    Canon ixus II

    Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?
    tom
    Tom, Dec 20, 2003

  2. On Friday 19 December 2003 20:14, Tom wrote:

    > Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of camers
    > that appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone recommend one
    > of the following?
    > Olympus C350
    > Olympus mju300
    > Canon A70
    > Canon ixus II

    I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs for a
    3+- MP camera. Got it off eBay with manual and accessories for around
    $250. Mint condition.

    > Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?

    Depends on your requirements.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group
    Stefan Patric, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
    > On Friday 19 December 2003 20:14, Tom wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of camers
    > > that appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone recommend one
    > > of the following?
    > > Olympus C350
    > > Olympus mju300
    > > Canon A70
    > > Canon ixus II

    > I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs for a
    > 3+- MP camera. Got it off eBay with manual and accessories for around
    > $250. Mint condition.
    >
    > > Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?

    > Depends on your requirements.

    Thanks for your comment, out of interest I compared the C3030 with the A70
    at dpreview and they appeared to be very similar spec cameras, but the A70
    had a better review, what made you buy this camera over the others and
    inparticular the A70?

    Tom
    Tom, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Tom

    R2D2 Guest

    "Tom" <stuck@home> wrote in news::

    > "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
    >> On Friday 19 December 2003 20:14, Tom wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of
    >> > camers that appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone
    >> > recommend one of the following?
    >> > Olympus C350
    >> > Olympus mju300
    >> > Canon A70
    >> > Canon ixus II

    >> I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs
    >> for a 3+- MP camera. Got it off eBay with manual and accessories for
    >> around $250. Mint condition.
    >>
    >> > Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?

    >> Depends on your requirements.
    >>

    > Thanks for your comment, out of interest I compared the C3030 with the
    > A70 at dpreview and they appeared to be very similar spec cameras, but
    > the A70 had a better review, what made you buy this camera over the
    > others and inparticular the A70?
    >
    > Tom

    The 3030 has a faster lens.
    R2D2, Dec 20, 2003
  5. I'd spend a few more $$$ for the A80.................in fact I did.

    I love it.

    Mr.Excitement, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Mr.Excitement" <> wrote in message
    > I'd spend a few more $$$ for the A80.................in fact I did.
    >
    > I love it.

    Yes have been looking at the A80 also, just trying not to drift away from
    the 3.2 mp camera's, although I keep coming back to the A70 and A80.

    Tom
    Tom, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Tom

    Rosedco Guest

    We have an Olympus 3040 which we like - fast lens - 3X zoom - small & compact
    runs on AA batteries

    Rosemarie
    Rosedco, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Tom

    JK Guest

    A new C4000 4 megapixel camera is only around $350 new. The C4000 also
    has much better macro than the C3020. The C4000 can focus to less than
    an inch away! The C3020 only focuses down to around 8 inches.

    JK, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Tom

    Samuel C. Guest

    "Tom" <stuck@home> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "Mr.Excitement" <> wrote in message
    > > I'd spend a few more $$$ for the A80.................in fact I did.
    > >
    > > I love it.
    > >

    > Yes have been looking at the A80 also, just trying not to drift away from
    > the 3.2 mp camera's, although I keep coming back to the A70 and A80.
    >
    > Tom

    Well if u're looking for the best 3mp camera, u might want to check
    out kodak 6340. I love this cam, and I choose this over a A70 because
    of long lasting batteries and the ability to zoom more further etc.
    If you wonder which one, you should check out
    http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,112474,00.asp they have
    good camera reviews on sub 500 dollars. Right now Kodak 6340 costs
    279 while canon still costs 299. Kodak can use three different kind
    of batteries, it is regular, crv3 and litihium for rechargable. It
    also takes 2 batteries into the camera whereas canon requires 4
    batteries and still drains out before kodak can be out. lcd screen
    is 1.8 inch while canon is 1.5 inch. so there's alot of good positive
    things and its ur choice to get whawt u want, i suggest you go to
    store and look at those cameras for a while.. spend a few hours
    playing with them there and decide and think which is best for that
    day then do more research online and keep coming back. I must said i
    spent 6 months researching on cameras and i decided this and i'm sure
    glad i did get this.
    Samuel C., Dec 20, 2003
  10. Tom

    J Guest

    I have a canon S230...I think it's an Ixus II....I'm not sure.
    but it's a wonderful camera. Compact...I can keep it in my pockets easily.
    Takes great pictures...granted...not as advanced manual features as the A70
    or A80...but it's MUCH smaller which was something necessary for me.
    depends on your necessities!
    list some and maybe others can help you more.
    -J

    J, Dec 20, 2003
  11. Tom

    JK Guest

    J wrote:

    > I have a canon S230...I think it's an Ixus II....I'm not sure.
    > but it's a wonderful camera. Compact...I can keep it in my pockets easily.

    Shirt pocket sized cameras have small lenses that don't let much light through.
    They are not good for taking photos indoors with existing light without using
    a tripod.

    JK, Dec 20, 2003
  12. Tom

    fake name Guest

    In article <>,
    (Samuel C.) wrote:

    [snip]
    > ... i suggest you go to
    > store and look at those cameras for a while.. spend a few hours
    > playing with them there and decide and think which is best for that
    > day then do more research online and keep coming back. I must said i
    > spent 6 months researching on cameras and i decided this and i'm sure
    > glad i did get this.

    6 months??? boy, you have a lot of time on your hands! if I were buying
    a house I would probably invest so much time, other wise 1 month for a
    car, 1 week for a camera, and 15 min for a one night stand (last one is
    pure fantasy)
    fake name, Dec 21, 2003
  13. On Friday 19 December 2003 21:34, Tom wrote:

    > "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message
    >> On Friday 19 December 2003 20:14, Tom wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi all, trying to decide on a 3.2 ish digi cam. I see alot of
    >> > camers that appear to have similar specs and price, can anyone
    >> > recommend one of the following?
    >> > Olympus C350
    >> > Olympus mju300
    >> > Canon A70
    >> > Canon ixus II

    >> I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs
    >> for a
    >> 3+- MP camera. Got it off eBay with manual and accessories for
    >> around
    >> $250. Mint condition.
    >>
    >> > Another question, do I need the 4 mp over the 3.2?

    >> Depends on your requirements.
    >>

    > Thanks for your comment, out of interest I compared the C3030 with the
    > A70 at dpreview and they appeared to be very similar spec cameras, but
    > the A70 had a better review, what made you buy this camera over the
    > others and inparticular the A70?

    The C-3030 was the only camera that satisfied most of my requirements.

    The ONE thing that eliminated most all other digital cameras was the
    lack of a PC flash socket (or hot shoe). I also needed a lens that was
    more wide angle than telephoto, which is exactly opposite of most
    higher end consumer digitals. The 3030's 32 to 96 35mm equivalent zoom
    wasn't the exact range I was looking for, but it was close enough. And
    the constant aperture regardless of focal length was an absolute
    necessity. I was going to be using the camera in manual exposure mode
    mostly with portable, non-dedicated, off-camera or studio flash. I
    needed that constant aperture setting.

    And, of course, there was the price. I did find other cameras that were
    as good or even more qualified, but for 3 times (or more) the money?
    No way. Not cost effective. (This was a business purchase, so cost
    effectiveness had to be a consideration.)

    I would have really preferred a 4+ megapixel one to provide a little
    leeway for cropping, etc. In fact, that's where I started my search,
    but none satisfied my requirements as well as the 3030.

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group
    Stefan Patric, Dec 21, 2003
  14. Tom

    J Guest

    like I said...it depends on what Tom is looking for.
    If he's not taking many night pictures but wants a small camera or if he
    doesn't mind using the flash indoors...great!
    if we wants to take night pictures of people indoors while they're moving
    without using the flash...not so great.
    etc..etc...
    -J

    J, Dec 21, 2003
  15. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "Stefan Patric" <> wrote in message

    Thanks, very interesting.

    Tom
    Tom, Dec 21, 2003
  16. Tom

    Tom Guest

    "J" <> wrote in message
    > I have a canon S230...I think it's an Ixus II....I'm not sure.
    > but it's a wonderful camera. Compact...I can keep it in my pockets

    easily.
    > Takes great pictures...granted...not as advanced manual features as the

    A70
    > or A80...but it's MUCH smaller which was something necessary for me.
    > depends on your necessities!
    > list some and maybe others can help you more.
    > -J

    Main points were, I wanted AA batteries, compact flash ( as I have spares
    for my older camera, min 3x optical zoom, more controls than point and
    shoot, and something that could go in a water housing ( although this was
    very low on the list ).

    Top of the list of coarse was that I want to be able to get reasonable
    prints.

    Have been using a 1.3 mp for the past 2 years, it takes good outdoor shots
    but crappy over exposed indoor shots, and have been using it in the surf
    with a water bag.

    I am overdue to move up a couple of MP's

    Tom
    Tom, Dec 21, 2003
  17. Tom

    ratt Guest

    >I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs for a
    >3+- MP camera.

    This camera has pathetic macro capability (they should be ashamed to
    it macro!). Even the normal focus range is terrible. ISO does not go
    lower than 100 (not even AUTO!). I could go on. There are much better
    cameras than this for the $
    ratt, Dec 21, 2003
  18. JK <> writes:

    >Shirt pocket sized cameras have small lenses that don't let much light through.
    >They are not good for taking photos indoors with existing light without using
    >a tripod.

    What do you mean by "small"? For example, the Canon SD10 has a f/2.8
    fixed focal length lens, while the SD100 and S400 have a f/2.8 zoom (at
    the WA end). This is the same as most of the larger non-shirt-pocket
    digital cameras, until you get to higher-end cameras like the G3/G5
    which are f/2.

    Now, if you really want to do indoor available-light photos handheld,
    you should have a SLR, which allows even faster lenses (e.g. f/1.4) and
    also has a sensor that is several stops more sensitive to light. But
    that's not an issue of shirt-pocket vs. larger camera, it's one of SLR
    vs. non-SLR.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 21, 2003
  19. Fuji Finepix S5000 blows the rest out of the water.

    It has 10X optical zoom. All these other cameras combines their optical zoom
    with digital zoom to come out with an overall zoom and it is misleading.
    Even the Fuji Finepix S5000 does this (claims 22x - 10X optical and 2.2
    digital), but it does have a real 10X optical lens and SLR. There isn't a
    better camera for the price IMO. The only drawback to this camera is it's
    size (not as compact as say a Canon A70), but at the same time it is one of
    it's assets because it has a nice grippy ruberized feel to it.

    I have played with a Canon A70 that a friend bought recently and the Fuji
    S5000 that another friend bought. I was really considering the Canon A70
    because it's so popular and all the great reviews until I played with the
    Fuji, which I had never heard of. After playing with both, I am going with
    the Fuji S5000.

    Bill Anderson, Dec 21, 2003
  20. On Sunday 21 December 2003 07:35, ratt wrote:

    >>I rejected all those. The Olympus C3030 better fulfilled my needs for
    >>a 3+- MP camera.

    > This camera has pathetic macro capability (they should be ashamed to
    > it macro!). Even the normal focus range is terrible. ISO does not go
    > lower than 100 (not even AUTO!). I could go on. There are much better
    > cameras than this for the $

    Macro capability, pathetic or otherwise, was not even on my list of
    requirements. Didn't need it, and I'll probably never use it.

    The normal focus range, 31" to infinity, is more than satisfactory for
    my needs. Couple it with the "macro" range of 8" to 31", and I've got
    more focusing range than I'll ever use.

    Why would you want to have a slower equivalent ISO? CCDs are not like
    film. Lower light sensitivity doesn't necessarily mean less noise
    ("grain") or higher image resolution.

    Why not go on? What better cameras can you buy for $250 US, Mint
    condition? I wasn't able to find any; otherwise, I would have bought
    one and not the 3030.

    Here were my major, "must have" requirements:

    3 MP CCD minimum
    Flash sync connector or hot shoe
    Constant, unchanging f-stop across entire zoom range
    Full Manual Mode
    TIFF, RAW or other non-lossy saves
    Non-proprietary battery (prefer AA type)
    Tripod socket
    Ability to take an external flash bracket
    Flash sync at all speeds (for ease of daylight fill-flash)
    Preferred zoom range (optical) 28 to 100 (35mm equivalent)
    Budget -- $300 US or less

    That next to last requirement was not a "must have", but I wanted
    something close. I got 32 to 96. Close enough for government work.

    There were other requirements, but they were mainly cosmetic or
    asthetic, and unimportant as far as this exercise is concerned.

    So, giving the above requirements, what camera(s) would you recommend?

    --
    Stefan Patric
    NoLife Polymath Group
    Stefan Patric, Dec 21, 2003