3-4mp on a budget?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dave Rasmussen, Feb 11, 2004.

  1. I've been scouring the preview websites the last couple days looking for a
    3-4 megapixel camera that can take decent 8*10's though I
    mainly will be using it for personal use, web shots, and selling stuff on
    ebay/amazon. I decided I am going to limit my price and next year get a
    much better camera for the same price. I do this with computers too
    although made a killing after thanksgiving this year on a fairly fast
    consumer grade computer for like 75% off.

    I like the idea of a long zoom and so have been looking at the olympus
    720 (and 730,40,50) which refurbished goes for around $185-$225. I know about the purple
    aberration in backlit or bright lights at night, and the lack of image
    stabilization (I own tripods and a monopod, and a clamp pod). I haven't
    been able to determine if the 720 has a manual focus option.

    I also found a c4000 for around $190 which is a 4mp camera of less optical
    range but lists as having manual focus, has a rangefinder type viewfinder
    which I imagine is much more usable in low light than the evf 700 models.

    Besides if I want to do any low light or long telephoto stuff I have
    a sony camcorder with the 25x optical, albeit vga resolution.

    Can anyone tell me if the 720 has a manual focus mode? Other than that,
    how should I decide between the 720 and the c4000? Any recommendations for
    other makers cameras in this price range? I was looking at the fuji 5000
    but it's not without problems either. And the canon g2/3's are twice the
    price.

    Dave Rasmussen, Feb 11, 2004

  2. Dave Rasmussen

    AArDvarK Guest

    do some reading here: http://www.toshiba.com/taisisd/dsc/
    The PDR-M700 has a 10 power lens and large lcd screen ...

    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 11, 2004

  3. Dave Rasmussen

    AArDvarK Guest

    And a full, clear review:
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/m700.html

    Alex

    AArDvarK, Feb 11, 2004
  4. (Dave Rasmussen) writes:

    > I've been scouring the preview websites the last couple days looking for a
    > 3-4 megapixel camera that can take decent 8*10's though I
    > mainly will be using it for personal use, web shots, and selling stuff on
    > ebay/amazon. I decided I am going to limit my price and next year get a
    > much better camera for the same price. I do this with computers too
    > although made a killing after thanksgiving this year on a fairly fast
    > consumer grade computer for like 75% off.
    >
    > I like the idea of a long zoom and so have been looking at the olympus
    > 720 (and 730,40,50) which refurbished goes for around $185-$225. I know about the purple
    > aberration in backlit or bright lights at night, and the lack of image
    > stabilization (I own tripods and a monopod, and a clamp pod). I haven't
    > been able to determine if the 720 has a manual focus option.

    I recall that there was a stream of protests when the 720 was announced that it
    did not have manual focusing. The other C-7xx cameras do have manual focusing.

    > I also found a c4000 for around $190 which is a 4mp camera of less optical
    > range but lists as having manual focus, has a rangefinder type viewfinder
    > which I imagine is much more usable in low light than the evf 700 models.
    >
    > Besides if I want to do any low light or long telephoto stuff I have
    > a sony camcorder with the 25x optical, albeit vga resolution.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if the 720 has a manual focus mode? Other than that,
    > how should I decide between the 720 and the c4000? Any recommendations for
    > other makers cameras in this price range? I was looking at the fuji 5000
    > but it's not without problems either. And the canon g2/3's are twice the
    > price.

    The c-4000z has a port for connecting an external flash, though the cable to
    connect generic flashs to the camera goes for ~ $40.

    I haven't used either, but I love having a long zoom camera. However since I
    have an image stablizer on mine, I can't tell where you would start to need
    using a tripod.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Feb 12, 2004
  5. Dave Rasmussen

    Larry Guest

    In article <-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
    meissners.org says...

    > I haven't used either, but I love having a long zoom camera. However since I
    > have an image stablizer on mine, I can't tell where you would start to need
    > using a tripod.
    >
    > --
    > Michael Meissner
    > email:
    > http://www.the-meissners.org

    The need for a tripod starts at about 3x for most people, unless they
    have VERY steady hands or are shooting in very good light where you can
    use FAST shutter speed.

    This if from experience of my own. I have done 12x telephoto free hand
    in bright light with a shutter speed of 1/1000, and needed a tripod for
    4x on a dull day or indoors in a weakly lit arena.

    Larry
    Mystic

    Larry, Feb 12, 2004