.
    >>>
    >>> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
    >>> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All
    >>> prices US.)

    >> I don't have a floppy on my notebook or this PC and don't miss it.
    >> However I keep a USB floppy I bought wholesale for $30 US around
    >> just in case.

    > JIC what? You still have data on floppies? When's the last time you
    > saw anything distributed on floppies?

    But it helps me transfer info to/from my old faithful - Win 3.1 - still
    going strong!

    clot, Apr 19, 2006
  13. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 14:12:37 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> When he can get 128MB-256MB USB thumb drives for $10-$20?
    >>>
    >>> OP should try the floppy with a friend's system that has a floppy drive,
    >>> if he can find anyone. Get the data. Then stop fooling with floppies.
    >>>
    >>> I just got a Lexar 1GB for $29.99. But I mentioned the 128MB units
    >>> because they're priced around what a new floppy drive costs. (All
    >>> prices US.)

    >> I don't have a floppy on my notebook or this PC and don't miss it. However
    >> I keep a USB floppy I bought wholesale for $30 US around just in case.

    > JIC what? You still have data on floppies? When's the last time you saw
    > anything distributed on floppies?

    Kids still do homework on occasion on floppy. Only twice this year IIRC.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  14. clot wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> I don't have a floppy on my notebook or this PC and don't miss it.
    >>> However I keep a USB floppy I bought wholesale for $30 US around just
    >>> in case.

    >> JIC what? You still have data on floppies? When's the last time you
    >> saw anything distributed on floppies?

    > But it helps me transfer info to/from my old faithful - Win 3.1 - still
    > going strong!

    Holy guacamole!

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 19, 2006
  15. Joe

    clot Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > clot wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> JIC what? You still have data on floppies? When's the last time
    >>> you saw anything distributed on floppies?

    >> But it helps me transfer info to/from my old faithful - Win 3.1 -
    >> still going strong!

    > Holy guacamole!

    You like that sort of food as well?
    It's detatched from the web and I find darned stable!

    clot, Apr 19, 2006
  16. Joe

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 15:32:31 -0700, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > clot wrote:
    >
    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:

    >>> JIC what? You still have data on floppies? When's the last time you
    >>> saw anything distributed on floppies?

    >> But it helps me transfer info to/from my old faithful - Win 3.1 - still
    >> going strong!

    > Holy guacamole!

    Forgot my old Novell 3.12 server boots on DOS 6.22. I bought a set of
    flops a year back just in case I need to reinstall. And the Novell 3.x OS
    is on flops too.

    Meat Plow, Apr 19, 2006
  17. Joe

    Margolotta Guest

    On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:14:05 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote
    (in article <>):

    [snip]

    >> I can't vouch for the quality (because I didn't buy one) but 7dayshop.com
    >> had 1GB pen drives on offer for £10 (roughly US$18) - now that's a lot of
    >> storage for the price of a new floppy drive!

    > Indeed. I only buy Lexar, though; I did buy a Corsair 1-gigger for a
    > friend (and would've for me, had I not stuck with Lexar).

    These were 7dayshop own brand. I have a 2GB SanDisk drive, I believe my
    father's is Transcend (though I can't tell you the capacity - 256MB, IIRC).

    Margolotta, Apr 19, 2006
  18. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Excuse my ignorance but what is a usb thumb drive?
    Universal serial bus I have and use and use a attache
    device, is that what you refer to?

    --
    Joe
    YY

    Joe, Apr 20, 2006
  19. Joe

    clot Guest

    Joe wrote:
    > Excuse my ignorance but what is a usb thumb drive?
    > Universal serial bus I have and use and use a attache
    > device, is that what you refer to?

    I think he meant "Flipper/ Fin Drive". :)

    clot, Apr 20, 2006
  20. Margolotta wrote:

    > On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 22:14:05 +0100, Blinky the Shark wrote (in article
    > <>):
    >
    > [snip]
    >>>>
    >>> I can't vouch for the quality (because I didn't buy one) but
    >>> 7dayshop.com had 1GB pen drives on offer for £10 (roughly US$18) - now
    >>> that's a lot of storage for the price of a new floppy drive!

    >> Indeed. I only buy Lexar, though; I did buy a Corsair 1-gigger for a
    >> friend (and would've for me, had I not stuck with Lexar).
    >>

    > These were 7dayshop own brand. I have a 2GB SanDisk drive, I believe my

    When I got my first Lexar, I had done some research. At that time,
    there were some problems with some of SanDisk's thumbs, and since those
    were the two brands I'd narrowed it down to, I went with Lexar.

    > father's is Transcend (though I can't tell you the capacity - 256MB,
    > IIRC).

    Never heard of that one, either. I'm in the US, for what it's worth.

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 20, 2006