    attempts from Windows 98 and NT machines give me the following error:

    "Invalid Media or Track 0 bad disk unuseable"

    Any suggestions?

    Ludwig77, Jun 25, 2004

  2. Ludwig77

    VWWall Guest

    Ludwig77 wrote:

    > I have an older piece of hardware that requires a 3.5" Double Density
    > 770 k floppy.
    >
    > I was told that one can enter the following command of format a:/f:770
    > from a DOS cmomand shell and reformat an existing standard HD floppy
    > to DD.
    >
    > However I can't do this from the DOS shell command for Windows XP. My
    > attempts from Windows 98 and NT machines give me the following error:
    >
    > "Invalid Media or Track 0 bad disk unuseable"
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Try taping over the hole without the write protect shutter. This will
    allow a format, but be aware that HD drives have heads with smaller
    record gaps to allow them to write 18 sectors/track. Some 760K drives
    may not be able to read floppies prepared in this way, even when they
    have only 9 sectors/track. The old 760K drives also used a thicker
    magnetic coating. It's worth a try!

    Virg Wall
    --
    A foolish consistency is the
    hobgoblin of little minds,........

    VWWall, Jun 25, 2004

  3. Ludwig77 wrote:

    > I have an older piece of hardware that requires a 3.5" Double Density
    > 770 k floppy.
    >
    > I was told that one can enter the following command of format a:/f:770
    > from a DOS cmomand shell and reformat an existing standard HD floppy
    > to DD.
    >
    > However I can't do this from the DOS shell command for Windows XP. My
    > attempts from Windows 98 and NT machines give me the following error:
    >
    > "Invalid Media or Track 0 bad disk unuseable"
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    It's a two-step procedure:

    1) Cover the square hole in the corner of the floppy with a piece of tape
    (there should be two holes - you want to cover the one WITHOUT the
    write-protect shutter). If you hold the disk parallel to the floor, with
    the label side up and the metal shutter away from you, it will be the hole
    on the right.

    2) Use the DOS command "FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9"

    Windows XP doesn't even support the /F:720 switch anymore, but explicitly
    defining the number of sectors and tracks works just fine. It sounds like
    you're using Windows 98 or ME, so the /F:720 switch should still be
    supported.

    I just tried these steps again on an XP machine to make sure they worked.
    Covering the second hole and using the /T and /N switches worked fine.
    When I tried it without taping over the hole, I got the same "Invalid Media
    or Track 0 bad disk unusable" error that you got, so I'm pretty sure taping
    up the second hole is the key step.

    HTH,

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, Jun 25, 2004
  4. Ludwig77

    Jerry G. Guest

    To answer your question, you must first have a 720 kb diskette. Do not use a
    1.44 kb diskette, for it will not work. The syntax to format a 720 kb
    diskette is: FORMAT A: /F:720

    I have never seen a 770 kb diskette!

    __________________________________

    Extracted from:
    http://www.computerhope.com/formathl.htm

    SYNTAX
    Formats a disk for use with MS-DOS.
    FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/F:size] [/B | /S] [/C]
    FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors] [/B | /S] [/C]
    FORMAT drive: [/V[:label]] [/Q] [/1] [/4] [/B | /S] [/C]
    FORMAT drive: [/Q] [/1] [/4] [/8] [/B | /S] [/C]

    /V [:label] Specifies the volume label.
    /Q Performs a quick format.
    /F:size Specifies the size of the floppy disk to format (such as 160, 180,
    320, 360, 720, 1.2, 1.44, 2.88).
    /B Allocates space on the formatted disk for system files.
    /S Copies system files to the formatted disk.
    /T: tracksSpecifies the number of tracks per disk side.
    /N: sectorsSpecifies the number of sectors per track.
    /1 Formats a single side of a floppy disk.
    /4 Formats a 5.25-inch 360K floppy disk in a high-density drive.
    /8 Formats eight sectors per track.
    /C Tests clusters that are currently marked "bad."

    EXAMPLES
    When using the format command remember all information the drive you wish to
    format will be completely erased.
    format a: - Would erase all the contents off a disk. Commonly used on a
    diskette that has not been formatted or on a diskette you wish to erase.

    format a: /q - Quickly erases all the contents of a floppy diskette.
    Commonly used to quickly erase all information on the diskette.

    format c: - This would erase all the contents of your hard disk drive. In
    other words unless you wish to erase all your computers information command
    should not be done.

    --

    Jerry G. GLG Technologies GLG
    ==========================

    Jerry G., Jun 25, 2004
  5. Ludwig77

    Thor Guest

    "Jerry G." <> wrote in message
    > To answer your question, you must first have a 720 kb diskette. Do not use

    > 1.44 kb diskette, for it will not work. The syntax to format a 720 kb
    > diskette is: FORMAT A: /F:720
    >
    > I have never seen a 770 kb diskette!

    Never seen a 1.44kb diskette either. ;-)

    Thor, Jun 25, 2004
  6. Ludwig77

    Ludwig77 Guest

    Scott Gardner <> wrote in message news:<YwKCc.20907$cj3.11723@lakeread01>...
    > Ludwig77 wrote:
    >
    > > I have an older piece of hardware that requires a 3.5" Double Density
    > > 770 k floppy.
    > >
    > > I was told that one can enter the following command of format a:/f:770
    > > from a DOS cmomand shell and reformat an existing standard HD floppy
    > > to DD.
    > >
    > > However I can't do this from the DOS shell command for Windows XP. My
    > > attempts from Windows 98 and NT machines give me the following error:
    > >
    > > "Invalid Media or Track 0 bad disk unuseable"
    > >
    > > Any suggestions?

    > It's a two-step procedure:
    >
    > 1) Cover the square hole in the corner of the floppy with a piece of tape
    > (there should be two holes - you want to cover the one WITHOUT the
    > write-protect shutter). If you hold the disk parallel to the floor, with
    > the label side up and the metal shutter away from you, it will be the hole
    > on the right.
    >
    > 2) Use the DOS command "FORMAT A: /T:80 /N:9"
    >
    > Windows XP doesn't even support the /F:720 switch anymore, but explicitly
    > defining the number of sectors and tracks works just fine. It sounds like
    > you're using Windows 98 or ME, so the /F:720 switch should still be
    > supported.
    >
    > I just tried these steps again on an XP machine to make sure they worked.
    > Covering the second hole and using the /T and /N switches worked fine.
    > When I tried it without taping over the hole, I got the same "Invalid Media
    > or Track 0 bad disk unusable" error that you got, so I'm pretty sure taping
    > up the second hole is the key step.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Scott Gardner

    This worked. Now, will I have to leave the tape on for the disk to be read?

    Ludwig77, Jun 25, 2004
  7. Ludwig77 wrote:

    > Scott Gardner <> wrote in message

    >> I just tried these steps again on an XP machine to make sure they worked.
    >> Covering the second hole and using the /T and /N switches worked fine.
    >> When I tried it without taping over the hole, I got the same "Invalid
    >> Media or Track 0 bad disk unusable" error that you got, so I'm pretty
    >> sure taping up the second hole is the key step.
    >>
    >> HTH,
    >>
    >> Scott Gardner

    > This worked. Now, will I have to leave the tape on for the disk to be
    > read?

    That, I'm not to sure about. I suspect you will have to leave it on. Try
    removing the tape, saving a file to the diskette, and then reading the file
    from the diskette. That should give you a definitive answer.

    Scott

    Scott Gardner, Jun 25, 2004
  8. Ludwig77

    Trent© Guest

    On 25 Jun 2004 07:40:35 -0700, (Ludwig77) wrote:

    >This worked. Now, will I have to leave the tape on for the disk to be read?

    Yes. The drive reads the floppy differently with the hole plugged.
    It thinks its a DD disk. A HD disk has holes on each side. A DD disk
    has a hole on only one side.

    Or...

    You can go out and buy an old IBM PS/2 computer. lol It can format
    both ways.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Ludwig77

    ProfGene Guest

    I don't know if this would work but you might try going into bios and
    changing the floppy drive to accomadate 770k disks if that option is in your
    bios.

    ProfGene, Jun 26, 2004
  10. Ludwig77

    Plato Guest

    Scott Gardner wrote:

    > Ludwig77 wrote:
    >
    > > Scott Gardner <> wrote in message

    > >> I just tried these steps again on an XP machine to make sure they worked.
    > >> Covering the second hole and using the /T and /N switches worked fine.
    > >> When I tried it without taping over the hole, I got the same "Invalid
    > >> Media or Track 0 bad disk unusable" error that you got, so I'm pretty
    > >> sure taping up the second hole is the key step.
    > >>
    > >> HTH,
    > >>
    > >> Scott Gardner

    > > This worked. Now, will I have to leave the tape on for the disk to be
    > > read?

    > That, I'm not to sure about. I suspect you will have to leave it on. Try
    > removing the tape, saving a file to the diskette, and then reading the file
    > from the diskette. That should give you a definitive answer.

    yes leave it on

    Plato, Jun 27, 2004
  11. Jerry G. wrote:
    > To answer your question, you must first have a 720 kb diskette. Do not use a
    > 1.44 kb diskette, for it will not work.

    Sure it will-at worst you might need to tape over the media hole. I
    think it'll work just fine with the hole but I won't swear to that.

    The difference between 720K & 1.44M disks, other than the media hole, is
    the coating on the disk. The coating on the 1.44M disks allow the tracks
    to be spaced more closely (80 tpi, IIRC) than the coating on the 720K
    disks does. Note the word 'allow'. Just because it lets you space the
    tracks more closely doesn't mean that you *must* do that. When the
    tracks are spaced more closely than the coating allows then they 'bleed'
    over & interfere with each other. When they're spaced further apart
    there's no problem. So you can use a 1.44M disk for 720K, no problem.
    But don't try it the other way around even if you find a way to punch
    the media hole. Sometimes it works but often it doesn't.

    Calvin Crumrine, Jun 30, 2004